Author Topic: Chapter 25: Discussion  (Read 71947 times)

charles

• Harem Master
  • LAWNMOWER MASACRE
    • MSN Messenger - charles_wilkinson@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • google profile
    • Email
Re: Chapter 25: Discussion
« Reply #60 on: May 06, 2010, 01:40:26 pm »
Or a Metal Storm grenade launcher.

The thing is that Maytag is usually the ranged attacker in the party when magick fails and she's been disabled without her d-bag of items.

What they really need to do is all go back upstairs and bring down a tsunami of rubber balls to take out Danzig.  The magick users could fetch them, using magick to get them as far as the bottom of the stairs and then WOOSH!  The lot of them push forward the entire pile and Danzig's swinging his lightning rod through rubber hell  ;D... Not likely to happen  :(
CLAN OF THE CATS IS MAKING A COMEBACK! JUNE 8th.  BE THERE!

Churba

• Passion Player
  • The Fresh Prince of Leeds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 06, 2010, 07:15:58 pm »
Or a Metal Storm grenade launcher.

The thing is that Maytag is usually the ranged attacker in the party when magick fails and she's been disabled without her d-bag of items.

What they really need to do is all go back upstairs and bring down a tsunami of rubber balls to take out Danzig.  The magick users could fetch them, using magick to get them as far as the bottom of the stairs and then WOOSH!  The lot of them push forward the entire pile and Danzig's swinging his lightning rod through rubber hell  ;D... Not likely to happen  :(
Dunno about that, the prototype weapon put forward as an austyer replacement that included their grenade launcher tech was ugly as sin.

charles

• Harem Master
  • LAWNMOWER MASACRE
    • View Profile
    • google profile
    • Email
« Reply #62 on: May 06, 2010, 07:52:09 pm »
I didn't know they were still working on guns.  I thought they were only working on grenade launcher attachments.  So in the case of the austeyr, or any country's primary arms, they'd custom build a launcher to suit it.

I think the main advantage Metal Storm has always had is its patents for technology around firing caseless bullets and grenades electronically rather than with some mechanical impact.

The shares are down to about 1.2 cents.  I've actually been thinking of buying $500 worth just to see if they go anywhere.

...But back on topic.  Yeah, I think a good grenade launcher would solve their little problem with Danzig quite nicely.

Azure Priest

• Cage Dancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 07, 2010, 06:48:18 am »
Guess that settles it, the staff IS enchanted. I have yet to see anywhere in Flipside cannon where the characters use a tazer effect without sorcery. Then again, this is THIN MAN research we're talking about, although an expanding staff capable of carrying a current at distance like this would be a highly complex, fragile instrument without sorcery enhancements.

Kiran

• Cage Dancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 07, 2010, 01:32:48 pm »
Totally unexpected :o
I didn't like Glyph but to end as some crisp frite, that's a sad fate.
Of course if he's dead for real...
Damn that will haunt Bern, and Danzig stopped playing, at least it's better that Glyph was made an example than Bern.
I really can't see an exit from this situation for our pack...
Well maybe Glyph when he was outside of that flower range send an SOS signal to his magical buddies, if of course warp box not cuts magical communication from outside world by default.
I'm waiting now patiently how this story will unfold.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2010, 01:35:42 pm by Kiran »

charles

• Harem Master
  • LAWNMOWER MASACRE
    • View Profile
    • google profile
    • Email
« Reply #65 on: May 07, 2010, 02:37:18 pm »
Was that original recipe, or extra crispy?

Damn!  I was half wondering if the comic would go as far as killing Glyph, but discounted it.  Only two saves I see for him now are that either he thought two steps ahead and has some further magick going on here, or he'll get resurrected.  But I'd say his brain is fried crispy so resurrection is probably out of the question.

If Moss really knew about the "stick's" abilities and failed to inform everyone, they really need to slap him silly.

I'm stuck for trying to see a way past Danzig.  Everything tells me that he can pick them off one by one with ease from where he's standing.  Unless they exit the room and cast some spells to ward electricity and give other enhancements, they're doomed.  Another one might be that Suspira goes into a rage and attacks but Danzig holds from killing her, showing the others that they can use her as a shield, knowing he won't kill her because of melter/thin man's interests.  Even Maytag might have a free ride there but I'm kind of doubtful he feels any affection for his nephew.

Beyond all this, I can only imagine them running for one of the doors in the warp box, taking out Escher somehow, or someone coming up with a deus ex machina.

Attack from Maximillian?

BeethroBudkin

« Reply #66 on: May 07, 2010, 04:55:20 pm »
I don't think that Glyph is dead. Does the scouter need a spell to activate? If not, what spell was Glyph refering to in (http://www.flipsidecomics.com/comic.php?i=978)?
« Last Edit: May 07, 2010, 05:30:28 pm by BeethroBudkin »

Foof

« Reply #67 on: May 07, 2010, 06:50:30 pm »
I...did not see that coming.  Wow.  I kinda liked Glyph, too.  But, I wouldn't expect him to live through that.  I doubt Danzig is the kind to let someone who opposed him live.

