Author Topic: Forumite Picture thread  (Read 541659 times)

Churba

• Passion Player
  • The Fresh Prince of Leeds.
    • View Profile
Re: Forumite Picture thread
« Reply #2520 on: July 11, 2012, 12:36:23 am »
Nice pictures both ducky and 'kasha!

Was that M4 modified for single only or did it have both fire modes? And what capacity in that short mag? (Though I'm a firm beliver that the entire M16/M4 series is crap outside controlled environments like a range.)
The mag is going to be Ten rounds, since that's a legal restriction there. And you're half right about the AR pattern rifles, but they can be improved with a little work - it's only right out of the box that they're terrible, and a few simple fixes, they're a great platform.

akashayi

« Reply #2521 on: July 11, 2012, 12:44:52 am »
5 rounds. I enjoy bolt action rifles more, honestly, but there's so much you can do with an ar-15. The stock and lower receiver are mine, but that upper is kind of a cheaper one I was borrowing to break in my lower receiver while waiting to finish an upper for that gun. The magpul ubr stock is so nice. Solid. ._.

Churba

• Passion Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #2522 on: July 11, 2012, 12:57:36 am »
5 rounds. I enjoy bolt action rifles more, honestly, but there's so much you can do with an ar-15. The stock and lower receiver are mine, but that upper is kind of a cheaper one I was borrowing to break in my lower receiver while waiting to finish an upper for that gun. The magpul ubr stock is so nice. Solid. ._.
Oh yeah, 10 rounds or less. Hard to tell from the outside.

As for the ARs, it's true, they're like the Maccano or Lego of guns. Whatever you want out of an AR platform, you can find someone who sells an accessory that does it. Everything from lights and lasers, to non-standard caliber uppers, different stocks, to all sorts of weird and wonderful shit, like the Universal tactical attachment, for when you really just need to attach a gun to your gun to be EXTRA american.

You're very right, though, Magpul make some pretty damned fine stocks.

Also, pictures:

« Last Edit: July 11, 2012, 01:01:54 am by Churba »

ducky_worshiper

• Red Light Worker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2523 on: July 11, 2012, 01:42:41 am »
I actually know next to nothing about guns.  My roomie (the one in the pic) had to give me an overview + gun safety before we went to the range.  I did shoot the rifle twice, but,  screamed both times cuz I'm pretty jumpy about loud noises and I didn't even manage to hit the giant piece of cardboard holding the target.  But I shot it at least!

Churba

• Passion Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #2524 on: July 11, 2012, 01:58:26 am »
I actually know next to nothing about guns.  My roomie (the one in the pic) had to give me an overview + gun safety before we went to the range.  I did shoot the rifle twice, but,  screamed both times cuz I'm pretty jumpy about loud noises and I didn't even manage to hit the giant piece of cardboard holding the target.  But I shot it at least!
It's all good! There are just a few of us here who know stuff about guns and the like, Emp, Oddball, Akasha, myself. Apologies if I'm missing anyone.

Shooting is a bit like shagging. It's okay on your first time that you were scared, screamed a bit, and didn't do so well - you have all the time in the world to try again and get better.

Oddball

• Nymphomaniac!!
  • Me the 13th Duke of Wymbourne are they quite mad!
    • MSN Messenger - oddballsco@hotmail.co.uk
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - oddball24sco
    • View Profile
    • Myspace Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2525 on: July 11, 2012, 02:17:54 am »
Aircraft and Armoured vehicles are more my sort of thing  but yeah can appreciate a good rifle. Out of all the M16/M4 family probably the best of them is the M16A1 chambered for the heavier round instead of the A4 version.  But the SMLE (Short Magazine Lee Enfield) .303 beats them all still considered THE best sniper rifle.
What good is dreaming it if you don't actually do it?.

Churba

• Passion Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #2526 on: July 11, 2012, 03:30:06 am »
Aircraft and Armoured vehicles are more my sort of thing  but yeah can appreciate a good rifle. Out of all the M16/M4 family probably the best of them is the M16A1 chambered for the heavier round instead of the A4 version.  But the SMLE (Short Magazine Lee Enfield) .303 beats them all still considered THE best sniper rifle.
By who? It's been surpassed by a number of other rifles.

