Maytag's Playhouse > Pop Culture

What Are You Reading Right Now?!?!?! :)

(1/38) > >>

RoninAngel:
Post here about what comics and books and magizines that you are currently reading, and tell us your reviews and opinions about them and thoughts about what others have read. Remeber Reading is Fun(damental!) :D

Currently Reading: Kurohime, Flipside, Kushiel's Mercy, The Year of Living Biblically, Imajica.

Reviews: Soon to Come!

Oddball:
reading The HitchHicker's guide To The Galaxy Trilogy Of Four.   Right now on  The Restruant At The End Of The Universe should be a good laugh more to follow......

Pozf:
I don't read unless you count Webcomics....sooo:
Marry Me, Ctrl+Alt+Del, Vg Cats, Fanboys, Nuklear power, Order of the Stick, Looking for group, XKCD, the Book of Biff, Flipside, Paradox Lost (NEVER FREAKING UPDATES), Questionable Content, Sore Thumbs, My Life in a Cube, +EV, The Final Fantasy 6 comic, Mystic Revolution, Least I Could Do, Anders Loves Maria, Menage a 3, Powerpuff Girls Doujinshi, Grim Tales, Dreamless, Candi, Pennie and Aggie, Sequential Art.

Now I was gonna write something about a lot of these but it was all the same so, it pretty much boils down to I'm bored... Al ot so I read a lot of webcomics... some I don't even particularly like.

RoninAngel:
Kurohime: a comic about a busty witch who is the worlds most powerful magic bullet user. She has been turned into a little girl without any powers by the gods and she meets a young man who idolizes her. When ever she feels love she can turn into her super self and do battle. It's a pretty good action romance comic of the magical girlfreind/bodyguard veritiey. I think the art is choice and the story is pretty fun, even if it can get gimmicy at times. Like I said though, I read it mosty for the babe art. :-[

Kushiel's Mercy by Jacqueline Carey: The end of a complex and engaging series about Imerial de la Corsel no Montrevue, the 3rd in line to the trown in the fictional nation of Terre d'Ange. I highly recomend this series. It's very good, very sexy, very engaging, very heartfelt very, just awsome! If you like Flipside there is no reason you shouldn't like this series. (Apart from the fact that some of the books are very long. Not boring mind you, just long.) But start with Kushiel's Dart, becuase that is the first and the best one IMO.

Imajica by Clive Barker: Another great fantacy novel but more on the literary and wierd side. The author has been quoted as saying he got the material from his dreams and I daresay that the book comes across as very dreamlike. Recomended for folks who like wierd and cool things.

The Year of Living Biblically: One Man's Humble Quest to follow the Bible as Literally as Possible by A. J. Jacobs: I love these kind of slice of life adventure books as long as they are well written. Agnostic A.J. Jacobs sets to learn what the hubub about religion really is when he tries to do everything commanded  by the Bible that isn't illegal or prohibited by his wife. So far his journey has been amusing and thought provoking and I love this kind of book. You don't have to believe in God to enjoy reading it either. 

charles:

THE AMTRAK WARS by Patrick Tilley
Series of 6 Sci/fi novels

Just finished the Amtrak Wars by Patrick Tilley.

Now the first thing anyone who's read that series to the end will tell you is that the ending sucked... And I've just done the same.  Without getting into details, it felt like the Author got to page 400 and suddenly realised he needed to end the book.  Funny thing is I had no problem with the fate of some of the characters or the Epilogue it's self, (actually I loved it) just the last 3-4 chapters before it which seemed to take the remaining loose ends and either write them off as never having been anything important or tie them up abruptly in contrast to the rest of the series.  Beyond that, there are a few facts that seem to contradict each other along the way, but ultimately I found I could shrug them off in favour of the epic tale that was told.

As a Series, The Amtrak Wars were LEGENDARY! The idea is a post apololyptic United States of America in the 30th century as the radiation from a war in 2015 has finally begun to subside.  A civilisation, known as the Amtrak federation, has spawned underground from those who survived the war in shelters and they have finally surfaced to take back the blue-sky world from the mutants (mutes) who have survived and resisted the radiation to become a tribal race with close links to nature and the earth.  A member of the Federation is captured by the mutes and slowly begins to uncover the truths behind his underground race and the destiny of all in the mute's sacred Talisman Prophecy that fortells the destiny of them all.

The world Patrick creates is amazing and detailed to the point that I could easily imagine a vast number of off-shoot novels and an entire RPG world that could have spawned from it.  Politics and intrigue support a tale of might, magick and technology of varying degrees as a number of characters question their fundamental beliefs and very being as they unravel a web of myth, fiction and lies that they have built their lives upon.  One character in particular leaves us spellbound as we are left constantly uncertain as to his loyalties and certianly the character never quite seems certain themselves right up until the end of the entire series.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version