Author Topic: Things I Don't Understand About Life And Death  (Read 5923 times)

CrystalDragonSpaceMarine

• Eternal Lover
  • Show me your enemies.
    • View Profile
    • Email
Things I Don't Understand About Life And Death
« on: January 18, 2010, 05:58:13 pm »
So I've been thinking.

And I think maybe some of you can enlighten me, as I suspect you all have similar philosophies.

How do people find satisfaction with the whole "living for today" and "making the most of our short stay" type of belief?

I just don't get it.

I always plan for tomorrow, and hope that what is here now can be built upon. It is for this reason, I cling to the idea of an existence after-death, despite not having a religion.

I guess, it's just not good enough to me. I don't see the point in believing my life could end at any minute, so I should "make the most of it", because if I *do* die, then I'm dead. It won't matter, to use a common example, if I die a virgin, because I'll be dead. So why should I be motivated to pursue that, if my consciousness is destroyed? But if all virgins went to hell, or something, then that would motivate me, because it would give me tangible long-term results.

So that's why I'm motivated in life, because I plan on living forever.

What do you guys think?

akashayi

Re: Things I Don't Understand About Life And Death
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2010, 07:23:11 pm »
Hah. I enjoy living in the moment but fuck, I'm an immortalist. The future is too awesome for me not to be there.

(that and I don't believe in heaven or hell or any religious nonsense.)

charles

• Harem Master
  • LAWNMOWER MASACRE
    • MSN Messenger - charles_wilkinson@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • google profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2010, 07:23:51 pm »
Well, I wouldn't say the whole "living for today" thing is focused around the idea that you could die at any moment, unfulfilled.  It's more about not letting life pass you by and not procrastinating or putting off the things you want to do in life.

For instance, you want to either be a writer or write a book.  Now maybe you might keep putting it off 'cos you don't think you have the time or you don't think your skilled enough to do a good enough job of it yet.  Possibly you might just write it off completely as some fancy dream that you'll never actually pull off.

The live for today (for me at least) is more a message that "what can be put off 'till tomorrow can be done today"

The end result is not so much to experience all these thing in life that people say you shouldn't miss such as sex, sky diving, back packing, studying, financial success or such, but rather to make sure you start working towards the things YOU want to experience today.  That starts with working out what you want out of life or where you want to take your life and then waking up each day and working out what you need to do today to achieve it.
CLAN OF THE CATS IS MAKING A COMEBACK! JUNE 8th.  BE THERE!

CrystalDragonSpaceMarine

• Eternal Lover
  • Show me your enemies.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2010, 07:28:47 pm »
Maybe.

I mean, but I *do* them because I plan on building up from there.

It's all a long-term game for me. i.e. sometimes I don't do things out of a calculated gambit that a little patience will pay off in the long run (and often has).

charles

• Harem Master
  • LAWNMOWER MASACRE
    • View Profile
    • google profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2010, 07:42:45 pm »
*nods* Granted there are things you truly can't necessarily do right this minute for various reasons, but you skip that and go on the the next thing that you CAN do today.  Or you work out what you need to do so you CAN do the thing/s you can't to today.

And yeah, if you're talking about the books then thats a good way of doing it as far as I know.  Rather than holding out until you can write your dream novel the perfect way you write it now and then the next one and so on.  Maybe you revisit the original dream book one day but practice makes perfect and you do what you can today.  Sort of like exercise. Sure you won't be able to run a marathon right away, but you start out with what you can do and by keeping at it you become better until a marathon is a walk in the park, or in your instance, writing a novel is like writing a 1000 word essay.

CrystalDragonSpaceMarine

• Eternal Lover
  • Show me your enemies.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2010, 07:47:19 pm »
And yeah, if you're talking about the books then thats a good way of doing it as far as I know.  Rather than holding out until you can write your dream novel the perfect way you write it now and then the next one and so on.  Maybe you revisit the original dream book one day but practice makes perfect and you do what you can today.  Sort of like exercise. Sure you won't be able to run a marathon right away, but you start out with what you can do and by keeping at it you become better until a marathon is a walk in the park, or in your instance, writing a novel is like writing a 1000 word essay.

Well, I'm all right on my plan to write a novel in 40 days, starting on Wednesday at 6 a.m.

charles

• Harem Master
  • LAWNMOWER MASACRE
    • View Profile
    • google profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2010, 07:57:54 pm »
Good stuff.  Write, write and write.

Heck, you should give yourself a 2 month turn around.  40 days to write a novel, 10 days to refine it then 10 days to plan the next one and you're off on a 40 day writing spree again.

