Author Topic: Chapter 24: Discussion  (Read 55973 times)

CrystalDragonSpaceMarine

• Eternal Lover
  • Show me your enemies.
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Chapter 24: Discussion
« Reply #210 on: March 29, 2010, 10:23:49 am »
Bottom left panel sums it all up.
Bern getting beaten the crap out of while everyone else just stands around like statues.
They even look kinda bored.
DO SOMETHING!

I know, maybe moss has some super special awesome plan and does indeed not give a fuck. That would be in character.
Everyone else should at least, you know, look a bit concerned and not be all like "Oh no, don't die etc.".

It's their stiffness.

It's Dragonball!

Seriously though...grab the guy's rod and have a tug of war.

And then have someone run of and punch Escher in the face, steal his flower, and throw it hella far!

tbeean

• Red Light Worker
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
    • Email
« Reply #211 on: March 29, 2010, 12:02:48 pm »
so much for suspira being a genius. i hope she does something soon.  :'(

Kiran

• Cage Dancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: March 29, 2010, 12:16:16 pm »
I too was annoyed by that last panel.
Oh look Bern got owned, and there's not even one concerned face there,May or Crest wtf?
But it maybe happened to fast for them to be able to react or they can't belive Bern lost the fight.
I want to see again composed Bern taking the fight into her own pace, damn she's so not-Bern like anymore, seems all her previous abusing experience (being 3 times abused and embarassed by magic in a row is enough) got into her a bit too much, and now she's abused by magical(or mechanical?) stick.
I really hope she will start to think, Bern cool down and use your mind to plan some tactic here and use other guys for help, seems indeed her style is a child style like that old guy was telling before, seems Danzig is too fast for her defensive style in the end.
Time to grow up in your swordmanship Bern!

Brion Foulke

• Administrator
  • Experimental
    • AOL Instant Messenger - flipsider99
    • View Profile
    • www.flipsidecomics.com
    • Email
« Reply #213 on: March 29, 2010, 01:03:23 pm »
I thought when I was drawing them that I was drawing May and Crest to be in kind of a "shocked" pose, but now that you mention it I guess they do look a bit stiff.  Oh well.

RoninAngel

• Eternal Lover
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #214 on: March 29, 2010, 01:45:32 pm »
I have been saying this for about 3 comics now, but, yes, everyone should jump Danzig all at once. And though the "flower" thing is obviously powerful, it souldn't stop everyone from acting without magic, right?
It shows that Moss's idea of being all hardcore and showing Danzig what's up is actually standing around and letting Bernadette do everything. Maytag is missing both an arm and her jester cap, and Crest is defending Maytag, so I don't expect either of them to do much this battle, but the other characters could be doing SOMETHING. >:(
I got 99 problems but a nymphomaniac jester girl ain't one.

akashayi

« Reply #215 on: March 29, 2010, 04:13:13 pm »
If there's a little mini army standing there, why is bern the only one fighting? o.O

./bothered

charles

• Harem Master
  • LAWNMOWER MASACRE
    • MSN Messenger - charles_wilkinson@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • google profile
    • Email
« Reply #216 on: March 29, 2010, 05:23:26 pm »
hmmm. Yeah, Crest could have looked a bit more like he was doing some protecting, and maybe Maytag shouting out "Bern!" or something to show her concern as well as surprise but even though the others look a bit stiff I'm not too surprised that they're not too concerned.

Bern is the one who started this attack when Danzig goaded her, so maybe Moss actually had a plan for dealing with him and Escher and is just waiting for Bern to get it out of her system.  It'd be just like Moss to let someone suffer a little before coming out with his trump to save them.

I'm not too worried about Bern's composure.  Certainly she was goaded by Danzig in the first round but I think it was justified considering how he touched on a good nerve (much like Bern touched on the "Monster" nerve of Bloody Mary).  The second round she has been kind of wise in trying to close the gap between them quickly and reduce his effectiveness with the long-ranged weapon, I don't think she underestimated Danzig's melee skills too badly but was caught by a less than normal use of a pole-arm weapon.  It's not difficult for me to believe that she expected to be capable of defending from him and closing the gap but now she knows he's highly skilled with the weapon she might finally use that anti-magick sword or possibly come up with another strategy (such as Crest using the anti-magick sword).

Actually, I'm not even sure Crest knows the significance of the sword.  We know it was explained to Bern and Maytag but all Crest might know is that he's along for the ride to Eschelon.  I guess Maytag could use her brains and grab it to either use or pass on to Bern or Crest.

The big concern is how badly wounded Bern is.  Do we presume she simply bit her lip as she was sent flying or that the last strike either broke a rib into her lungs or damaged her stomach lining?  Hell, I'm still betting that left arm is tender.
CLAN OF THE CATS IS MAKING A COMEBACK! JUNE 8th.  BE THERE!