Emp_Dragon

• Harem Master
  • Submit to the power of Sam
    • MSN Messenger - erik.arteus@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #2527 on: July 11, 2012, 06:00:18 am »
And my personal favourite to use is probably a local variant of the FN FNC, it's the same calibre as the M16/M4 but a far more reliable interior that's more or less jam-free (if it does jam, it's due to low quality ammo, battered magazine lips or -30C outside temperatures sometimes causing condensation and ice in the magazines and internals when coming out from a reasonably warm vehicle)

I also have a love/hate relashionship with a 7.62mm H&K G3 variant and the 84mm Carl Gustaf recoilless rifle m48...

L0g0s

• Hot Streaker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2528 on: July 12, 2012, 08:10:27 pm »
Okay, so I don't have a picture to add.  Shame on me.  But I have to add two, maybe three comments here. 
First off: Akayashi just jumped in the sexy ranks with the rifle post.  :P
Second: Churba, nice quality photos!

And I guess thirdly.  Add one to the fire arm peoples pool.  Modern AR-15/M-16's don't really deserve the bad rep they've got.   Not my favorite rifles generally speaking, but I do have one.  They have their uses. 

Churba

• Passion Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #2529 on: July 14, 2012, 12:43:39 am »
Second: Churba, nice quality photos!

And I guess thirdly.  Add one to the fire arm peoples pool.  Modern AR-15/M-16's don't really deserve the bad rep they've got.   Not my favorite rifles generally speaking, but I do have one.  They have their uses.
Ta mate - Not my photos, a few of the people in the Brisbane subreddit are great photographers, they took a lot of awesome shots. Mostly when I wasn't paying attention :P

And yes, the AR platform does deserve the bad rep it gets off the shelf - they're a poor design. I mean, venting dirty combustion gas into the chamber and upper receiver? Whose genius fuckin' idea was that?! Urgh. But like I said - It's a great platform, even with just a few simple fixes like a basic piston system and a better ejector(since the standard ejector is pissweak and will jam easily - leading to a stovepipe, and bad times.)

Emp_Dragon

• Harem Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2530 on: July 14, 2012, 12:53:07 am »
I'd say installation of a piston system is quite a major overhaul though, even when nessesary XD

Churba

• Passion Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #2531 on: July 14, 2012, 01:18:56 am »
I'd say installation of a piston system is quite a major overhaul though, even when nessesary XD
It's a bit of work, but it's still pretty simple. Not even a weekend's work.

Emp_Dragon

• Harem Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2532 on: July 14, 2012, 02:12:16 am »
It still a quite fundamental alteration of the weapon's internal workings, so much that I'd hardly considder it the same weapon afterwards

Smiles

• Nymphomaniac!!
  • Easter is gonna be great!Heard he will Rise Again!
    • View Profile
    • AnimeCentral
    • Email
« Reply #2533 on: July 17, 2012, 09:07:17 pm »
tis me!

Just loving it! :-*
let's sit and chat a while and see if I don't make you smile .;)

Emp_Dragon

• Harem Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2534 on: July 17, 2012, 10:25:47 pm »
YAY! out in the countryside?

L0g0s

• Hot Streaker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2535 on: July 22, 2012, 07:19:28 pm »
Saw smiles post and started hummin' the anthem :)

"I mean, venting dirty combustion gas into the chamber and upper receiver? Whose genius fuckin' idea was that?!'- Churba 

Eugne Stoner!  :D  Yeah, I know, you probably knew that already.  Don't get me wrong, I too think it's a stupid idea to be blowing crap back into the action.  And I hate the gas leaking back through the charging handle area into my face too.  But the design works as long as you're not using really dirty powder, like the bureaucrats forced them to do back in the day.  And technically it's slightly more accurate than a piston.  But you know what?  Piston guns are running at accuracy levels barely below that of the dang gas block models, So I agree with you, I'd rather have a piston. They run cooler than the gas version too.  I just don't think it's as bad as some people make it out to be.  But unless you've got me trying to build a precision match model for 1,000 yard shots, I see no reason NOT to have it be a piston gun.   

