Author Topic: What Are You Reading Right Now?!?!?! :)  (Read 72081 times)

RoninAngel

• Eternal Lover
    • View Profile
    • Email
What Are You Reading Right Now?!?!?! :)
« on: March 17, 2009, 11:55:04 am »
Post here about what comics and books and magizines that you are currently reading, and tell us your reviews and opinions about them and thoughts about what others have read. Remeber Reading is Fun(damental!) :D

Currently Reading: Kurohime, Flipside, Kushiel's Mercy, The Year of Living Biblically, Imajica.

Reviews: Soon to Come!
I got 99 problems but a nymphomaniac jester girl ain't one.

Oddball

• Nymphomaniac!!
  • Me the 13th Duke of Wymbourne are they quite mad!
    • MSN Messenger - oddballsco@hotmail.co.uk
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - oddball24sco
    • View Profile
    • Myspace Profile
    • Email
Re: What Are You Reading Right Now?!?!?! :)
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2009, 11:58:36 am »
reading The HitchHicker's guide To The Galaxy Trilogy Of Four.   Right now on  The Restruant At The End Of The Universe should be a good laugh more to follow......
What good is dreaming it if you don't actually do it?.

Pozf

• Nymphomaniac!!
  • What is a man?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2009, 12:16:25 pm »
I don't read unless you count Webcomics....sooo:
Marry Me, Ctrl+Alt+Del, Vg Cats, Fanboys, Nuklear power, Order of the Stick, Looking for group, XKCD, the Book of Biff, Flipside, Paradox Lost (NEVER FREAKING UPDATES), Questionable Content, Sore Thumbs, My Life in a Cube, +EV, The Final Fantasy 6 comic, Mystic Revolution, Least I Could Do, Anders Loves Maria, Menage a 3, Powerpuff Girls Doujinshi, Grim Tales, Dreamless, Candi, Pennie and Aggie, Sequential Art.

Now I was gonna write something about a lot of these but it was all the same so, it pretty much boils down to I'm bored... Al ot so I read a lot of webcomics... some I don't even particularly like.
'Science is on the march. Don't get in its way.'

RoninAngel

• Eternal Lover
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2009, 02:27:27 pm »
Kurohime: a comic about a busty witch who is the worlds most powerful magic bullet user. She has been turned into a little girl without any powers by the gods and she meets a young man who idolizes her. When ever she feels love she can turn into her super self and do battle. It's a pretty good action romance comic of the magical girlfreind/bodyguard veritiey. I think the art is choice and the story is pretty fun, even if it can get gimmicy at times. Like I said though, I read it mosty for the babe art. :-[

Kushiel's Mercy by Jacqueline Carey: The end of a complex and engaging series about Imerial de la Corsel no Montrevue, the 3rd in line to the trown in the fictional nation of Terre d'Ange. I highly recomend this series. It's very good, very sexy, very engaging, very heartfelt very, just awsome! If you like Flipside there is no reason you shouldn't like this series. (Apart from the fact that some of the books are very long. Not boring mind you, just long.) But start with Kushiel's Dart, becuase that is the first and the best one IMO.

Imajica by Clive Barker: Another great fantacy novel but more on the literary and wierd side. The author has been quoted as saying he got the material from his dreams and I daresay that the book comes across as very dreamlike. Recomended for folks who like wierd and cool things.

The Year of Living Biblically: One Man's Humble Quest to follow the Bible as Literally as Possible by A. J. Jacobs: I love these kind of slice of life adventure books as long as they are well written. Agnostic A.J. Jacobs sets to learn what the hubub about religion really is when he tries to do everything commanded  by the Bible that isn't illegal or prohibited by his wife. So far his journey has been amusing and thought provoking and I love this kind of book. You don't have to believe in God to enjoy reading it either. 

charles

• Harem Master
  • LAWNMOWER MASACRE
    • MSN Messenger - charles_wilkinson@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • google profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2009, 05:13:44 pm »

THE AMTRAK WARS by Patrick Tilley
Series of 6 Sci/fi novels

Just finished the Amtrak Wars by Patrick Tilley.

Now the first thing anyone who's read that series to the end will tell you is that the ending sucked... And I've just done the same.  Without getting into details, it felt like the Author got to page 400 and suddenly realised he needed to end the book.  Funny thing is I had no problem with the fate of some of the characters or the Epilogue it's self, (actually I loved it) just the last 3-4 chapters before it which seemed to take the remaining loose ends and either write them off as never having been anything important or tie them up abruptly in contrast to the rest of the series.  Beyond that, there are a few facts that seem to contradict each other along the way, but ultimately I found I could shrug them off in favour of the epic tale that was told.