Pozf

• Nymphomaniac!!
  • What is a man?
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: March 29, 2010, 06:24:19 pm »
Well as I see it Glyph is really the only other person than Bern in a position to do anything: (Excluding Fata and Moss but they don't really count yet, there isn't any kind of loyalty or anything here)
May is down an arm, and while she could probably do some damage still, she's not in costume therefore useless right now.
Crest, Meatshield... not much else to say, but if he moves and tries to fight, he'll it'll leave him Most likely in Bern's way and leaving Bern to worry about May, so he stays a meatshield.
Suspiria was not only leeched of presumably most or all of her essence, with little or no time to heal from it I would assume, during her confrontation with Danzig. Not to mention her little meeting with Melter ( http://www.flipsidecomics.com/comic.php?i=926 ) where who knows what happened, if anything. So it's fairly safe to say she's useless as well.
And that leaves Glyph, and while it's rather safe to assume that he's on their side, who knows what's going on his head. Maybe he's aware that using magic right now might get him drained, who knows. Maybe he's waiting for some kind of opportune time.

Or maybe everybody is jumping the gun and Brion is just building suspense and depth before having people do things, and so he doesn't have to cram an entire battle into 3 pages.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2010, 06:27:18 pm by Pozf »
'Science is on the march. Don't get in its way.'

charles

• Harem Master
  • LAWNMOWER MASACRE
    • View Profile
    • google profile
    • Email
« Reply #218 on: March 29, 2010, 07:59:19 pm »
I get the feeling that some time has passed since Suspira's essence was drained.  Even if only a few hours that should mean she has some juice else she wouldn't be awake, but yeah we also don't know what Melter's done to her.

I'm just sort of presuming that either Crest told Glyph what happened to him and Suspira (i.e. essence drain) or someone else has told him since freeing them.  The other option is that he and Suspira actually know what the "flower" does, which would explain why Danzig was standing in front of Escher to block her view of it when she first came up against him.

Thinking back on the stiff/stunned onlookers... I can actually understand it a bit more now that I think about it.  Seriously, knowing how good she is, why wouldn't Crest and Maytag be acting like "OMG Bern got her arse handed to her!"

Azure Priest

• Cage Dancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: March 30, 2010, 06:51:49 am »
1: Crest stands next to maytag, not even looking at that staff he attempts to protect her of. Great cover.
2: Maytag could probably, you know, move out of reach of that staff instead of apparently just standing there.
3: You nor anyone else has any idea how that "flower" actually works at all and glyph doesn't even know of it.
Also fata probably uses about as much " conventional magic" as bloody mary or clairen did. None at all.
4: Indeed.
5: So everyone instantly knows of this which in itself is a guess at best since it was at no point mentioned in the story at all?

Nope sir, this makes no sense, everyone just standing around casually. Except maybe moss and fata.

1.) Look at the positions more closely. Crest appears to have been standing IN FRONT of Maytag until he saw Bernadette sliding towards him and stepped back. He is still close enough that he can get between Danzing's "power pole" and Maytag should the need arise.

2.) Yes, perhaps she can jump, duck or slide out of the way, but we don't know how far her agility's fallen now that she's missing an arm. A great many acrobatic feats DO require landing on your hands (both of them) after a good jump or roll. She's also lost a great deal of her "confidence" since her jester outfit is missing. It's what she draws her bravado from. Remember how quickly she folded when Volger stripped her naked out of it?

3.) I was paying attention when it was used on Suspira, and based on what I've seen, it uses the offensive magic as a conduit to absorb ALL of the attacking mage's essence. This is why Suspira dropped like a rock. Unless the author did further retcons on that frame to alter what happened, (conflict with other story explanations etc.) it's a sound theory. As for the "conventional magic," that's why I stipulated that it's not triggered by residual or "background" magic. There's also been quite a bit of travel and talking off screen unless you expect us to believe that Moss teleported instantaneously an ever growing number of people cell by cell until the whole party was assembled. If they traveled by normal means, it would be rather silly of Crest to NOT mention some warning about how Danzig bested Suspira. Moss certainly knew about it as he demanded that Danzig "put the flower away." Glyph may be a pervert, but he's not an idiot. As pissed off as he is, I doubt he's going to do anything until he knows what the flower "does," if he hasn't been informed already.

4.) I'm glad we agree on something.

5.) If I was in the carriage with someone who threatened to gauge some eyes out and rather vehemently slapped someone else (with good reason I admit), I'd be prone to believe she'd be insulted if I tried to intrude on her fight without permission. I'd also be quite scared of incurring her wrath.

Kanazaka

• Hot Streaker
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: March 30, 2010, 06:46:18 pm »

Seriously though...grab the guy's rod and have a tug of war.

