Author Topic: Chapter 24: Discussion  (Read 55970 times)

Foof

Re: Chapter 24: Discussion
« Reply #180 on: March 22, 2010, 08:07:53 pm »
Uh oh...I just realized, Moss had probably told his uncle earlier about Bern's weaknesses.  At least she was able to block it, sort of.

RoninAngel

• Eternal Lover
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #181 on: March 22, 2010, 08:24:39 pm »
So the battle begins in earnest.

I know its against the rule of drama, but I say everyone jumps him at the same time.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2010, 01:26:25 am by RoninAngel »
I got 99 problems but a nymphomaniac jester girl ain't one.

Kiran

• Cage Dancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: March 23, 2010, 12:29:38 am »
Well maybe the best way would be all of them to attack at the same time, but we can assume that Danzig knows due to Moss all our group weakness beside Moss's and maybe Fata's.

So I think this will be either Moss fight or Bern will change her style to something new...

Next scene Bern takes that magic sword and kicks ass :D

Or not.

Damn I missed fighting scenes, last one was Bern fight with Mary (I won't consider Mary killing bandits a fighting scene :P) and that was long time ago.

Azure Priest

• Cage Dancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: March 23, 2010, 05:14:18 am »
Actually, I think, from her look, Bern took the blow rather than let Maytag get hit.

Oddball

• Nymphomaniac!!
  • Me the 13th Duke of Wymbourne are they quite mad!
    • MSN Messenger - oddballsco@hotmail.co.uk
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - oddball24sco
    • View Profile
    • Myspace Profile
    • Email
« Reply #184 on: March 23, 2010, 05:30:13 am »
Is this where we see Bern forget about defence tactics and just go on the offensive.
What good is dreaming it if you don't actually do it?.

alia

« Reply #185 on: March 23, 2010, 07:36:35 am »
Is it just me, or does Maytag's arm look normal (not injured/missing) on the 5th panel of page 23, chap. 24?  It looks almost like the wrong arm is injured, or else not injured at all.

And yes, I think Bern was shielding Maytag from the hit, hence the comment about position.  It's been a long time since the last fight with Bern, so I'm looking forward to it. I would love to see more of crest.  He's such a static character lately. Not much change.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2010, 07:43:13 am by alia »

JewelOfSong

« Reply #186 on: March 23, 2010, 09:34:11 am »
I wasn't quite sure where Bern was looking in the second panel? Over at Maytag? Danzig's comment about positioning make me think she shielded May from the attack, but I'm not completely sure.

vintage

• Collared Pet
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: March 23, 2010, 10:16:29 am »
Yes it looks like more phantom arm appearances, you also see Maytag's arm and hand in the 4th panel too. She really needs to get that arm regrown so we can stop looking for mistakes XD

It's possible Bernadette's weakness isn't the fact she doesn't have offensive attacks; she's gotten around that before in battles. It looks more like Bernadette's main weak point is Maytag.

Brion Foulke

• Administrator
  • Experimental
    • AOL Instant Messenger - flipsider99
    • View Profile
    • www.flipsidecomics.com
    • Email
« Reply #188 on: March 23, 2010, 01:17:01 pm »
Mistakes on latest page have been fixed now.

charles

• Harem Master
  • LAWNMOWER MASACRE
    • MSN Messenger - charles_wilkinson@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • google profile
    • Email
« Reply #189 on: March 23, 2010, 04:29:37 pm »
That "equal amount" of essence thing was MAYTAG's understanding, not the author's.

Brion made originally had Danzig noting how impressed he was by the ammount of essence Suspira had, but when it was noted that this conflicted with Maytag's intermission lesson that everyone has the same amount of essence, he changed the page and simply had Danzig note that her essence had a lovely quality.

Yeah, Bern was almost certainly blocking it from hitting Maytag, which could have been Danzig's plan since he'd know about their relationship from posessing Glyph in the bath.  The other worry is that if Danzig is capable of noting that Bern could have dodged his blow then this might indicate he has more skill in melee than we might think (not to mention that he goaded Bern into attacking much like Bern goaded Bloody Mary).  I'm also worried that the blow might have injured Bern's left arm but if she can only fight with one arm then she might resort to the anti-magick sword.  Considering they can attack her from a distance, she'll have to abandon her split-rose style anyway and adopt an attack. Besides we've seen her use a single sword against the Maw so she's not completely inept.

Hmmm, The only knowledge we have about the sword is that it's extra light and is apparently designed to destroy magick weapons... and if Danzig's "stick" isn't a magick weapon, I'm a monkey's biach.

http://www.flipsidecomics.com/comic.php?i=395
CLAN OF THE CATS IS MAKING A COMEBACK! JUNE 8th.  BE THERE!