As a Series, The Amtrak Wars were LEGENDARY! The idea is a post apololyptic United States of America in the 30th century as the radiation from a war in 2015 has finally begun to subside.  A civilisation, known as the Amtrak federation, has spawned underground from those who survived the war in shelters and they have finally surfaced to take back the blue-sky world from the mutants (mutes) who have survived and resisted the radiation to become a tribal race with close links to nature and the earth.  A member of the Federation is captured by the mutes and slowly begins to uncover the truths behind his underground race and the destiny of all in the mute's sacred Talisman Prophecy that fortells the destiny of them all.

The world Patrick creates is amazing and detailed to the point that I could easily imagine a vast number of off-shoot novels and an entire RPG world that could have spawned from it.  Politics and intrigue support a tale of might, magick and technology of varying degrees as a number of characters question their fundamental beliefs and very being as they unravel a web of myth, fiction and lies that they have built their lives upon.  One character in particular leaves us spellbound as we are left constantly uncertain as to his loyalties and certianly the character never quite seems certain themselves right up until the end of the entire series.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2009, 05:15:54 pm by charles »
CLAN OF THE CATS IS MAKING A COMEBACK! JUNE 8th.  BE THERE!

Admiral Apocolypto

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2009, 09:22:16 pm »
reading The HitchHicker's guide To The Galaxy Trilogy Of Five.
Fixed that for ya.  But yeah, you haven't read it before?  I should probably reread it again this summer, it's great stuff and I've forgotten too much of it (haven't read it since high school.)

I just finished John Grisham's new book, The Associate.  I am a Grisham junkie...not sure why, but I read a few some years back, and...well, I liked them enough to end up reading the rest of his books, and now I just have one a year to read.  Great author.

Oddball

• Nymphomaniac!!
    • View Profile
    • Myspace Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2009, 02:30:16 am »
errrr no thats the title on the book im reading just now and i know there are probably 5 or 6 Hithiker book in total.

Admiral Apocolypto

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2009, 09:53:49 am »
Just 5.

akashayi

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2009, 07:37:10 pm »
Strictly talking about physical books/comics I'm reading right now, the Preacher and Fables comic series, and Programming Collective Intelligence.

Wanting to pick up that new Ender's book from Orson Scott Card that just came out, though.

Admiral Apocolypto

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2009, 07:55:35 pm »
Preacher
So awesome.  I read the entire series a few years back.  I just IMed you, we need to talk about it.

Sidralma

• Slave Groupie
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2009, 01:35:22 am »
*Gets out notepad* I'll have to jot some of these titles down for my next trip to the library.

Well I'm like 2 pages from the end but I'm reading The Lucifer Effect by famed psychologist Dr. Philip Zimbardo. It's been pretty fun and sobering. One of those books that makes you want to take stock of your surroundings and watch them very warily, heh.

I also recently finished a fantastic comic series I'd recommend to, well, pretty much anyone. It's called Y The Last Man. It's a neat, well written "what if" venture into a world where suddenly all the men and male mammals drop dead - well almost all. As the title pretty much gives away, there's one small vestige of testosterone left & boy do things get crazy really fast for that poor guy & his pet monkey...
We're all living in Plato's cave, and we've papered the walls with fictions.

Oddball

• Nymphomaniac!!
    • View Profile
    • Myspace Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2009, 01:43:35 am »
Should have some free time at the weekend so off out to track down the HHGTTG Trilogy of five almost finished the trilogy of four. good book.

akashayi

« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2009, 02:04:13 am »
I loved Y the last man. Finished it some time ago now, but I also suggest it for people looking for new comics. Extremely well written. And Ampersand made me happy.

Brion Foulke

• Administrator
  • Experimental
    • AOL Instant Messenger - flipsider99
    • View Profile
    • www.flipsidecomics.com
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2009, 09:38:41 am »
I'm trying to read Y The Last Man right now, but having some trouble getting into it.  I've also started reading the Oldboy manga, which turns out to be very good.  I didn't realize it came out before the movie.

Also, lately I've been reading a lot of Jojo's Bizarre Adventure online, all the stuff they didn't release over here.  It's ridiculous, but I find it to be very addicting!  It's also a very manly comic. ^^

akashayi

« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2009, 11:22:48 am »
Wait, wait, wait. There's an Oldboy comic? The vengeance trilogy are some of my favorite movies- And Oldboy has the number one fight scene that has ever been in any movie. I must obtain said comic.

RoninAngel

• Eternal Lover
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2009, 11:46:22 am »
Strictly talking about physical books/comics I'm reading right now, the Preacher and Fables comic series, and Programming Collective Intelligence.

Wanting to pick up that new Ender's book from Orson Scott Card that just came out, though.

Have you read Ender's Game and Ender's Shadow?

I read both of those and enjoyed them.
But whlie I'm on the subject, maybe I'm being paranoid, but I don't understand the series's somwhat disconcerting fixation on (naked) small children. What's up with that?  :'(
« Last Edit: March 19, 2009, 12:49:00 pm by RoninAngel »

Brion Foulke

• Administrator
  • Experimental
    • View Profile
    • www.flipsidecomics.com
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2009, 12:30:35 pm »
Yes.  Turns out that the movie was adapted from the manga.  The manga has a different feel and seems a bit more fleshed out than the movie... so far I'm still on the first volume, though.  It's being published by Dark Horse.  Might be hard to find if you don't order it through their website.