I don't know if Bern would be willing to do that -- she's into girls after all  ::).

But Bern's probably right.  Danzig probably is very good at swinging his "thing" around  :P.

Just couldn't resist.

charles

• Harem Master
  • LAWNMOWER MASACRE
    • View Profile
    • google profile
    • Email
« Reply #221 on: March 31, 2010, 12:43:33 am »
Danzig certainly seems confident with that magick weapon of his.  Makes me worry that he has more than that "stick" to back up his claim.  But if it's just the stick then all they need is that damned magick sword of Bern's and he's screwed... Brion will probably have them draw it in the last page of the chapter for dramatic affect *lol* (Then again, maybe Bern is still a little aprehensive about using magick).

Alright, so they can't cast any spells, but looks like "cursed" abilities such as Moss's sight of weakness and Fata Morgana's illusions can still be used.  I guess Moss was just hoping that Bern was good enough to get them through, remembering how good she was agaisnt Clairen.

P.S. I wonder why Glyph was shown contemplating Danzig's words.

Jeyl

« Reply #222 on: March 31, 2010, 02:25:36 am »
Danzig: "there's simply reason for it."

Was that intentional? He seems to speak in properly formed sentences all throughout the comic so far. This one just throws me off.

Yeti

• Tender Young Virgin
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: March 31, 2010, 03:42:24 am »
Moss said he's already told them not to use spells with the 'flower' in the area, but when did he say this?

Kiran

• Cage Dancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: March 31, 2010, 03:47:56 am »
Moss must've told them when they're were going along the road off-screen.

But I can't shake the feeling that Danzig planned all this beforehand...
Also Moss should know already his uncle weakness, I would be surprised if he didn't check him before.

The most logical move would be if Bern would give her swords to Crest and Glyph(even if she doesn't like him, he still can be some kind of support, I think that Glyph knows a little of meele fighting), and she would use that magic sword of her father.
Moss could tell them Danzig's weakness,Fata's could cast some illusions revolving around it then Crest and Glyph would attack taking Danzig attention while Bern would use her magick sword to destroy that flower artifact, since it seems to be magical tool.

And they would win easily then.

But the coolest kind of ending for this chapter would be if suddenly bloody hand emerged from the rose and that slavie body with much blood gushing and we would see Bloody Mary smiling face slowly emerging :D
« Last Edit: March 31, 2010, 04:04:12 am by Kiran »

9_6

« Reply #225 on: March 31, 2010, 05:51:03 am »
Ah, an explanation.
Good.

I bet glyph will whip out some magic BFG or something, melee being worthless and such.
We still don't know what he can actually do anyway. Those x-ray glasses suggest he uses tools rather than actual magic.

Azure Priest

• Cage Dancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: March 31, 2010, 06:13:54 am »
As was pointed out to me earlier, Glyph uses both. He DID use some kind of levitation spell to "carry" Suspira when they left the carriage since she had used all her essence on Maytag and Bern with that "truth" spell.

Something occurs to me. Since that flower grows when essence is absorbed, is there an upper limit? Can it be overloaded? And if so, what happens?
« Last Edit: March 31, 2010, 06:22:44 am by Azure Priest »

RoninAngel

• Eternal Lover
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #227 on: March 31, 2010, 06:29:12 am »
Facepalm. What a "duh" moment.
Wow! Crest. Once again the smartest motherfucker in the room!  :-\
And Moss, this isn't particularly flattering for you buddy. Your one track mind is showing. Think outside the box. Seriously.
I got 99 problems but a nymphomaniac jester girl ain't one.

Brion Foulke

• Administrator
  • Experimental
    • AOL Instant Messenger - flipsider99
    • View Profile
    • www.flipsidecomics.com
    • Email
« Reply #228 on: March 31, 2010, 10:34:02 am »
Danzig: "there's simply reason for it."

Was that intentional? He seems to speak in properly formed sentences all throughout the comic so far. This one just throws me off.

Oops.  Another small dialogue glitch.  Fixed now.

CrystalDragonSpaceMarine

• Eternal Lover
  • Show me your enemies.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #229 on: March 31, 2010, 11:43:34 am »
Throw your sword, Bern! That always works!

Oddball

• Nymphomaniac!!
  • Me the 13th Duke of Wymbourne are they quite mad!
    • MSN Messenger - oddballsco@hotmail.co.uk
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - oddball24sco
    • View Profile
    • Myspace Profile
    • Email
« Reply #230 on: March 31, 2010, 01:16:50 pm »
Or give in and stab him with a hidden blade?
What good is dreaming it if you don't actually do it?.

charles

• Harem Master
  • LAWNMOWER MASACRE
    • View Profile
    • google profile
    • Email
« Reply #231 on: March 31, 2010, 02:54:56 pm »
Also Moss should know already his uncle weakness, I would be surprised if he didn't check him before.

