Author Topic: Flipside The Game  (Read 15598 times)

kusyo

Flipside The Game
« on: December 08, 2009, 01:12:38 pm »

how do you guys feel about a 2D RPG based on Flipside? I got the green light a few days ago from Brion Foulke to do just that. there not to much info about it as of right now then 3 screenshots and a little video of the intro movie.

I want the cutscenes to feel like a digital graphic comic. I really want to get the feeling of the comic into the game as much as I can. 

Video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-v9KrzbV2C8

screenshots
http://www.moddb.com/games/flipside-the-game/images

Website (Still being work on)
http://flipside.thenot4kidsnetwork.info/

Let me know what you think and if you want to help out on this game let me know.

9_6

Re: Flipside The Game
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2009, 01:28:08 pm »
Well so far all I see is you cut-pasting a cutscene together that even uses the same text as in the comic while playing music (that you made?) that doesn't really fit.
Also those have to be the most boring textboxes ever. Bam, the text is just there.
If that was supposed to impress me, I'm not.

How about showing the part that requires actual effort to make? Like, I dunno, gameplay?
« Last Edit: December 08, 2009, 01:34:50 pm by 9_6 »

akashayi

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2009, 02:06:52 pm »
Oh, you're using rpgmaker, right? I fully support a production of flipside into a game!

Little may and bern sprites would be too cute! Do you have any you can show us? Is that your avatar?

kusyo

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2009, 01:19:17 am »
using RPG Maker XP. Here is a test maytag sprite.

akashayi

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2009, 01:42:07 am »
Indeed, cute! But I'm a sucker for sprite art. And using comic cutscenes interwoven with some action/gameplay could be interesting...

Definitely keep us posted, yes? There's been other rpgmaker related stuff in the art section of this forum, so I'm not sure if you want to move this there or what, but it probably doesn't entirely matter. You could probably get some help from the nerd community here on the forums as well, if you wanted.

Is rpgmaker xp the one that allowed scripting in ruby, or was that the one after it... um... vx? It's been a while for me.

Foof

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2009, 02:01:42 pm »
I like how you put the opening scene together with the panels like that.  It's neat that you're using graphics from the comic.  The Maytag sprite?  Adorable.  I can't make my own sprites, I always have to edit the ones they have. ^^;

I believe VX is Ruby scripting.

kusyo

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2009, 06:11:48 pm »
getting the okay to use art from the comic is helping alot with game scene and in game over lays. I will have some in game screenshots  here tomorrow or the next day.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2009, 06:15:04 pm by kusyo »

Rhadan

• Tender Young Virgin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2009, 11:35:02 pm »
Good luck!

I know it's hard work to make a game ... Just some tips, don't just dive in there. Map it out beforehand, make plotlines, and don't overshoot the mark. Try to keep it small and simple, otherwise it won't get finished!

Dorbo

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2009, 10:28:13 pm »
Awsome. I fully support the idea. I can't wait to see the finished product. Not to rush you or anything.

kusyo

« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2009, 04:12:57 am »
just a little update, here is a sprite of Crest and a in game screenshot. "still working on the level"

kusyo

« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2010, 09:59:55 pm »
I am back with a update. I know it seem like it been way to long from the last time I'd posted something but then again maybe I am the only one thinking that... anyway I could go on about this and that but I got a feeling that would just bored you with it being more back end stuff and what not.

So I am going to show you something that I hope will hold you over to the next real update. I give to you the first real trailer for Flipside.
http://www.moddb.com/games/flipside-the-game/videos/flipside-the-game-trailer#imagebox
« Last Edit: June 20, 2010, 02:07:14 pm by kusyo »

ludo

« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2010, 12:21:10 am »
In fact, for that kind of things (a game), you just need to release it. Even a demo or an "alpha", it's OK. Then, people can play it and enjoy it a little. Bring idea and stuff.

But dude, you have here golden in bar : a good story, artwork, a community. There is no way you'll fail on this job.

I just wanted to say : don't feel bad about "You could be bored with my work". We are not. We are just waiting for a little "snack".  And keep us up to date ;)

dg86

• Slave Groupie
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2010, 02:52:46 pm »
Why is it all monochromatic?  Just because the comic is doesn't mean that the game has to be -_-...

Foof

« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2010, 11:38:53 am »
Wow, I really like what you did with the trailer!  As well as the battle system, that doesn't look like the default one.
And you know...I like it Monochrome. It gives it a unique style. And it's a bit easier for you to use the comic images.

thunder storm

« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2010, 04:52:51 pm »
this looks awesome!

Niricko

« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2010, 06:20:59 pm »
I immediately went to the Screen Shots of the game... Its wonderful. Love what you're doing.

