Author Topic: Mistake Thread  (Read 68930 times)

mittfh

• Rose Petal Acolyte
    • View Profile
Re: Mistake Thread
« Reply #120 on: July 02, 2014, 11:47:54 pm »
Is it just me or is the image for Intermission page 2 (#2257) missing?

9_6

« Reply #121 on: July 04, 2014, 04:51:51 am »
It won't load for me too.
Intermission page 3 also won't load.

wowfood

• Tender Young Virgin
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: July 04, 2014, 08:14:24 am »
back tracking slightly but

last panel Should the spell not be Extraction, rather than Abstraction?

weirdguy

• Collared Pet
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: July 04, 2014, 10:07:11 am »
back tracking slightly but

last panel Should the spell not be Extraction, rather than Abstraction?
It's the name of the sword technique/magic, not necessarily describing the action she's performing with it.

Daisuki-chan

• Rose Petal Acolyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: July 04, 2014, 06:22:26 pm »
Yeah, pages 2 and 3 both have no relevant image.

mittfh

• Rose Petal Acolyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: July 05, 2014, 04:53:55 am »
Brion's now posted direct links to the images for Pages 2, 3 and 4 on the main page, since he apparently can't fix the comic pages while on location.

Or, for those too lazy to open a new tab: Page 2, Page 3, Page 4.

Gillsing

• Slave Groupie
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: August 21, 2014, 12:02:50 am »
In the fourth panel of Chapter 40, Page 37 it looks like "childs play" should have an apostrophe: child's play

And in the second word balloon in that panel it looks like "on thier own" should be "on their own".

At the end of the fifth panel it also looks like "knoweldge" should be "knowledge".

Daisuki-chan

• Rose Petal Acolyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: October 08, 2014, 07:15:38 pm »
Chapter 42, page 4 doesn't currently link to page 5 when you click on the image or the "Next >" button.

EDIT: Panel five here reads "comfortabvle" instead of "comfortable".

EDIT: Panel five (counting the backgroundless area containing the first text box as a panel) here reads "crows" instead of "crowd".
« Last Edit: October 13, 2014, 06:37:30 pm by Daisuki-chan »

Daisuki-chan

• Rose Petal Acolyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: November 12, 2014, 10:49:49 pm »
It's been a month, so please forgive me if double posting was not a good idea.

Currently this page links (via redirect) to here instead of to the next page.

Also, panel six here reads "occaisonally" instead of "occasionally".

EDIT: Panel one here reads "occaision" instead of "occasion". The comma after "special" also seems unnecessary.

EDIT: Panel five here has a comma that seems unnecessary after "spectators".

EDIT: Panel four here reads "There's no other options I can choose!" and "Yes, there is!" instead of "There's no other option I can choose!" and "Yes, there is!" or "There are no other options I can choose!" and "Yes, there are!".

EDIT: Panel seven, bubble two here has some unusual coloration in/over some letters, namely perspective, holding, partner, back, and you're.

EDIT: Panel two here reads "I could care less" when "I couldn't care less" is correct. Of course the warden may just use the wrong expression by default, like some humans do...
« Last Edit: December 17, 2014, 07:01:15 pm by Daisuki-chan »

mittfh

• Rose Petal Acolyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: January 02, 2015, 04:44:16 pm »
Not the comic itself, but the Updates page (i.e. Flipside home page)  is currently looking rather confused...

1/2/15 Page 39 is done. (#2427)
12/31/14 Page 39 is done. (#2425  - no image)
12/29/14 Page 38 is done. (#2423)
12/26/14 Page 41 is done. (#2419 - no image)
12/24/14 Page 40 is done. (#2417 - redirect to bookend)
12/22/14 Page 39 is done. (#2415 - redirect to bookend)
12/19/14 Page 38 is done. (#2413 - no image)
12/17/14 Page 37 is done. (#2411)
12/15/14 Page 36 is done. (#2409)
12/12/14 Page 35 is done. (#2407)
12/10/14 Page 34 is done. (#2405)

...perhaps rename the entries for those that have been moved elsewhere on site / deleted?

UmberIsSexy

• Erotic
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: January 19, 2015, 09:39:15 pm »
I'll never let this place drag you down to "its" level not "it's" level

Daisuki-chan

• Rose Petal Acolyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: January 22, 2015, 01:57:17 am »
Panel three here reads "But, it doesn't really change the simple truth:", which seems to be an unusual pause after "But", if that's what it is.

Panel seven here reads "phtsical" instead of "physical".

sunphoenix

• Kinky
  • "..you have to give love to get love." -Wendy Pini
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #132 on: January 22, 2015, 04:39:51 am »
Also in the Comic's menu of pages... we skipped page 47 and went right to 48. :)
"...no amount of force can control a free man, a man whose mind is free.  No, not the rack, not fission bombs, not anything - you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is Kill him." - Robert A. Heinlein

Daisuki-chan

• Rose Petal Acolyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: January 22, 2015, 05:48:56 pm »
Page 46 was a double, i.e. actually pages 46-47, so this doesn't seem like a mistake, at least beyond not labeling page 46 as pages 46-47, which may be a limitation of Keenspot for all I know.

