Author Topic: Chapter 24: Discussion  (Read 55979 times)

Azure Priest

• Cage Dancer
    • View Profile
Re: Chapter 24: Discussion
« Reply #240 on: April 02, 2010, 07:27:12 pm »
"not very bright, are you?" Brighter than YOU, Moss. At least he's asking the RIGHT questions. As for Danzig's staff. I thought it was mechanical not magical. I mean by using springs correctly, you COULD get an expanding and retractable rod just like the one Danzig's using. In fact, there are several companies that make such devices. Some umbrellas, fishing rods, and rescue ladders work on the same principle here in RL and they obviously don't use sorcery to work.

Churba

• Passion Player
  • The Fresh Prince of Leeds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: April 02, 2010, 07:55:58 pm »
Yes, but we also live in a world which doesn't have such magic. If we lived in a world where simple, everyday tasks and items could literally be enchanted for a function, do you think that it would be that unreasonable of a thing to say, especially considering the person holding the staff appears to have easy access to a vast array of magical resources?

Yes, it's an absolutely reasonable assumption in the real world that something like that uses simple mechanical devices, rather than some advanced technology that may or may not be indistinguishable from magic.  But Flipside does not take place in our world, it takes place in a world of magic, sorcery, and far lower technology and manufacturing capability than ours.

Also, It's doubtful that you'd be able to make a staff like that with springs alone - to have one of that length, to move with that speed, you'd need a very strong spring, and you'd need to either crank it back by hand, or have a motor inside that pulled it back in, and it wouldn't move with the speed shown of Danzig's staff. You would also be able to have a spring system that both expanded and retracted the staff, by launching a weighted end out and locking it, so that when you pressed another button to release the lock, it would use the tension from the extended spring to come back, rather than the compression to spring outward - though It would be very hard to do on that scale - hell, it's hard enough to do on the size of a walking stick, let alone something that looks to be longer than a polearm.
Also, it wouldn't be able to pull back in a quarter or half of the way, and then pop back out again at speed on a spring system alone - on a spring, you'd have to retract it all the way to "Re-cock" the staff, as it were, and unless you had some sort of locking mechanism, it would just compress on impact - in other words, it would be an all or nothing deal - all the way in, or all the way out, nothing in the middle.

CrystalDragonSpaceMarine

• Eternal Lover
  • Show me your enemies.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #242 on: April 03, 2010, 05:39:07 pm »
still... WILL SOMEONE REMEMBER THE DAMNED MAGICK SWORD!  it should be right on the floor behind them where Bern dropped her bag before the fight.  *sigh* I'm guessing the Moss was mainly hoping for Maytag to have her projectiles.

also... I wonder what else Suspira has in her own D-Bag, or if Glyph has one.

Of course, Bern can't use her sword because she only has one, and she needs two...

Or at least, that's what they said awhile back.

Kanazaka

• Hot Streaker
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: April 03, 2010, 07:24:19 pm »
Yeah, I hope Glyph left to get something and come back, and he's not just acting like a pussy  :P.  I have my fingers crossed.

Kiran

• Cage Dancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: April 04, 2010, 05:12:27 am »
Finally Bern, the sword!

Mr Danzig will get some surprise now, since he doesn't know it's anti-magical sword type.
And I say I'm quite curious what's a real value of Bern's weapon.
I would not be surprised if Glyph would somehow managed to disable the flower guy somehow while Bern will go for Danzig in some next pages...

BeethroBudkin

« Reply #245 on: April 04, 2010, 08:50:15 am »
Glyph is a lover, not a fighter  :P

charles

• Harem Master
  • LAWNMOWER MASACRE
    • MSN Messenger - charles_wilkinson@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • google profile
    • Email
« Reply #246 on: April 04, 2010, 05:52:07 pm »
If it wasn't for Danzig's last comments, I'd almost think Crest was drawing the sword.

Bern will no-doubt be out of her favoured style and is badly injured, but if she can just get one hit on that magick stick with her anti-magick sword, then hopefully the rest of them can take him out.

I'm just worried that she's already too injured to fight.  If Danzig was smart he would have pushed his advantage and attacked them rather than give 'em time to strategise.  I still suspect that Glyph is going to enhance himself with his magick and return to the fight.
CLAN OF THE CATS IS MAKING A COMEBACK! JUNE 8th.  BE THERE!

wodan46

« Reply #247 on: April 04, 2010, 06:02:20 pm »
Glyph's actions were sensible.  Bern's a better fighter, Suspiria's a better caster, and Maytag's a better rogue.  He can accomplish nothing by being there, so it makes more sense for him to go cause trouble elsewhere.

That said, where's Melter?  He's probably just as dangerous as Danzig and Escher, but he's nowhere to be seen, and may have turned Suspiria into a Manchurian agent or something anyways.