One thing though... I had no idea that the first sprite I saw was Crest. Looks like he's got a beard :/ But that can just be me.

thunder storm

« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2010, 06:23:49 pm »
i think it's his shirt/hair that causes the sprite to look like he's got a beard

Niricko

« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2010, 06:32:30 pm »
Actually... I realized its his scarf

Selan

• Heavenly Orgasmic
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2010, 02:21:56 am »
*stumble*

Wow, i never hang out in this section but this looks promising!

kusyo

« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2010, 11:19:19 am »
it's a bit easier for you to use the comic images.
why it Monochrome? like he said. It make everything a bit easier working with the comic in the cutscenes and with the battle layout.

In fact, for that kind of things (a game), you just need to release it. Even a demo or an "alpha", it's OK. Then, people can play it and enjoy it a little. Bring idea and stuff.

I am about ready to release a demo. I just need to add some more sprite and add some more dialog for the npc. I am hoping to get the demo out in the next week or so. but to then here some new in game photos

Churba

• Passion Player
  • The Fresh Prince of Leeds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2010, 12:35:16 am »
why it Monochrome? like he said. It make everything a bit easier working with the comic in the cutscenes and with the battle layout.
I think that it would be pretty cool if you used colour to highlight various important things, like, say, a splash of blood in red, or something.

thunder storm

« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2010, 07:07:11 am »
I think that it would be pretty cool if you used colour to highlight various important things, like, say, a splash of blood in red, or something.

could even have it highlight objects you can interact with, sorta like how in L4D it has a outlined glow around stuff

Zearth

« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2010, 10:32:49 am »
ive done a bunch of games with rpgmaker xp (and eclipse) and yours really looks good. my only suggestion on what we can see is this: is there any way to make the text seem like its in a speech bubble as if you were playing a comic or can you not get into the rpgmaker code and redo that? ive never tried before because they always just suited my games.
other than that making a drawing into 2d is always hard so keep up the good work

kusyo

« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2010, 06:14:36 am »

Well it look like you hit the nail right on the head. That is one of the thing I am doing. :)

ive done a bunch of games with rpgmaker xp (and eclipse) and yours really looks good. my only suggestion on what we can see is this: is there any way to make the text seem like its in a speech bubble as if you were playing a comic or can you not get into the rpgmaker code and redo that? ive never tried before because they always just suited my games.
other than that making a drawing into 2d is always hard so keep up the good work

I been looking for away to do that. If cant find some code more then likely I will do it in the next part of the game (chapter 20 to whatever) I think I can make it work with overlay just like how i am doing the CS but that would take forever to do that but I got a feeling it would be much easier when I have all the NPC, Art, and whatnot done.

By the way next friday (July 9) I will be posting a beta to see if i am right about encoding the game to work on anyone PC. Not everthing will be in it with it just being a test and what not but if anyone want to test the game just let me know. If everything work out with the beta I will post a demo on july 16

Oh ya befor I go. I been getting alot of questions as of late (Not just on here) and so here what i am going to do. I am going to be making a FAQ/Game Diary video here soon. So if you have something you want to know just post it here.

thanks for the support 
« Last Edit: June 30, 2010, 06:18:08 am by kusyo »

Zearth

« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2010, 09:52:18 am »
also i know you want it as a one player rpg, but using eclipse game maker can make it online (if you ever feel so inclined) and there is a huge forum for it that will help with most of your coding problems

kusyo

« Reply #25 on: July 03, 2010, 09:56:34 am »
maybe one day when I have a team of more then 2 but then again i will give it a look and see if anything good pop into my head. thanks for the info.

Dorbo

« Reply #26 on: August 17, 2010, 11:16:04 pm »
You are doing an exellent job, too bad I wasn't here for the beta. Or was I?

kusyo

« Reply #27 on: August 19, 2010, 03:59:03 am »
Thanks man. I am getting ready for beta 2 that have the crafting systems and achievements in it. if you want in on the beta send me a PM with your email and i will send it your way when it go live.

PS: Facebook and twitter
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Flipside-RPG/124900304223887
https://twitter.com/FlipsideRPG
« Last Edit: August 19, 2010, 08:22:40 am by kusyo »

kusyo

« Reply #28 on: August 26, 2010, 10:49:38 am »
Here is a little video show you how the achievement and unlocks going to work.
http://www.moddb.com/games/flipside-the-game/videos/achievement-how-they-will-work

Zearth

« Reply #29 on: August 26, 2010, 12:29:40 pm »
looks pretty good so far, im starting my major on video game design so i hopefully will be able to contribute even more in the near future  :)