RoninAngel

• Eternal Lover
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #68 on: May 07, 2010, 07:37:47 pm »
Well.

:(

That's that, I guess. He might have lived through that, from a perspective of narrative, but seeing as Brion likes to kill off male characters, (seriously, other then extras, only male characters have ever been killed to my knowledge) it looks pretty grim for the ol' Glyphster.  :-\ Unlike Suspira's boyfriend, I don't think many are going to miss him too much though.

The only good thing that I can think of happening from this is that now that Danzig has harmed one of the main cast, he may not be long for the world. Well, then he might become a recurring villain too, because now his "threat" is increased, from a narrative perspective (, although it's not as if Glyph was established as a combat powerhouse.) Funny thing is this is the only evil thing that Danzig has done that hasn't really bothered me. Perhaps because it didn't really seem like it was anything other then business as usual. Like, "Yeah, I fried your buddy, but it was nothing personal." He was less rude about it, he gloated less about it then he did the mind-control, the attempted rape or the kidnapping. No mean quips, just zap, flop, done. The main thing is, he's right. He wasted the most expendable character in the party. Nothing to get bent out of shape over, that's kind of his job as the antagonist. It's not like Glyph was particularly charming or sympathetic or had a developed back-story or anything.  :-\
I got 99 problems but a nymphomaniac jester girl ain't one.

Pozf

• Nymphomaniac!!
  • What is a man?
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 07, 2010, 07:42:37 pm »
I don't think that Glyph is dead. Does the scouter need a spell to activate? If not, what spell was Glyph refering to in (http://www.flipsidecomics.com/comic.php?i=978)?

I'm pretty sure the scouter Was the spell, if you look Here you'll notice it wasn't attached to anything, just coming out of his head.

(seriously, other then extras, only male characters have ever been killed to my knowledge)

The sorceress  antagonist in book zero, whose name escapes me at the moment, was killed, and so was Clarien.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2010, 07:45:43 pm by Pozf »
'Science is on the march. Don't get in its way.'

RoninAngel

• Eternal Lover
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #70 on: May 07, 2010, 08:10:40 pm »
never finished book zero. I just didn't enjoy it as much as the current comic.

charles

• Harem Master
  • LAWNMOWER MASACRE
    • View Profile
    • google profile
    • Email
« Reply #71 on: May 07, 2010, 09:57:56 pm »
Well, there were some girls here:
http://www.flipsidecomics.com/comic.php?i=94
http://www.flipsidecomics.com/comic.php?i=308

But outside of book1 we've only really had three major characters die and they've all been male... Unless you count the Bloody Mary side story where she killed her own mother.

EDIT: Sorry, just noticed you said "outside extras" so yeah, just three major characters who have died during the main books.

I recommend finishing Book 0.  It picked up pace and got better towards the end.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2010, 10:00:10 pm by charles »

CrystalDragonSpaceMarine

• Eternal Lover
  • Show me your enemies.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #72 on: May 07, 2010, 11:32:51 pm »
We barely knew ye.

Have fun eating bagels in heaven.

tbeean

• Red Light Worker
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
    • Email
« Reply #73 on: May 08, 2010, 12:52:53 am »
What's surprised me most though, is Fata's reaction. Even she looks shocked at Danzig actually killing someone.

Also, what Danzig says about the 'stun setting' strikes me as strange too.  ???

RoninAngel

• Eternal Lover
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #74 on: May 08, 2010, 02:18:19 am »
He's a sociopath. He realizes the use of having a stun setting, in case he wanted to take prisoners, (which is the case here, he wants to convert the party to slaves and dead slaves aren't worth any money), but he has no problem using the zap function on his staff knowing full well it's lethality. Not that anyone in a sword and sorcery fantasy world is really expected to bring to bear non-lethal weapons in combat, but the casual way he shrugs off Glyphs murder is still chilling.  :-\

Artistics

« Reply #75 on: May 08, 2010, 02:52:01 am »
Why Brion? Does your thirst of cool male character's souls never end?

If Glyph gets up after that, he'll jump to #1 in my personal Awesome Flipside Character Ranking.

Azure Priest

• Cage Dancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 08, 2010, 05:51:39 am »
 :o. Now would be a good time to RUN! Surrendering to these clowns is NOT an option. We all know how he'd like to "play" with them, and then when he's done, it's off to the THIN MAN's labs. Clearly not a pleasant or long- term career gig.

charles

• Harem Master
  • LAWNMOWER MASACRE
    • View Profile
    • google profile
    • Email
« Reply #77 on: May 08, 2010, 05:19:19 pm »
If Glyph gets up after that, he'll jump to #1 in my personal Awesome Flipside Character Ranking.

Don't know if he'll get up on his own, but depending on how magick lightning works in Flipside, I know that people who are struck by lightning have a good chance of surviving if someone is available to administer CPR.  If someone can start his heart he may get away with just some burns to his hand.

Of course if it was a lightning level current that Danzig held on him for more than 5 seconds, the majority of his internal organs, including his brain, have probably been cooked... No resurrection or resuscitation possible from that (quickly applied healing potions?).

