Author Topic: What Are You Reading Right Now?!?!?! :)  (Read 72086 times)

shadowfire

Re: What Are You Reading Right Now?!?!?! :)
« Reply #90 on: December 06, 2009, 02:10:22 pm »
a book on body language and another on analizing behaviors

Oddball

• Nymphomaniac!!
  • Me the 13th Duke of Wymbourne are they quite mad!
    • MSN Messenger - oddballsco@hotmail.co.uk
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - oddball24sco
    • View Profile
    • Myspace Profile
    • Email
« Reply #91 on: December 14, 2009, 10:51:42 am »
Rough Justice by Jack Higgins
What good is dreaming it if you don't actually do it?.

Kanazaka

• Hot Streaker
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: December 21, 2009, 12:43:10 pm »
I just finished reading Gateway by Frederik Pohl.  It was excellent, but I felt that the ending was too abrupt.  I'll probably read the sequels someday.  I'm also reading the second volume of The Authority ("Under New Management") and an older Doonesbury collection (Peace Out, Dawg!, for those interested).
« Last Edit: December 26, 2009, 12:34:25 pm by Kanazaka »

leana

« Reply #93 on: December 25, 2009, 09:04:44 am »
"Men who hate woman/the girl with the dragon tattoo" by Stieg Larsson! It's good... "Every-one carries a secret"
The girl with the dragon-tattoo is awesome...and so true!!!!!!!!

RoninAngel

• Eternal Lover
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #94 on: December 30, 2009, 11:50:20 pm »
I just finished Naama's Kiss by Jacqueline Carey.
It was  :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*! Her best sense Kushiel's Dart.
I am now reading Glalilee by Clive Barker.
It's okay. But not his best.  :-\
I got 99 problems but a nymphomaniac jester girl ain't one.

Kanazaka

• Hot Streaker
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: January 27, 2010, 06:00:41 pm »
As stated in another thread, I'm currently reading The Other Boleyn Girl.  It's very good so far, but I have a long way to go.  I recently finished reading The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (the original novel) which is quite a bit better than the anime.

CrystalDragonSpaceMarine

• Eternal Lover
  • Show me your enemies.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #96 on: January 27, 2010, 09:55:51 pm »

He needs to finish the third Abarat book.
I started reading that shit in high school!

Oddball

• Nymphomaniac!!
    • View Profile
    • Myspace Profile
    • Email
« Reply #97 on: January 28, 2010, 12:05:37 am »
The Sum Of All Fears by Tom Clancy

Emp_Dragon

• Harem Master
  • Submit to the power of Sam
    • MSN Messenger - erik.arteus@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: January 28, 2010, 10:07:57 am »
TITANICUS a WH40k novel

tbeean

• Red Light Worker
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
    • Email
« Reply #99 on: February 17, 2010, 05:20:31 am »
the shining - steven king :D

RoninAngel

• Eternal Lover
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #100 on: March 09, 2010, 08:15:07 am »
Reading empowered and rereading Naamas Kiss.
I have a hard time finishing books I like sometimes, because I don't want the characters to go away.

Emp_Dragon

• Harem Master
  • Submit to the power of Sam
    • MSN Messenger - erik.arteus@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: March 09, 2010, 08:37:41 am »
Just read Chanur's Legacy by C.J. Cherryh

Kanazaka

• Hot Streaker
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: March 10, 2010, 07:28:00 pm »
Just read The History of Violence.  It's quite a bit different from the movie, but equally as good.

Pozf

• Nymphomaniac!!
  • What is a man?
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: March 30, 2010, 04:07:22 pm »
Picked up the Divine Comedy, I'll be reading through that.
'Science is on the march. Don't get in its way.'

parameciumkid

• Kinky
  • http://helia.heliohost.org
    • AOL Instant Messenger - parameciumkid
    • View Profile
    • Helia - The Girl in the Yellow Dress
« Reply #104 on: March 30, 2010, 05:23:00 pm »
I love that book! Or at least the part I read... sadly I can't claim to really have read it since I only got to read the first part.