9_6

« Reply #190 on: March 24, 2010, 06:14:29 pm »
So...
why is there a 1 on 1 fight between a sorcerer of unknown strength and bern who can clearly do nothing at all to defend herself against sorcery now while 2 sorcerers, 1 of which supposedly has mary sue-ish power just stand back and watch?

Azure Priest

• Cage Dancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: March 24, 2010, 06:52:20 pm »
So...
why is there a 1 on 1 fight between a sorcerer of unknown strength and bern who can clearly do nothing at all to defend herself against sorcery now while 2 sorcerers, 1 of which supposedly has mary sue-ish power just stand back and watch?

Because the "flower" will drain all the essence of any sorcerer who uses offensive sorcery against Danzig or the wielder.

Foof

« Reply #192 on: March 24, 2010, 07:06:26 pm »
Hell yes, Crest!  Show us those balls!

Not...literally, just....through your actions!  Yes!

Shay

• Collared Pet
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: March 24, 2010, 07:16:25 pm »
Wow. Something about Bernadette's pose in the second to last panel really strikes me as very... elegant and pretty somehow.

Oh, and, way to go Crest. He's just getting more and more heroic, huh?

RoninAngel

• Eternal Lover
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #194 on: March 24, 2010, 07:58:28 pm »
Hell yes, Crest!  Show us those balls!

Not...literally, just....through your actions!  Yes!

I agree! A great moment for Crest!  :D

charles

• Harem Master
  • LAWNMOWER MASACRE
    • View Profile
    • google profile
    • Email
« Reply #195 on: March 25, 2010, 12:28:24 am »
...I'm not sure what to think.  In one sense, he's showing a lot of balls, but we've often seen crest do his bravado thing only to have people roll their eyes at him or ignore his suggestion and carry on them selves.  The most useful I recall him being is when he had Vajra put a shield over Bloody Mary's fear demon and when he figured out the never-ending stairs.

http://www.flipsidecomics.com/comic.php?i=85
http://www.flipsidecomics.com/comic.php?i=105
http://www.flipsidecomics.com/comic.php?i=267
http://www.flipsidecomics.com/comic.php?i=445
http://www.flipsidecomics.com/comic.php?i=807
http://www.flipsidecomics.com/comic.php?i=888

Personally I think this is going to be another one of those moments when we're all impressed by his bravado and intentions but not by his thinking.  Bern will probably point out that she's about as willing to let Crest take the hit as she is to let Maytag take it, or Maytag will simply point out that she can dodge quite well on her own as long as Bern doesn't block her view of Danzig.  Heck the other option is for Fata Morgana to simply create an illusion to block Danzig's view of them all (although he might be able to see through it).  Other than that, Danzig is clearly using a magick weapon and if that blasted magick sword of Bern's was ever going to come in handy, now's the time. She simply dodges the strike and hits the weapon as it passes her, the same way she did with Bloody Mary's fingers whenever she lunged at Bern.

Kiran

• Cage Dancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: March 25, 2010, 01:26:11 am »
Oh god, Crest showing off which always ends badly for him :P

So now we can guess that Danzig will use Crest weakness to get rid of him, maybe he will aim for Suspiria, ah that would tell us what Crest really feels about her...

I would not be surprised if next pages would be just for us to see in turns each character weakness.
Maybe this too is a test :P

And I doubt Bern would let Crest protect May for her or that May would want to be protected like that like she was someone useless in the fight.
I can see her telling she still have two legs to dodge with a smirk :D
But since Crest is Bern's student and also a friend to both of them it's acceptable.

As for Bern pose in second to last panel I can't really find the words but she's so sexy in such refined way, slim figure clothed in black with that scarf and the cape, just eyecandy, even nude May can't compare, her character design is just the best.

ludo

« Reply #197 on: March 25, 2010, 09:08:54 am »
I think Crest is just "keeping a eye" maytag. Remember : http://www.flipsidecomics.com/comic.php?i=404

Until now, Maytag was over-injured keeping the group "safe". He is doing the only thing to do : prevent maytag to hurt herself and let Bert focus on the battle. In its place, I  shall not put my life in the hands of old enemies. (Or recent friends, whatever.)
And remember, Bert don't trust magic. She won't allow any sorcerer to protect her beloved, she probably won't trust them and keep worrying about maytag.

If Crest fails again, this'll be simply despairing.

Xshu

« Reply #198 on: March 26, 2010, 03:46:50 am »
Aww yeah. This is Crest's Crowning Moment Of Awesome.

Azure Priest

• Cage Dancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: March 26, 2010, 05:49:46 am »
No matter the outcome, Crest's stock just went up.

