Author Topic: Exercise, Sports and Martial Arts  (Read 11175 times)

charles

• Harem Master
  • LAWNMOWER MASACRE
    • MSN Messenger - charles_wilkinson@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • google profile
    • Email
Exercise, Sports and Martial Arts
« on: January 07, 2010, 06:30:46 pm »
Use this thread to discuss the various physical activities available out there for being fit and in shape or just plane awesome.

This started when I mentioned that I was thinking of getting back into martial arts after being out of it for so long.  I asked for people's opinions so lets start with that but feel free to fill this thread with your own experiences with other physical activities such as sport and basic exercise.

...Yes Sex is obviously the best exercise out there... provided it goes more than two minutes  :P
CLAN OF THE CATS IS MAKING A COMEBACK! JUNE 8th.  BE THERE!

Churba

• Passion Player
  • The Fresh Prince of Leeds.
    • View Profile
Re: Exercise, Sports and Martial Arts
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2010, 06:33:47 pm »
...Yes Sex is obviously the best exercise out there... provided it goes more than two minutes  :P
Two minutes isn't sex, It's an accident.

charles

• Harem Master
  • LAWNMOWER MASACRE
    • View Profile
    • google profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2010, 06:39:06 pm »
Yes people... even this thread can derail into sex.

Welcome to the Flipside forums  :P

Churba

• Passion Player
  • The Fresh Prince of Leeds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2010, 06:44:33 pm »

Not a bad effort, considering it's the second post in the thread.

akashayi

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2010, 06:50:07 pm »

Not a bad effort, considering it's the second post in the thread.

It's also in the first post, you might notice. I love you guys ;P

On topic, I'm gonna be trying out systema this weekend, if all goes well. Something I've been meaning to do, my brother used to train under Vladimir Vasiliev, who is by far the most talented I've seen.

Systema appeals to my sense of practicality and utter violence, when it comes to martial arts, so I figure it's a good next move.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvF17Wd4Fz4
« Last Edit: January 07, 2010, 06:52:25 pm by akashayi »

akashayi

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2010, 06:59:05 pm »
Great, now I'm completely distracted with systema videos again, like I was earlier today.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKeQgOddZjQ

Oddball

• Nymphomaniac!!
  • Me the 13th Duke of Wymbourne are they quite mad!
    • MSN Messenger - oddballsco@hotmail.co.uk
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - oddball24sco
    • View Profile
    • Myspace Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2010, 12:19:41 am »
Well have listed my activies in here some where so wont list them unless you want me to.
What good is dreaming it if you don't actually do it?.

leana

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2010, 03:23:18 am »
I've been doing kickboxing for a while.Unfortunatly, i've been doing so many shifts...it made me quit, cause i could hardly train once a week. Imight go back to doing it again...at another gym...where i can train all day long.
I find it a great sport to keep physically and mentally strong.
It keeps me strong because of the fact that you use your complete body for it and you have to be really fit and lean to be good at it.... next to that i've been getting a few punches and that makes me more confident...and not totally flabbergasted when i would get punched.
I haven't ever had to use it, but if i would be in a situation...i would....unless running would be an option as well...

Kanazaka

• Hot Streaker
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2010, 01:51:58 pm »
About the only exercise I've gotten lately is walking and Wii Sports, but I've done both quite a bit.  I took bowling this past academic semester, so my arms and legs got some exercise there.  I also swim occasionally during the summer.

Trainman

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2010, 12:52:57 pm »
Lifting weights=jawesome

then again, maybe it's because I'm far too lazy to do any cardio these days :P ;D

charles

• Harem Master
  • LAWNMOWER MASACRE
    • View Profile
    • google profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2010, 01:57:22 pm »
I'm currently hitting hard into just cardio to get my stamina up and burn off some of the padding.  But then I'll be getting heavy into the protein and muscle workouts to build up strength and once I'm happy with that I'll just maintain the level and work on martial arts.

I've finally started eating healthy.  I was actually eating too little and it wasn't doing me any good so did some research and was surprised at just how much food you need to eat to make up 1200-1500 calories a day.  It's worked wonders.

akashayi

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2010, 02:06:13 pm »
I started training in Systema, actually. It's the completely opposite of everything I've done, Kempo, Karate, etc. :)

Good for you, Charles. What kind of martial arts would you work on?

charles

• Harem Master
  • LAWNMOWER MASACRE
    • View Profile
    • google profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2010, 02:11:17 pm »
Still not exactly sure.

I'm thinking Tai Chi in the morning for a sort of meditative start to the day and then see whats available in my area.

Apparently Tang Sou Dao is the only one in my exact suburb but I'll have to do more research and find out how good it is.  I think it's one of those newer styles derived from something but not sure yet.  I do like the thought of ninjitsu but the closest practice centre is a fair way away.

No.Na.