Anyway, I'm reading Flipside!
Hi.
I've been out for two years, so warn me if I act like I missed something obvious. ^^;

...oh, and to anyone who missed me, I'm open to hugs, kisses, and intense tearful cuddles.

Kanazaka

• Hot Streaker
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: March 30, 2010, 06:57:33 pm »
I just started reading Wicked Willow I:  The Darkening, the first book in a trilogy that presents an alternate history of Willow's rampage at the end of Season Six of Buffy the Vampire Slayer.  Nothing new so far, but it's pretty good, and it's interesting to see events from an author's interpretation of Willow's point of view.

Pozf

• Nymphomaniac!!
  • What is a man?
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: March 30, 2010, 07:17:22 pm »
I love that book! Or at least the part I read... sadly I can't claim to really have read it since I only got to read the first part.

Anyway, I'm reading Flipside!

It was a pain in the ass to find the complete story in the borders, they had 2 copies and one was hardcover. Where as they had about a dozen of the inferno and about a half dozen of the purgatorio and the paradiso each
'Science is on the march. Don't get in its way.'

Sidralma

• Slave Groupie
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: April 26, 2010, 01:16:44 am »
The Unwritten an ongoing Vertigo/DC comic series written by Mike Carey with art by Peter Gross. It's an odd one.. and the first trade paperback collecting it's beginning issues has come out giving anyone bored & with a Barnes & Noble/major book retailer/comic shop a chance to flip thru it. Odds are it'll be there. I hear it's gotten good reviews as well as an Eisner nomination. Describing it is tough.. mostly because I realize I've developed an irrational love for it and can't objectively recommend it, lol. I recommend taking this peek of "On the Ledge" - a Vertigo blog where the writers describe their work & some of the their thinking in, well, their own words.

http://www.dccomics.com/vertigo/news/?nw=13062

Speaking of comics this upcoming Saturday (May 1st) is free comic book day. If you're a comic fan and you live in the U.S. consider stopping by your local comic shop. Most shops will offer a sizable stack of freebies as well as good discounts on their inventory. :)
« Last Edit: April 26, 2010, 01:23:05 am by Sidralma »
We're all living in Plato's cave, and we've papered the walls with fictions.

akashayi

« Reply #108 on: April 26, 2010, 02:24:59 pm »
is it free comic book day again already? I just realized how fast the past year flew by. Can't wait. :)

Oddball

• Nymphomaniac!!
    • View Profile
    • Myspace Profile
    • Email
« Reply #109 on: April 26, 2010, 02:37:44 pm »
My physio therapy instructions  :-\

RoninAngel

• Eternal Lover
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #110 on: August 17, 2010, 10:27:27 am »

He needs to finish the third Abarat book.
I started reading that shit in high school!

What is Abarat about? Is it any good? Could you tell me a little about it?

I've taken a break from Galilee. I got to the part where the female protagonist runs away from her rich boyfriend. It's an alright book, but a little mundane in spots.
In other Clive Barker related news, I finally found my copy of Imajica. I lost it when I was on the last chapter :(. So now I can finally finish it!  :D

I've kind of overdosed with books lately.
Currently reading:

Princess Resurrection series: Super awesome manga comic with vampires and werewolves and buckets of blood. Also has the requisite magical girlfriend and harem influences, witch I love.

Empowered Volume 5: Took a break from this series when I could  not longer get it illegally on the internets. Got a copy from the library and am as always impressed with the combination of shameless titillation and great storytelling.

Rhapsody series by Elizabeth Haydon: Fantasy novel, pretty good if a little slow in parts. Mostly I really like the characters. They are all unique and awesome. Rhapsody is a beautiful former prostitute who has magical singing powers, Akmed the Snake is a super competent assassin with the ability too feel other's hearts beating and with an awesome crossbow-throwing star weapon he invented himself, and my favorite character, Grunthor is a huge giant with a soft heart and giant knife for every occasion. They mostly explore the center of the world in the first novel. It's pretty cool.