Shazam

• Collared Pet
  • Better than Morning Coffee
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: January 23, 2015, 12:22:20 pm »
7th frame: phtsical should be physical

Daisuki-chan

• Rose Petal Acolyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: January 23, 2015, 06:09:24 pm »
Page 48 links via redirect to here instead of to page 49.

Enkida

• Collared Pet
    • View Profile
    • Baldur's Gate Portraits
« Reply #136 on: February 02, 2015, 06:51:59 am »
Chapter 42, pages 52-53 :  polly's outfit makes a radical change (high zippered neck to bikini)
2 kids = no more comics, but you can still find me doing BG portraits now and then

ixi

• Fresh Meat
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: February 20, 2015, 02:29:59 pm »
Chapter 42 Page 60

Panel 1 - True Strike Dora Nen - no sword on back
Panel 4 -  Sword on back.

Not sure if it was 'materializing' in panel 4...if so, nevermind!

Daisuki-chan

• Rose Petal Acolyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: February 25, 2015, 07:25:04 pm »
Panel four here (intermission page 3) reads "whenver" instead of "whenever".

Panel three here reads "All she could do was to keep her distance." It seems like it might be better if it read "All she could do was keep her distance." or "It was all she could do to [just] keep her distance." instead.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2015, 04:47:25 pm by Daisuki-chan »

Enkida

• Collared Pet
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: April 27, 2015, 10:05:57 am »
Chapter 43, Page 25, panel 2: Bernadette's left hand is coloured in black, as though she was wearing a glove, which she hasn't been for the rest of the chapter.
2 kids = no more comics, but you can still find me doing BG portraits now and then

Daisuki-chan

• Rose Petal Acolyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: May 04, 2015, 10:06:20 pm »
Panel two here reads "a warriors' pride" (if nothing else using an indefinite article before a plural) instead of "a warrior's pride".

EDIT: I meant "a"/"an", not "the"; corrected "article" to "indefinite article".

Panel four here reads "counter attacked" instead of the much more usual spelling "counterattacked".
« Last Edit: May 28, 2015, 06:15:34 pm by Daisuki-chan »

9_6

« Reply #141 on: June 02, 2015, 08:28:04 am »
http://flipside.keenspot.com/comic.php?i=2561
Bunch of bad habits in panel 2 here.

Okay so the upper toothrow? Doesn't go down on its own.
It's pretty much a plane line.

So if perspective curves the upper toothrow down a lot, you are tilting your head upwards a ton, to the point at which you probably won't be able to see the lower backteeth at all no matter how open the mouth is.
This is not what is happening here though, it's a slight tilt and his mouth is just in a weird spot and the curvature of the upper toothline makes no sense.
Tilting your head upwards slightly also makes the nose go up.

Another thing:

Chin confirmed. Chin is a thing. Chin does not disappear from opening your mouth a lot.

So lets straighten the upper toothline in accordance with perspective and move the nose and mouth up a bit to support the tilt and create room for chin and make the low toothline longer by adding some toothy marks and see what happens:

I'm also not sure if anyone on the face of this planet would scream by having narrow upper lips and widening the mouth towards the bottom but that's secondary if the groundwork doesn't support it anyway.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2015, 08:35:40 am by 9_6 »

Daisuki-chan

• Rose Petal Acolyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: June 15, 2015, 04:50:01 pm »
Panel one here reads "you new" instead of "your new".

Panel five here reads "simulteneously" instead of "simultaneously".

Panel four here reads "re-inventing" instead of "reinventing".

Panel five here reads "anamoly" instead of "anomaly".
« Last Edit: August 21, 2015, 11:40:59 pm by Daisuki-chan »

Brion Foulke

• Administrator
  • Experimental
    • AOL Instant Messenger - flipsider99
    • View Profile
    • www.flipsidecomics.com
    • Email
« Reply #143 on: August 22, 2015, 02:46:00 pm »
Thanks everyone for continuing to help by pointing out mistakes!

Just to let you know, everything mentioned so far in this thread should now be fixed, with the exception of a couple of nit-picks that I didn't feel strongly about.  Everything else should be fixed!

Daisuki-chan

• Rose Petal Acolyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: August 29, 2015, 07:13:23 am »
Panel four here reads "Would honest win them over?" instead of "Would honesty win them over?" or "Would being honest win them over?".

Panel six here reads "body-type" instead of "body type". I don't know the context for "body-type", though, just that the words in our world aren't connected by a hyphen.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2015, 09:42:26 pm by Daisuki-chan »

Enkida

• Collared Pet
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: September 16, 2015, 01:13:34 pm »
Chapter 44 page 23 spelling error, it should be

excruciating

with a c not two t's

and thanks for fixing the other mistakes! I hate to do this to you, but when you fixed chapter 43, page 25, panel 2's black glove problem, you forgot to redraw the 3 ring bracelet thing on her arm though  :-X   sorry!