Azure Priest

• Cage Dancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: April 05, 2010, 07:21:51 am »
"Fabulous secrets were revealed to me, the day I raised my enchanted sword and said 'by the power of Flipside!'.... I HAVE THE POWER!"

akashayi

« Reply #249 on: April 05, 2010, 01:09:43 pm »
Heh, as nice as it would be to see Crest take some ass kicking initiative, it means so much more for Bern to take up a magical weapon to fight.

Melter didn't seem like someone who spent much time with Danzig and crew, or the type to stick around so it's no real surprise that he's not there.

RoninAngel

• Eternal Lover
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #250 on: April 06, 2010, 01:01:42 am »
I think that some of you guys are not giving Glyph a fair shake. On the one hand, he could be actually running to get something that might be useful. On the other even if he is running away, at least he has the wits to do something more constructive then just criticizing every idea that Crest has to improve the situation (like fucking Moss, the ****  >:( ) or just standing there with a stupid look on their face (like everybody else).   

Quote from: Azure Priest
"not very bright, are you?" Brighter than YOU, Moss. At least he's asking the RIGHT questions.
[in the voice of The Ultimate Warrior/] AMEN, BROTHER TESTIFY!

I hope Bernadette takes the anti magic sword sticks it in Danzig, and then cuts out that Transsexual-Transvestite-From-Transylvania-Wannabe's  guts.  >:(
« Last Edit: April 06, 2010, 01:10:03 am by RoninAngel »
I got 99 problems but a nymphomaniac jester girl ain't one.

Kiran

• Cage Dancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: April 06, 2010, 10:50:57 am »
I hope Bernadette takes the anti magic sword sticks it in Danzig, and then cuts out that Transsexual-Transvestite-From-Transylvania-Wannabe's  guts.  >:(
Better not, that guy will actually enjoy such a thing...

charles

• Harem Master
  • LAWNMOWER MASACRE
    • View Profile
    • google profile
    • Email
« Reply #252 on: April 06, 2010, 03:43:30 pm »
I can see our Bernadette kickin' arrrrrse
Got the sword for it
Just can't wait for it

tbeean

• Red Light Worker
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
    • Email
« Reply #253 on: April 07, 2010, 09:52:22 am »
Better not, that guy will actually enjoy such a thing...
-shudder-

Kiran

• Cage Dancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: April 07, 2010, 11:28:19 am »
EH!?

Now with this cliffanger we have to wait for next chapter...

Don't tell me the sword won't work cause it needs to be used with it's double, or it's protected with some magical password and is sealed currently, or Danzig's weapon is not magical kind after all.

ludo

« Reply #255 on: April 07, 2010, 01:02:22 pm »
Notice: I'm not that good in english. If you don't understand my sentences, just tell me. I will try to express myself better.

If I remember  well, that weapon is designed to destroy magical weapon in the meaning "power of magical weapon" ? It's not an ultimate weapon like Excalibur. I don't expect that the sword cuts the stick, but do a dispel magic on it.

Also, Crest could be used as decoy. There is only one man with a big stick. On the other side : 3 swords. Fighting two opponents is more difficult than an one to one duel, except for kung-fu masters.

Bern needs to focus on her opponent and don't pretend to be overloaded.

But there is something weird in the last page : Danzig is doing an estoc, which can't be stopped like that. Bern needs to dodge or parry. If parry, she needs to change position and move on one side of the stick (here, to the right) and offer her shoulder to the opponent. A fighter needs to be always behind his weapon, it's a matter of stability. Also, the stick should have deviated (remember, parry). If the parry is successful,  the opponent is vulnerable to counter attack. Magical weapon or not. I'm not an expert, but ... Bern would not too much be embarrassed by the stick.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2010, 01:08:52 pm by ludo »

Xshu

« Reply #256 on: April 07, 2010, 01:42:02 pm »
...It's a stick. Dodge it once and then just grab it away from him. There's a reason you don't stick real weapons out that far unless they're blades.

Oddball

• Nymphomaniac!!
  • Me the 13th Duke of Wymbourne are they quite mad!
    • MSN Messenger - oddballsco@hotmail.co.uk
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - oddball24sco
    • View Profile
    • Myspace Profile
    • Email
« Reply #257 on: April 07, 2010, 02:07:34 pm »
HEHEHE grab the stick and hold a limbo dance compation................How low can you go?  ;D
What good is dreaming it if you don't actually do it?.

Abstract Vagabond

« Reply #258 on: April 07, 2010, 02:11:10 pm »
I wonder where the assumption that the stick is magical came from? I don't recall magic weapons having switches. In other words, I think the stick is mechanical, this Bern's magic sword has as much effect as her regular swords.

Either that or if the stick is magical, then it means her anti-magic sword doesn't work without the matching pair.

charles

• Harem Master
  • LAWNMOWER MASACRE
    • View Profile
    • google profile
    • Email
« Reply #259 on: April 07, 2010, 03:23:11 pm »
I can't imagine why the sword wouldn't work without it's "twin" that her father has.  Otherwise, why would her father bother leaving the sword behind and taking one if their useless appart?