Moon Called by Patricia Briggs: Going back to my guilty pleasure of sex-fueled-supernatural-Mary Sue-crime-fiction, Patrica Briggs reminds me a lot of what Laurel K. Hamilton was like before she started to suck. The Heroin, Mercides, is a sexy mechanic shape shifter with a penchant hard-boiled film noir narration. Pretty good so far, and I can't help but love these kinds of books because the good ones are like a role call of everything I love to the point of embarrasment. If the first novel is as fun as I think it will be, I might read the rest of the series.

:-*

Oddball

• Nymphomaniac!!
    • View Profile
    • Myspace Profile
    • Email
« Reply #111 on: August 17, 2010, 02:04:05 pm »
A Horus Heresy book by James Swallow called Nemesis (war with in the shadows)

CrystalDragonSpaceMarine

• Eternal Lover
  • Show me your enemies.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #112 on: August 17, 2010, 02:06:20 pm »
What is Abarat about? Is it any good? Could you tell me a little about it?

This chick named Candy hates her life, ends up summoning an ocean from a lighthouse in the middle of the woods, and ends up travelling to a bizarre land made up of islands, each based on an hour of the day (so the Noon island is always bright day, and the Midnight island is always pitch black night, for example). Really imaginative, awesome creepy villain, lots of cool stuff…but, we’ve been waiting like seven years now for book 3. Personally, I’d put that on your list but not read them til the next book comes out so you aren’t stuck in the waiting zone.

Grr…same with Martin’s ASOIAF…though that’s not been taking quite as long.

Rhapsody series by Elizabeth Haydon: Fantasy novel, pretty good if a little slow in parts. Mostly I really like the characters. They are all unique and awesome. Rhapsody is a beautiful former prostitute who has magical singing powers, Akmed the Snake is a super competent assassin with the ability too feel other's hearts beating and with an awesome crossbow-throwing star weapon he invented himself, and my favorite character, Grunthor is a huge giant with a soft heart and giant knife for every occasion. They mostly explore the center of the world in the first novel. It's pretty cool.

I read that series (well, the first trilogy).

RoninAngel

• Eternal Lover
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #113 on: August 19, 2010, 06:15:12 pm »
I like it. The middle is a little slow because not a lot happens in the center of the earth. Then 1400 years has passed and the group is immortal, so it's cool.
I wish immortality was as easy as a little spelunking in real life.

CrystalDragonSpaceMarine

• Eternal Lover
  • Show me your enemies.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #114 on: August 19, 2010, 11:59:40 pm »
I like it. The middle is a little slow because not a lot happens in the center of the earth. Then 1400 years has passed and the group is immortal, so it's cool.
I wish immortality was as easy as a little spelunking in real life.

The only complain I have is a lack of awesome, memorable villains.

K, favorite/least favorite character time.

My Favorite: Achmed (which should be obvious for me).

Least Favorite: Ashe.

RoninAngel

• Eternal Lover
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #115 on: August 20, 2010, 08:46:10 am »
I like Grunthor. He's funny. He's also a sweetheart. But he's still approximatively 2 tons of bad-ass.

I don't have a least favorite character yet. I was worried that Jo would be annoying but I actually find her funny. Achmed grew on me because he is obviously the smartest and best strategist, also, when it seems like he's being mean most of the time it just means he's being extra cautious. The only character I am annoyed with is Gwydion/Sam. He's set up as this big love interest, he lies about his name and origins, and then disappears for a million pages. But it doesn't work out too well for him either.

As far as the villains are concerned, I think the F'dor are quite memorably. Formless demons that can possess anyone and live forever and want to burn the world? Brrrrrr.
I don't think you have to be a unique dude to be a memorable villain exactly. Sometimes you just have to be creepy. The F'dor are creepy. Real creepy.

They remind me of the Yeerks in Animorphs I read when I was a teenager. The Yeerks were creepy for the same reason; they could be anywhere and anybody.

CrystalDragonSpaceMarine

• Eternal Lover
  • Show me your enemies.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #116 on: August 20, 2010, 11:48:33 am »
I don't have a least favorite character yet. I was worried that Jo would be annoying but I actually find her funny. Achmed grew on me because he is obviously the smartest and best strategist, also, when it seems like he's being mean most of the time it just means he's being extra cautious. The only character I am annoyed with is Gwydion/Sam. He's set up as this big love interest, he lies about his name and origins, and then disappears for a million pages. But it doesn't work out too well for him either.