I didn't even think about that but yeah, I wonder if Moss knows some mental weakness about either Danzig or Escher which they could exploit somehow.

while Bern would use her magick sword to destroy that flower artifact, since it seems to be magical tool.

I get the impression that Escher's "flower power" is a curse like Moss's eyes.  Moss just called it an "ability".  But I do like the idea that they might be able to "overload" it if all four of the magick users cast a spell at once. It certainly seems that not all of Suspira's essence has drained away from the flower and with essence being equal it won't matter what level they are.

But the coolest kind of ending for this chapter would be if suddenly bloody hand emerged from the rose and that slavie body with much blood gushing and we would see Bloody Mary smiling face slowly emerging :D

HELL YEAH! Unfortunately she can't get in unless invited  :(.  But Maybe Maxmillion could still save the day *lol*

Foof

« Reply #232 on: March 31, 2010, 05:13:24 pm »
I think they're all just unsure what to do.  They know they can't use magic on him, so Suspi and Moss are useless.  And Fata probably isn't entertained much with the idea of fighting, she could probably care less.  They just need to take out Flower Power and blast Meteor on his ass.

charles

• Harem Master
  • LAWNMOWER MASACRE
    • View Profile
    • google profile
    • Email
« Reply #233 on: March 31, 2010, 07:54:31 pm »
Someone should just go upstairs and ring the bell to call Escher, then they can demolish Danzig as Escher walks out of the room to answer it *lol*

charles

• Harem Master
  • LAWNMOWER MASACRE
    • View Profile
    • google profile
    • Email
« Reply #234 on: March 31, 2010, 10:01:26 pm »
*CRY*

NO APRIL FOOLS  :(

charles

• Harem Master
  • LAWNMOWER MASACRE
    • View Profile
    • google profile
    • Email
« Reply #235 on: April 01, 2010, 12:54:37 am »
GAH!  Didn't even see the new page 28 posted there.

So Glyph really is more than just a sorcerer.  He is a member of the Phalanx so you'd think he's well versed in dealing with rogues like danzig and tough situations.

Not sure what he's doing heading back up the stairs that lead to the prison cells.  I almost thought he was heading up towards the rooms and bath but thats the door on the left.  maybe he'll bring back a blanket, pillor or entire mattress to use in some clever way.  Certainly seems to leave little doubt as to his loyalties.

still... WILL SOMEONE REMEMBER THE DAMNED MAGICK SWORD!  it should be right on the floor behind them where Bern dropped her bag before the fight.  *sigh* I'm guessing the Moss was mainly hoping for Maytag to have her projectiles.

also... I wonder what else Suspira has in her own D-Bag, or if Glyph has one.

Oddball

• Nymphomaniac!!
  • Me the 13th Duke of Wymbourne are they quite mad!
    • MSN Messenger - oddballsco@hotmail.co.uk
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - oddball24sco
    • View Profile
    • Myspace Profile
    • Email
« Reply #236 on: April 01, 2010, 02:00:58 am »
Ah I see Glyph is using the "Monty Python" strategy "Run away!, Run away!"  ;D
What good is dreaming it if you don't actually do it?.

9_6

« Reply #237 on: April 01, 2010, 04:34:48 am »
"If you can do something, do it" Hahahaha.
Well yeah, he basically reduced himself to a meat shield. Of questionable durability.

I guess glyph just runs out of range of that flower to... prepare, right? Right?
« Last Edit: April 01, 2010, 04:42:17 am by 9_6 »

Kiran

• Cage Dancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: April 01, 2010, 06:20:32 am »
Is this new page serious?
Or it's a joke?
HAH!

Well everyone fights like they can, but since Moss mentioned magic weapons to work, please Bern use your own pretty head :P

Glyph can't be running away, not after Danzig used his body like that, either he gone for some weapon or indeed he will try to cast a spell from some distance...

I doubt any of them have their d-bags anymore, but maybe Glyph hide his somewhere before he gone for sandwiches.

charles

• Harem Master
  • LAWNMOWER MASACRE
    • View Profile
    • google profile
    • Email
« Reply #239 on: April 01, 2010, 07:06:51 pm »
"If you can do something, do it" Hahahaha.
Well yeah, he basically reduced himself to a meat shield. Of questionable durability.

I guess glyph just runs out of range of that flower to... prepare, right? Right?

BWAAHAHAHAHA!

Yeah I'm betting Glyph is going into the room, closing the doors and casting some kind of enhancements on himself.  Maybe thats whats special about him, he's no so much a full caster as some sort of caster who enhances himself before battle

wait... that seem familiar... could Brion be...

OMFG!