*knits all the picks*
« Last Edit: September 16, 2015, 01:18:23 pm by Enkida »

Daisuki-chan

• Rose Petal Acolyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: September 16, 2015, 11:24:13 pm »
Panel four here reads "One moment you feel like you're in an oven, the next moment you're in a blizzard.". Maybe this is how Maytag speaks (so it's not necessarily a mistake), but I would personally say "and the next moment you're in a blizzard." or "and the next moment you feel like you're in a blizzard." (the latter replacement mirrors the first part of the full sentence).

bulmabriefs144

• Kinky
  • Wielder of the Sword of Sorrow
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: September 17, 2015, 08:22:05 am »
In the English language, that's perfectly legitimate.

Phrase group (Subject verb object etc but not quite a sentence), conjunction (and/or/but usually) new phrase group.

Sentence; conjunction (however/nevertheless/regardless), new sentence.

Sentence; new sentence (sometimes, it has to be a distinct sentence but also has to be part of the new one).

Phrase group, pseudo-conjuction (that is, a word that functions as a conjunction) new phrase group.

Sentence; pseudo-conjunction, new sentence.

The cold ice blanketed the frozen tundra, as if to say that nothing in life would ever be warm again.

"As if to say" is a pseudo-conjunction.  "The next moment" is also one. It may work better like this, though. "One moment you feel like you're in an oven; the next moment, you feel like you're in a blizzard." (Going from "you feel like", to "you're" is poor sentence agreement)
« Last Edit: September 17, 2015, 08:35:02 am by bulmabriefs144 »
"この世界の悪があれば本当に、それは人類の心の内にあります."
(Truly, if there is evil in this world, it lies within the heart of mankind)
—Edward D. Morrison

Daisuki-chan

• Rose Petal Acolyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: September 19, 2015, 03:36:05 am »
Well, I typed a lot in response, but it amounts to far too much highly subjective evaluation of what Maytag said and how it relates to the rest of what she said in that speech box or even to what she said in the other panels' speech boxes for it to be worth Brion reading. As I said in the first place Maytag could simply speak that way, and to expound upon that it could simply be that she spoke that way at that time rather than speaking or meaning to speak that way at all times.

Your alternative ("One moment you feel like you're in an oven; the next moment, you feel like you're in a blizzard.") to what Maytag said uses a semicolon, which I rejected out of hand when making my post for being "unnatural" speech, especially when it's hard to convey that you used a semicolon to a listener, which is the context I am using for Maytag's speech to her audience of characters in the story. I don't know why you put a comma after "the next moment" in your alternative, either. Your example needed no comma after "as if to say", nor would anyone ever normally put a comma after ", and", to relate back to conjunctions.

Anyway, your example (The cold ice blanketed the frozen tundra, as if to say that nothing in life would ever be warm again.) doesn't work well for me at all, because you changed so many things so greatly. You decided to change what Maytag used to "as if to say", and then followed "as if to say" with figurative speech meant to enhance the first part of the sentence, which is definitely not what Maytag was doing, as she was merely descriptively listing multiple occurrences. These occurrences contrasted with each other, but were nonetheless independent from each other. Your example instead contained one occurrence (and hence no listing; Maytag was actually listing occurrences for the bulk of that page) followed by technically unnecessary (from the perspective of relating occurrences) figurative language. At best I could relate your example to either part of the sentence (each having an occurrence with a level of figurative enhancement, although less figurative and more descriptive relative to your example), but not to the complete sentence, which would make the conjoining unrelated, as this comes after a complete part of Maytag's sentence, but in the middle of your example. I also have never seen "the next moment" used under Maytag's circumstances, so it's definitely not going to feel natural to me unless you can make it make sense using more directly comparable example sentences than the one you gave.

EDIT: I still think your example was inadequate, but perhaps the gist of things is that "the next moment" is similar to just saying "then", but she didn't actually say "then", so I don't think of it the same way. I avoided suggesting replacing anything with "then" in the first place, too. It just feels too awkward to me in some sense to treat "the next moment" as if it was "then". I guess you can get away with listing things with just "then", but it's awkward to me to just let anything that functions similarly count as being "then". "Then" itself in this sense is an adverb, but thinking of the phrase "the next moment" as actually being an adverb is a bit much for me. How abstracted from the normal way of speaking can one get before something becomes "unnatural"? For example, would it be fine to say "One moment {}, another moment {}.", too? It gets weird at some point!
« Last Edit: September 20, 2015, 12:30:06 am by Daisuki-chan »

bulmabriefs144

• Kinky
  • Wielder of the Sword of Sorrow
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: September 20, 2015, 10:14:24 pm »
Oh I definitely wasn't telling you to change it to that. I was just pointing out that English is a strange and complicated language (using example sentences to illustrate this), complicated even further by stuff like newspaper jargon, which routinely uses commas as sort of "mini-ands".

I also thought the semicolon was awkward. I'll let you figure out what (if anything) to do with it, it's just that this wasn't an absolute grammatical rule.

An actual thing to edit is also on this page, though.

"Excruciating" not "excrutiating".
« Last Edit: September 20, 2015, 10:16:35 pm by bulmabriefs144 »
"この世界の悪があれば本当に、それは人類の心の内にあります."
(Truly, if there is evil in this world, it lies within the heart of mankind)
—Edward D. Morrison