Oh, yes, Gwydion/Sam is also an irritating character.

What's your opinion on Rhapsody? Find her to be a Mary Sue as so many claim?
Who would you rather score with, Rhapsody or Jo (age issues aside)?

As far as the villains are concerned, I think the F'dor are quite memorably. Formless demons that can possess anyone and live forever and want to burn the world? Brrrrrr.
I don't think you have to be a unique dude to be a memorable villain exactly. Sometimes you just have to be creepy. The F'dor are creepy. Real creepy.

They remind me of the Yeerks in Animorphs I read when I was a teenager. The Yeerks were creepy for the same reason; they could be anywhere and anybody.

But they have no personality. It's been a couple years, but not once do I remember a F'dor giving a big speech like, "BEHOLD, YE WORLD SHALT END IN FLAAAAMESSSS!!!!" or something similarly hammy, which to me is a must for wannabe-world-destroying demons.

RoninAngel

• Eternal Lover
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #117 on: August 20, 2010, 07:14:59 pm »
I like Rhapsody. I don't really find her to be particularly Sue-ish at all. Most of the time she is presented as a relatively likable she's not Too Good for This Sinful Earth, she shows intelligence and resourcefulness several times throughout the book, but doesn't take over everyone else's rolls to the point where the other characters are reduced to useless spectators. Grunthor and Achmed still get to do cool stuff, even if most of the focus is on her. I like how she both stands up for herself and admits when she is wrong. She often takes herself a little too seriously, but to me that's part of her being a well-rounded character.
The most Sue-ish thing about her is her amazing breathtaking beauty which can induce some eye-rolls from me at times, but she mostly isn't aware of it and doesn't take over the story (and honestly, being so pretty everyone immediately falls in love with you is actually a pretty cool super-power). If she is a Sue, to me it's an example of Tropes Are Not Bad because her author-avatar-ness is reduced to the point where I don't feel like I am reading some lady's masturbation fantasy. Mostly I let that kind of stuff slide if the character is likable. I have read the Laurel K. Hamilton Anita Blake books until the unlikeable Sue-ish nature of the protagonist utterly ruined the series, so you could say I am kind of inoculated to it.

I would say Rhapsody between the two of them. Rhapsody seems like she would just be a gentler and more understanding lover and she is prettier then Jo. Also as of where I am at in book 1 (about 150 pages from the end) she had her virginity restored- making her a virgin and a whore at the same time, perfect for my virgin whore complex.  ;) [/sarcasm]

CrystalDragonSpaceMarine

• Eternal Lover
  • Show me your enemies.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #118 on: August 20, 2010, 10:45:45 pm »
The most Sue-ish thing about her is her amazing breathtaking beauty which can induce some eye-rolls from me at times, but she mostly isn't aware of it and doesn't take over the story (and honestly, being so pretty everyone immediately falls in love with you is actually a pretty cool super-power).

For me the "doesn't realize it" is the most annoyist aspect, but I don't mind explicit beauty in characters...I'm actually more irritated when authors shuffle around making their characters explicitly beautiful when they really should be.

I would say Rhapsody between the two of them. Rhapsody seems like she would just be a gentler and more understanding lover and she is prettier then Jo. Also as of where I am at in book 1 (about 150 pages from the end) she had her virginity restored- making her a virgin and a whore at the same time, perfect for my virgin whore complex.  ;) [/sarcasm]

I was always more of a Jo fan. Not sure why...maybe because she's more of a rough diamonds, so to speak. I'd have to reread, but Rhaps, I recall, had qualities I wasn't endeared to...not toosure what though.

RoninAngel

• Eternal Lover
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #119 on: August 21, 2010, 02:25:30 am »
She's kind of a whiny diva when she is in the earth, but she grows out of it. It's just realistic to be an unhappy camper when you are stuck under the earth with people you don't know for 1,400 years. I would have probably complained a lot more.