I think the masters usually take around 6 months to write some of the larger sci-fi novels (500+ pages).  I heard something once about pacing 500-1000 words a day *shrug*

And good luck on that again, by-the-way.  I'm sure we'll see far less of you around here while you focus on that but we all expect a preview of the masterpiece when you're done.  Cheers mate.

CrystalDragonSpaceMarine

• Eternal Lover
  • Show me your enemies.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2010, 07:59:59 pm »
Good stuff.  Write, write and write.

Heck, you should give yourself a 2 month turn around.  40 days to write a novel, 10 days to refine it then 10 days to plan the next one and you're off on a 40 day writing spree again.

I think the masters usually take around 6 months to write some of the larger sci-fi novels (500+ pages).  I heard something once about pacing 500-1000 words a day *shrug*

And good luck on that again, by-the-way.  I'm sure we'll see far less of you around here while you focus on that but we all expect a preview of the masterpiece when you're done.  Cheers mate.

Well, this is just a rough draft anyway. The point is to write it then revise it, instead of revising as you go.

Oh, and nice try charles, but you're gonna have to buy a copy when it gets published.  ;)

charles

• Harem Master
  • LAWNMOWER MASACRE
    • View Profile
    • google profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2010, 08:02:14 pm »
*lol* I did say preview (i.e. first 3-5 chapters or something)

Heck that'd just be enough to leave us screaming for the published version... or the torrent  :o :P

RoninAngel

• Eternal Lover
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2010, 05:20:46 pm »
Fuck. I've got nothing for ya. The idea of nonexistence scares the shit out of me.

Well not exactly. I have been in surgery before and the drugs they give you are probably the nearest thing to nonexistence I could imagine. Basically, one minute I fell asleep, the next minute I woke up. But hours had passed. I had no concept of the passage of time or sense of self or anything, and many hours had passed. Much differant from being asleep, where no matter how out of it I am, I know that "I" am still there. I usually know that I am dreaming too. For however long I was out during that surgery, "I" simply did not exist. That would not be so bad. There would be no "you" to have an opinion about it.

However something that does scare me is the idea that the afterlife does exist after a fashion, because the consciousness that is "you" lives on somehow. But there is nothing to observe or interact with any way. All you can do is stay perfectly still and slowly go mad. This is what I believe might happen to those people who don't believe in any deity or afterlife.

Check this out.
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TheNothingAfterDeath

I got 99 problems but a nymphomaniac jester girl ain't one.

charles

• Harem Master
  • LAWNMOWER MASACRE
    • View Profile
    • google profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2010, 01:16:52 am »
I've had that with my own operation.  Really strange 'cos you'd just expect it to be like sleeping but yeah, it feels like you simply didn't exist in the world for the hours you were under the anesthetist's coma.  I wonder if it's the same for people in a real coma (i.e. you wake up like you went to sleep a moment ago) or if it does feel like some degree of time has passed.

Actually going to a nothingness like the trope suggests certainly seems like a scary, eternal, existence (actually I think it's the real hell, i.e. Limbo).

I guess if our existence simply ceases then thats it and we won't exactly care.  It means there's no such thing as an immortal existence and we'll have to rely on genetics and our legacy for immortality.

CrystalDragonSpaceMarine

• Eternal Lover
  • Show me your enemies.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2010, 04:06:48 am »
lol, genetics.

Silly way to achieve "immortality".

RoninAngel

• Eternal Lover
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2010, 07:12:43 am »
I agree.

CrystalDragonSpaceMarine

• Eternal Lover
  • Show me your enemies.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2010, 09:59:04 am »
I agree.

Unless you plan to transfer your consciousness to your children's bodies or something.

But that's kinda showy and unwieldy. It's better to just play chess with Death.

He forgets how the little horsie piece moves. Remember that.

RoninAngel

• Eternal Lover
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2010, 11:06:38 am »
That's a pretty big flaw. Indian Opening it is.

charles

• Harem Master
  • LAWNMOWER MASACRE
    • View Profile
    • google profile
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2010, 01:34:26 pm »
Well, the three main types of immortality are considered to be.

1. true immortality (i.e. live forever in some way)
2. genetic immortality (i.e. having children and contributing to the gene-pool)
3. legacy immortality (i.e. something you do which is remembered for all time, become a king or president).

You should all know this though.  It's 101 stuff for anyone who's played Metal Gear Solid *lol*

CrystalDragonSpaceMarine

• Eternal Lover
  • Show me your enemies.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2010, 02:17:50 pm »
Well, the three main types of immortality are considered to be.

1. true immortality (i.e. live forever in some way)
2. genetic immortality (i.e. having children and contributing to the gene-pool)
3. legacy immortality (i.e. something you do which is remembered for all time, become a king or president).