• Red Light Worker
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Illusionslostone
    • View Profile
    • Deviant art
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2010, 09:39:05 pm »
i haven't been doing my regular routine due to the icebox that is my room, but I am getting back into it. but for summer i wanted to try surfing cause it seems fun and I live so darn close to the ocean. even though I know nothing about surfing X) I personally think it wont happen but i would like it to.

I also would like to practice kendo too at some point
In the three fates we trust

CrystalDragonSpaceMarine

• Eternal Lover
  • Show me your enemies.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2010, 10:45:01 am »

When it's with me, you only need two minutes, 'cuz I'm so intense.
Two minutes in heaven is better than one minute in heaven.

I'd like to do kendo or a similar art...if I knew anywhere for it.

Oh, also, I like to work out to "Make a Man Out of You", it gets me hyped!

Emp_Dragon

• Harem Master
  • Submit to the power of Sam
    • MSN Messenger - erik.arteus@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2010, 01:50:27 pm »
Does target practice on a shooting range with a pistol count as martial arts? XD

akashayi

« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2010, 02:00:50 pm »
Does target practice on a shooting range with a pistol count as martial arts? XD

When I was teaching kempo, the instructors were taken to a shooting range as part of their training.

So, yes? ;P

Emp_Dragon

• Harem Master
  • Submit to the power of Sam
    • MSN Messenger - erik.arteus@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2010, 02:03:32 pm »
heh, though mine isn't inclined towards combat...
At least not the pistol sporting, and the Home guard exercixes can't really be called sport either, nor can the strategy of table-top wargaming...

Stardreamer

« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2010, 03:59:05 am »
... nor can the strategy of table-top wargaming...
Why you should learn a martial art when you know how to make other do your dirty work?? :P :P :P

Anyway, I've practice shotokan karate for 7 years, then I moved house and I didn't find a gym near , so I started ITF Tae Kwon Do, and it's been 5 years since now.
I really can't say which is better between karate or tkd, I prefer the last one cause I'm good with legs but a totaly disaster with arms.
Akasha do you are a kempo master? how is it???

Lozkas

• Tender Young Virgin
  • My personal opinion is what matters to ME!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2011, 03:27:09 am »
For me it is Yoshokai Aikido. I Started with Aikikai Aikido in college two years ago, but the Yoshokai dojo was closest to my house and twenty bucks a month cheaper to attend. Just learning any kind of martial art gives you a sense of energy you never knew you could have.
You better drop me something good, 'cause I'm gonna beat you like a pinata!

Brekkjern

• Erotic
  • Le fu-
    • View Profile
    • Brekkjern.net
« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2011, 07:05:17 pm »
I did do epee fencing before. Got mediocre at it until I ruined my knee. After that I stopped. I kind of miss the sport, but not so much the training methods. I wanted to do it for fun. Not to be the best in the world.

Then I found airsoft. It is kind of like paintball, but you use 6mm plastic bb's. We don't play to win. Just to have fun and it truly is. I play a version called "MilSim" which is short for Military Simulation. We use camouflage and replica weapons while playing. It is much more intense than computer games and the likes. Awesome fun :D

Lozkas

• Tender Young Virgin
  • My personal opinion is what matters to ME!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2011, 12:31:06 am »
Did fencing to for a while. Got me interested in weapons I think. Did okay in it, but found wearing the masked to be a bit to constricting. Either that or it wasn't fitted right. I think I had gotten sick from one once that was used, it certainly smiled funky, and felt a bit tight. One of my Aikido sensei's started out in fencing before he saw the Aikido class that shared the same room as his fencing class going in and saw they had weapons and so followed them in and partook in the class. Later he started applying what he learned in Aikido in fencing and managed to impress his instructor enough to be his assistant instructor.
You better drop me something good, 'cause I'm gonna beat you like a pinata!

L0g0s

• Hot Streaker
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2011, 07:29:29 pm »
Well, my job used to be my exercise.  (Tote that bale, pull that stump kind of stuff.)
But then I got higher paying, less exercise jobs.   I'm trying to get into weight lifting, (Without much success.) I was doing regular hiking (With success!) Until I had my bike wreck, which de-railed that for awhile.  I'm trying to get back into that, but it's harder this time around (So busy.)  And I am taking part in some competitive shooting meets, and those're cardio because you're  running (carefully) between sets, but I only do those once a month, so, that doesn't help all that much.

So in short, I'm not getting any real exercise! :)

Ryuu

• Experimental
  • I like robot ninja chocolate monkeys!
    • MSN Messenger - r_y_u_u@hotmail.co.uk
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2011, 01:44:00 am »
i just took up free running, seems fun, and really not expensive to start (just need clothes that are easy to move in and shoes that are comforatable to run in).
i used to do ki aikido, but i stopped when i had exams in college and never got around to going back

Flipside desktops, knock yourself out.
now with more pictures!