If you want to check it out online, here's a website that has some scans you can sample:

http://stoptazmo.com/downloads/manga_viewer.php?series=old_boy&chapter=old_boy_001.zip

akashayi

« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2009, 12:35:10 pm »
Heh, I know stoptazmo >.>
Grabbing and checking that out. Of course, I like hard copies of things these days that I can fill my library with. Is that a sign I'm getting old?

Brion Foulke

• Administrator
  • Experimental
    • View Profile
    • www.flipsidecomics.com
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2009, 01:03:48 pm »
Oh, I agree!  But online scans are a nice way to try something out before you buy it.  Don't you hate it when you buy a book and think to yourself "I wish I could've read this before I bought it, I would've realized it sucked?"

I've read all of Bleach and Hunter x Hunter online, but I still plan to buy the books as they come out.  Same with Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, but apparently it's been stopped for legal reasons.  And they've already said they're never translating the earlier stories.

By the way, if you see some characters pop in my comic soon who bear a strong resemblance to Jojo's Bizarre Adventure character designs, you'll know why!
« Last Edit: March 19, 2009, 01:06:16 pm by Brion Foulke »

LordKaT

« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2009, 07:35:23 pm »
I've just finished reading the Night Angel Trilogy: http://www.thewayofshadows.com/

Fucking awesome fantasy triology. I finished it in about a week - and that's with all three books coming in at 650+ pages a piece.

Razzly

• Erotic
  • Contrast.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2009, 03:43:53 am »
Oh, I agree!  But online scans are a nice way to try something out before you buy it.  Don't you hate it when you buy a book and think to yourself "I wish I could've read this before I bought it, I would've realized it sucked?"

I do this with movies. I download them, watch them, and -then- I buy them.

One of the biggest reasons I hope that The Pirate Bay prevails greedy companies and their copyrights.
Winner of Brion Foulke's "cute little panda"-award.
"Mutta rukous on vain mutina tuulessa, ei sitä kukaan kuule..."

RoninAngel

• Eternal Lover
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2009, 12:04:08 pm »
I've just finished reading the Night Angel Trilogy: http://www.thewayofshadows.com/

Fucking awesome fantasy triology. I finished it in about a week - and that's with all three books coming in at 650+ pages a piece.

wow! sounds good. What's it about?

(Angels are my favoritest  :-*)

LordKaT

« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2009, 09:00:08 am »
It has nothing to do with angels, sorry.

It's about a kid who wants to be the best assassin ever. He convinces the current best assassin ever to take him on as an apprentice. He's then throw into a world of murder, political balance, magic, and immortality.

It's a fairly typical 3 part fantasy-adventure epic (read also: LOTR, Star Wars, etc...), so you can predict where each of the books will end, but the path to get there is fascinating. The book's aren't typical in that they dive deeper into the political (un)balance of various actions, especially those taken by the assassins, moreso than the lives of the assassins themselves.

It has a pretty neat magic system, that's almost like what Brion has developed, as well as a fairly interesting world.

Overall, though, I loved the books, and I can't wait until 2013 when Brent is scheduled to write another night angel trilogy.

Pozf

• Nymphomaniac!!
  • What is a man?
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2009, 09:48:28 pm »
Jonathan Swift- A Modest Proposal

Not a book but I love this essay.
'Science is on the march. Don't get in its way.'

Admiral Apocolypto

« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2009, 10:24:53 pm »
Brilliant satire ^_^

UmberIsSexy

• Erotic
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2009, 12:15:12 pm »
Watchmen..I'm pretty excited.  I haven't seen the movie yet, but I'm mostly excited because I haven't read a good comic (or bad comic) in ages.  ahem, sorry, Graphic Novel I mean.

edit! apart from the three excellent pages of online awesomeness I usually read each week that is!!  (no really I just meant on paper..well plus it seems to be kind of an old-school superheroish comic, which I was raised on.  The art reminds me of old comic style.)
« Last Edit: March 27, 2009, 01:23:34 pm by UmberIsSexy »

Oddball

• Nymphomaniac!!
    • View Profile
    • Myspace Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2009, 09:39:50 am »
Scuba Diving: The essential guide to equpment and techniques, also Catch 22.

Admiral Apocalypto

« Reply #27 on: March 28, 2009, 09:48:05 pm »
I'm just finishing up Ender in Exile.  It's pretty good.

RoninAngel

• Eternal Lover
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2009, 09:57:53 am »
Currently reading.

On Writing, by Steven King.
It's cool, it's basically his experaince and advice on being a writer. 

Emp_Dragon

• Harem Master
  • Submit to the power of Sam
    • MSN Messenger - erik.arteus@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 05, 2009, 01:22:45 pm »
Just finished "Dark Apostle" by Anthony Reynolds