Kiran

• Cage Dancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: March 26, 2010, 02:02:22 pm »
And Bern trusted Crest's defense, lol :o

Go Bern, win this stick war!

I get a bad feeling that Danzig or his sidekick will use some magic to knock Bern out of the fight soon not being able to keep up with her.

RoninAngel

• Eternal Lover
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #201 on: March 26, 2010, 02:52:23 pm »
Kick his ass Bernadette!
 >:(

charles

• Harem Master
  • LAWNMOWER MASACRE
    • View Profile
    • google profile
    • Email
« Reply #202 on: March 26, 2010, 05:41:37 pm »
OMGWTFBBQ!

Crest is useful!
...unless that dodged blow from Danzig is protruding from his chest right this moment... I can almost imagine Danzig retracting it, with Crest's corpse hitting Bern as it flies past.  *meh* I think Crest is wearing some light armor as well, so he's probably covered which is why Bern was fine to leave him take any hits.

Not that I think Bern will have any issues dispatching Danzig, but I still wish we were seeing the Magick sword in action for once :(

...Then again, I think I saw a second button on that stick of his.

9_6

« Reply #203 on: March 28, 2010, 01:09:55 am »
Does that mean he'll be dead soon?

tbeean

• Red Light Worker
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
    • Email
« Reply #204 on: March 28, 2010, 03:48:58 pm »
i miss bloody mary. hope shes back soon  :P

charles

• Harem Master
  • LAWNMOWER MASACRE
    • View Profile
    • google profile
    • Email
« Reply #205 on: March 28, 2010, 05:30:41 pm »
Does that mean he'll be dead soon?
Depends if he got lucky with Suspira.  If not, I'd say he's safe (can't let him die a virgin after all ::)).

Oddball

• Nymphomaniac!!
  • Me the 13th Duke of Wymbourne are they quite mad!
    • MSN Messenger - oddballsco@hotmail.co.uk
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - oddball24sco
    • View Profile
    • Myspace Profile
    • Email
« Reply #206 on: March 29, 2010, 02:53:07 am »
well it would be ironic Crest dieing while still a virgin, he's about to get his leg over at last..............and then he is killed by a Nerf ball gun.
What good is dreaming it if you don't actually do it?.

9_6

« Reply #207 on: March 29, 2010, 03:51:07 am »
Bottom left panel sums it all up.
Bern getting beaten the crap out of while everyone else just stands around like statues.
They even look kinda bored.
DO SOMETHING!

I know, maybe moss has some super special awesome plan and does indeed not give a fuck. That would be in character.
Everyone else should at least, you know, look a bit concerned and not be all like "Oh no, don't die etc.".

It's their stiffness.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2010, 04:03:55 am by 9_6 »

Azure Priest

• Cage Dancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: March 29, 2010, 06:26:06 am »
Bottom left panel sums it all up.
Bern getting beaten the crap out of while everyone else just stands around like statues.
They even look kinda bored.
DO SOMETHING!

I know, maybe moss has some super special awesome plan and does indeed not give a fuck. That would be in character.
Everyone else should at least, you know, look a bit concerned and not be all like "Oh no, don't die etc.".

It's their stiffness.

Lesseee...

1.) Crest is busy covering Maytag.

2.) Maytag can't DO anything since her Jester outfit, purse/D-bag, and all her wonderful "toys" are missing. Not to mention that she only has one arm now, and even with BOTH arms and legs, totally SUCKS at melee. (By her own admission.)

3.) Fata is an illusion mage and while background or already active spells don't seem to trigger the "flower," any NEW magic (specifically offensive magic) will trigger the flower and cause it to absorb all the caster's essence rendering him or her unconscious. That rules out glyph too, unless he's a total kick ass wrestler, but we've seen no evidence of his martial skills in any sense.

4.) As already stated, Moss doesn't "fucking care."

5.) Bern would probably take it as an insult if someone came to her aid without her asking for it. Not only is it part of her personality/ charm, but it's also the "Knight's code" that she was trained under. At least that's my impression.

9_6

« Reply #209 on: March 29, 2010, 09:28:44 am »
1: Crest stands next to maytag, not even looking at that staff he attempts to protect her of. Great cover.
2: Maytag could probably, you know, move out of reach of that staff instead of apparently just standing there.
3: You nor anyone else has any idea how that "flower" actually works at all and glyph doesn't even know of it.
Also fata probably uses about as much " conventional magic" as bloody mary or clairen did. None at all.
4: Indeed.
5: So everyone instantly knows of this which in itself is a guess at best since it was at no point mentioned in the story at all?

Nope sir, this makes no sense, everyone just standing around casually. Except maybe moss and fata.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2010, 09:30:49 am by 9_6 »