You should all know this though.  It's 101 stuff for anyone who's played Metal Gear Solid *lol*

Of course, if humanity dies off or whatever, people will forget.

That's why I'm banking on death just being a change of scenery.

Actually, here's a weird thought. Some people claim to have been, i dunno, Cleopatra in a past life. Obviously they all couldn't have been her...or could they? What if there is a finite amount of lifetimes in existence, and people are reincarnated through time? Eventually you will live the life of every person who has ever lived, and when that is done, you will have perfect knowledge of the universe!

Also, another thing of interest: immortal jellyfish": http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turritopsis_nutricula

RoninAngel

• Eternal Lover
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2010, 03:04:00 pm »
Or perhaps everyone gets to be Cleopatra once. There's no reason that time is always forward moving. Or that souls are always reincarnated into the future. Their might be lessons that can only be learned in a specific time period. After all, some things might stay the same in the human experience, but some lessons might be things that are unique to a specific time period.   

charles

• Harem Master
  • LAWNMOWER MASACRE
    • View Profile
    • google profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2010, 03:13:31 pm »
Yeah, the reincarnation one is pretty much part of the True Immortality side of things.  i.e. the idea of an immortal soul.

Not sure about those bods who think we're all small portions of a single mega spirit (Gaia or something) which return to the host after death adding to the mega spirit's knowledge and experience... sort of like a report job sent out to an app server and then returned to the mainframe server, with it's results, after completion *lol*

CrystalDragonSpaceMarine

• Eternal Lover
  • Show me your enemies.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2010, 03:21:23 pm »
Yeah, the reincarnation one is pretty much part of the True Immortality side of things.  i.e. the idea of an immortal soul.

Not sure about those bods who think we're all small portions of a single mega spirit (Gaia or something) which return to the host after death adding to the mega spirit's knowledge and experience... sort of like a report job sent out to an app server and then returned to the mainframe server, with it's results, after completion *lol*

If that's true I'm going to be the maverick! I am an individual!

D Archangel

« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2010, 01:36:16 pm »
You know, true immortality isn't far off. The science is there, all we really need is a cure for cancer to eliminate the side effects and we could see healthy human beings millions of years from now.

charles

• Harem Master
  • LAWNMOWER MASACRE
    • View Profile
    • google profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2010, 04:15:59 am »
You've got to stop cell degeneration as well.  Human cells appear to be only capable of splitting to form new cells a limited number of times before they're gone.  After that it becomes more difficult for your cells to split and form new ones, so as your cells naturally die, they're replaced less and less.

But I do believe they're even making breakthroughs on that too.

Stormin

• Red Light Worker
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2010, 12:59:34 am »
http://www.ctv.ca/CTVNews/Health/20101129/reversing-aging-mice-101129/

An interesting article on some recent work into the issue of aging. Mice treated to lack a certain part of their genetic structure would age much faster than normal but when it was reintroduced the age would reverse.

This is just one of many current research projects into extending lifespans. Immortality is impossible but finding out the theoretical maximum lifespan would be very interesting.
R.E.C.R.: There is no way you can defeat the superior power of my massive 56 kilobyte processor!

bulmabriefs144

• Cage Dancer
  • Wielder of the Sword of Sorrow
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2015, 10:44:32 am »
So I've been thinking.

And I think maybe some of you can enlighten me, as I suspect you all have similar philosophies.

How do people find satisfaction with the whole "living for today" and "making the most of our short stay" type of belief?

I just don't get it.

I always plan for tomorrow, and hope that what is here now can be built upon. It is for this reason, I cling to the idea of an existence after-death, despite not having a religion.

I guess, it's just not good enough to me. I don't see the point in believing my life could end at any minute, so I should "make the most of it", because if I *do* die, then I'm dead. It won't matter, to use a common example, if I die a virgin, because I'll be dead. So why should I be motivated to pursue that, if my consciousness is destroyed? But if all virgins went to hell, or something, then that would motivate me, because it would give me tangible long-term results.

So that's why I'm motivated in life, because I plan on living forever.

What do you guys think?

Okay, here's my take on this, and you may not agree.

Yes, it would be good to plan for eternity. But not to waste one's life doing so. As in, you should also live for the moment. If there is no afterlife, you get a nice full life. If there is an afterlife, you have a full life, and an afterlife. It's like Pascal's wager, only in terms of living one's life. Another thing, think of afterlife as a reflection of your life now. If you're miserable here and want to go, how is eternity gonna treat you any better? You haven't learned to enjoy this life.
"この世界の悪があれば本当に、それは人類の心の内にあります."
(Truly, if there is evil in this world, it lies within the heart of mankind)
—Edward D. Morrison