See, the only significant female characters who have been available for killing have been Dice and Bloody Mary.  The rest are either too significant or just not the kind you'd expect to meet a battle (Crest's Mum and Vajra).

Our next candidate/s for female victims are probably Morgana (after we've learned enough about her), the steel vipers, Lana and Dice (who I'm predicting will make a return in Eschelon due to some hints written in Book 4).

EDIT: I just figured out one more way they could get past Danzig.  Use those statues in the back corners.  If they're not too heavy, they should be able to push them steadily towards him and hide behind for shelter.  He can batter the sides and front or electrocute the statues all he likes but they'd keep pushing them closer and closer until they're on top of him.  The magick users hang back and when the group is close enough they throw something (brick? anything) at Escher to disrupt his spell and the conjurers unleash hell.

EDIT2: if Moss had been smarter about this, he'd have prepared or swiped a portal to the outside.  They used one to catch Bern and Maytag (not to mention the one in the stairwell) so why could there not be more?
« Last Edit: May 08, 2010, 05:20:54 pm by charles »

Churba

• Passion Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 08, 2010, 05:31:18 pm »
EDIT: I just figured out one more way they could get past Danzig.  Use those statues in the back corners.  If they're not too heavy, they should be able to push them steadily towards him and hide behind for shelter.  He can batter the sides and front or electrocute the statues all he likes but they'd keep pushing them closer and closer until they're on top of him.  The magick users hang back and when the group is close enough they throw something (brick? anything) at Escher to disrupt his spell and the conjurers unleash hell.
True, but old ziggy stardust over there is probably smart enough and strong enough to hit the statues hard enough above their centre of gravity to topple them back onto whoever is hiding behind them or trying to push them.

charles

• Harem Master
  • LAWNMOWER MASACRE
    • View Profile
    • google profile
    • Email
« Reply #79 on: May 08, 2010, 08:57:53 pm »
True.  Even if he wasn't strong enough to overpower them, he's simply put the butt of the "stick" against the wall behind him and then point and set it off... Although that would then depend on the strength of the "stick's" thrust.

Azure Priest

• Cage Dancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 09, 2010, 09:36:53 am »
True.  Even if he wasn't strong enough to overpower them, he's simply put the butt of the "stick" against the wall behind him and then point and set it off... Although that would then depend on the strength of the "stick's" thrust.

That's assuming the statues could be moved at all.

RoninAngel

• Eternal Lover
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #81 on: May 10, 2010, 08:58:36 am »
I feel like the only thing that might get them out of this may be a Deus ex Machina its getting pretty bleak. Which is sad, as they are facing just one guy.

Churba

• Passion Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 10, 2010, 11:41:11 am »

That's assuming the statues could be moved at all.
Well, of course it does, not much point in shoving the things over if nobody is using them, and they're just chilling out by the back wall.

akashayi

« Reply #83 on: May 10, 2010, 12:34:27 pm »
I'm still under the impression that glyph had more of an ace up his sleeve and isn't dead.

Xshu

« Reply #84 on: May 10, 2010, 02:09:06 pm »
Have to agree with you there. Members of the phalanx don't strike me as idiots.

Kiran

• Cage Dancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 10, 2010, 02:26:22 pm »
Well he couldn't predict that Danzig's stick could shock him to death, as far we know the only spell he used was of that visor.
But I'll take any possibility which will help them escape Danzig's grasp.
When they will take sleeping dust, they again will be locked down, but this time with Moss and Fata too, or maybe Danzig will start some experiments on females, anyway the future looks grim.

rachel12

« Reply #86 on: May 10, 2010, 04:59:35 pm »
I have to ask, has Bren ever beaten anyone other than Voulger in his duel with Bren? Seems its talked about what a great fighter she is, but it seems she's getting beaten by everyone she runs across.

vintage

• Collared Pet
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: May 10, 2010, 05:02:19 pm »
I think Crest should do a running kick and knock the bag of sleeping dust back at Danzig and Flower-power ;)

I'd like to believe Glyph's not dead either. And I really hope this fight scene won't end yet.

vintage

• Collared Pet
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: May 10, 2010, 05:08:51 pm »
I have to ask, has Bren ever beaten anyone other than Voulger in his duel with Bren? Seems its talked about what a great fighter she is, but it seems she's getting beaten by everyone she runs across.

She's beaten a fair few people besides Voulger, off the top of my head -- Ashley, Clairen (who apparently was associated with Thin Man), Derricks, and the second time she faced Bloody Mary she was winning and got her to retreat.

Trombonefellow

• Rose Petal Acolyte
  • Push Ki
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Trombonefellow
    • View Profile
    • Twilight Key
    • Email
« Reply #89 on: May 10, 2010, 06:18:03 pm »
If she misjudges her opponent she will likely lose.
I recall the split rose style being very dependant on that.

Aside from that I still like to think Glyph isn't dead, or can be ressurected, I was kinda happy to see him in combat.
I have a boner...*plays a song*