I'm betting either:
1. The sword needs to be activated when used (i.e. "Angel Breath", another button or such)
2. The sword doesn't do what Orrasong was told it would do. (Maybe this one does something else and the other sword is/was the anti-magick one)
3. It's done what it's supposed to do and Danzig's stick will no longer retract or show any other signs of it's magickal enhancement.

RoninAngel

• Eternal Lover
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #260 on: April 07, 2010, 03:26:52 pm »
EH!?

Now with this cliffanger we have to wait for next chapter...

Don't tell me the sword won't work cause it needs to be used with it's double, or it's protected with some magical password and is sealed currently, or Danzig's weapon is not magical kind after all.
That would be too cheap.
Brion wouldn't waste a perfectly good Chekhov's Gun like that.

BeethroBudkin

« Reply #261 on: April 07, 2010, 04:06:55 pm »
Danzig seemed to be pretty confident that the sword would do nothing, making me believe that the staff/stick is not magical, perhaps he is enhancing himself through magic and the stick is normal.
*captain obvious*

Whatever the case is.... Glyph to the rescue!
« Last Edit: April 07, 2010, 06:13:33 pm by BeethroBudkin »

charles

• Harem Master
  • LAWNMOWER MASACRE
    • View Profile
    • google profile
    • Email
« Reply #262 on: April 07, 2010, 04:57:54 pm »
I suspect a Super Glyph is about to appear, but the only other option left to Bern now is to hand that sword to Crest, pick up her own and hope that the two of them attacking together will be enough to get close to Danzig.

Apparently Crest is supposed to have some real tallent for swordsmanship, he's just out of practice and such, but if nothing else he'd hopefully take at least one hit from the staff and let Bern close in that little bit further to reduce the leverage of that "stick"

RoninAngel

• Eternal Lover
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #263 on: April 07, 2010, 05:33:59 pm »
That's fucking stupid.  >:(

I am of sick of this arch. Too many fucking twists.  >:(
I am sick of fucking smug Danzig talking like he knows everything.  >:(
I am sick of Moss and his fucking smug cruelty and his fucking smug attitude problem. >:(
I am sick of the fucking stupid warp box and it's annoying illusions and deviations from reality.  >:(
I am sick of the other characters standing around gawping and being unheroic.  >:(
I am sick of mind control, attempted rape, anti-magic flowers, secret passages, illusions, asshole villain characters and I AM SICK OF NOT KNOWING WHAT IS GOING ON!!!!!!!!
>:( >:( >:(
« Last Edit: April 07, 2010, 05:36:19 pm by RoninAngel »

ludo

« Reply #264 on: April 07, 2010, 06:49:15 pm »
I suspect a Super Glyph is about to appear, but the only other option left to Bern now is to hand that sword to Crest, pick up her own and hope that the two of them attacking together will be enough to get close to Danzig.

Released.

CrystalDragonSpaceMarine

• Eternal Lover
  • Show me your enemies.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #265 on: April 07, 2010, 08:31:03 pm »

I am sick of mind control, attempted rape, anti-magic flowers, secret passages, illusions, asshole villain characters and I AM SICK OF NOT KNOWING WHAT IS GOING ON!!!!!!!!

Exactly my complaint about real life.

charles

• Harem Master
  • LAWNMOWER MASACRE
    • View Profile
    • google profile
    • Email
« Reply #266 on: April 07, 2010, 11:50:07 pm »
@Ronin: At least you're not sick of rooms full of squishy balls under trap doors for no apparent reason  :P

Azure Priest

• Cage Dancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: April 08, 2010, 11:40:02 am »
There IS another possibility. Danzig or one of his agents may have SWITCHED Bern's "anti-magic" sword with another that looks like it while going through her stuff. Then again, maybe the staff is mechanical as opposed to "heavily enchanted" as Bern thought and it's just that Danzig has practiced extensively in using the extend/retract functionality to maximum effect. (He uses the staff's own weight to counter the loss of momentum inherent in any kind of mechanical device, the simplest being two opposing sets of springs with latches to "lock" the staff in the new state.)

BeethroBudkin

« Reply #268 on: April 08, 2010, 03:07:01 pm »

Exactly my complaint about real life.

Do you have a lot of mind control, anti-magic flowers, secret passages and illusions in your life? Lucky  >:(

CrystalDragonSpaceMarine

• Eternal Lover
  • Show me your enemies.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #269 on: April 08, 2010, 06:45:54 pm »
Do you have a lot of mind control, anti-magic flowers, secret passages and illusions in your life? Lucky  >:(

Of course. We all do. There are anti-magic flowers everywhere. Why else do you think cool magic doesn't exist?

Illusions? Everything is an illusions. Free will...true love...happiness...justice. All of it.

Mind control? We are puppets to our bodily desires.