Churba

• Passion Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #2536 on: July 22, 2012, 08:08:18 pm »
Saw smiles post and started hummin' the anthem :)

"I mean, venting dirty combustion gas into the chamber and upper receiver? Whose genius fuckin' idea was that?!'- Churba 

Eugne Stoner!  :D  Yeah, I know, you probably knew that already.  Don't get me wrong, I too think it's a stupid idea to be blowing crap back into the action.  And I hate the gas leaking back through the charging handle area into my face too.  But the design works as long as you're not using really dirty powder, like the bureaucrats forced them to do back in the day.  And technically it's slightly more accurate than a piston.  But you know what?  Piston guns are running at accuracy levels barely below that of the dang gas block models, So I agree with you, I'd rather have a piston. They run cooler than the gas version too.  I just don't think it's as bad as some people make it out to be.  But unless you've got me trying to build a precision match model for 1,000 yard shots, I see no reason NOT to have it be a piston gun.   
Yes and no - it's Half an MoA at 200 yards. This is not a sniper rifle, you're not going to see big differences till you're well beyond the useful range of the rifle, so it's pretty pointless unless you're building a 1,000+ yard rifle out of one, at which point the question is twofold - can you overcome this with other modifications, and why are you even doing this that doesn't even make sense.

Not using dirty powder, yeah, that's true-ish. It's not going to jam or malfunction as much, but there are two problems with that - First, if you're thinking of it as a combat rifle, then you should be able to pour mud in it, then piss down the bore to clean it, and still have it work first time every time. You might not be able to pick and choose the highest quality ammo, and you don't want to risk malfunction if you can't. If you are - like most - using it for a target or hunting rifle, then that in combination with the weird internal design makes it an enormous pain the arse to clean properly, and you will see more malfunctions over time. Seriously, you bloody near need specialized tools, like jeweler's tools and dental picks to get it properly clean, and even then, it's super irritating.

Now, if I was going to build you a 1,000+ yard rifle, I wouldn't even be going AR platform, or any semi-auto, I'd be going with a nice bolt-action. Simplicity itself.

Emp_Dragon

• Harem Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2537 on: July 23, 2012, 09:22:57 am »
Because if the opfor is at 1000+ yards, and don't use advanced vehicle-mounted thermal sights, then you'll get the first shot every time and if you miss you have plenty of time for follow-up shots before they are even close to beeing in range with anything except 1000+ yard weapons of their own.

Oddball

• Nymphomaniac!!
  • Me the 13th Duke of Wymbourne are they quite mad!
    • MSN Messenger - oddballsco@hotmail.co.uk
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - oddball24sco
    • View Profile
    • Myspace Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2538 on: July 23, 2012, 12:03:26 pm »
Sorry folks calling time on that subject this is for Photos all talk of weapons should really be in the "Flipside Regime" thread.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2012, 12:06:44 pm by Oddball »
What good is dreaming it if you don't actually do it?.

Emp_Dragon

• Harem Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2539 on: July 23, 2012, 12:44:20 pm »
At least unless providing pics XD

L0g0s

• Hot Streaker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2540 on: July 29, 2012, 06:28:06 am »
Okay, finally broke down and have a picture of self to upload.  I'm a solitary person, I don't usually post any pictures of myself online.

Testing out some new equipment for the shop

Emp_Dragon

• Harem Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2541 on: July 29, 2012, 01:24:50 pm »
Nice, Now you don't happen to know how to weld titanium do you?

Smiles

• Nymphomaniac!!
    • View Profile
    • AnimeCentral
    • Email
« Reply #2542 on: July 30, 2012, 12:02:11 am »
nice!

Fire pretty!

here's me at Six Flags Great America:

L0g0s

• Hot Streaker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2543 on: July 30, 2012, 04:23:07 pm »
Foghorn!   :) 

Emp:  Do I know how?  Technically yes, I've been told, and have read about it.  Can I?  Probably not.  I've never tried, and the expense involved means I likely won't be trying anytime soon.  I'm currently outfitting my shop to expand from working with just plain steel to aluminium, cast iron, and brass/bronze.    Currently Stainless, Nickel, Inconel, and Titanium are exotics that I can't do much with. 

Chag4

• Kinky
  • PM of awkwardness
    • View Profile
« Reply #2544 on: August 18, 2012, 01:59:19 pm »
Took a whole bunch of photos yesterday because there aren't too many photos of me from recent years. And since most pictures of me end up looking stupid I took loads so I'd get at least a few nice ones.
So thought I'd post a few just to show you guys what I look like now.
Nothing fancy, just me on a pretty normal day.

Just plodding along.

Pwncho

• Harem Master
  • The bedsheet ghost
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2545 on: August 18, 2012, 02:46:29 pm »
Nothing fancy, just me on a pretty normal day.

Pretty indeed,  Your avatar always made me think you looked more plain i suppose, not stunning as you appear to be ;)

Also i love the layout of your room, the slanted hardwood ceiling is awesome.
Mercury or bust

Kanazaka

• Hot Streaker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2546 on: August 18, 2012, 03:02:36 pm »
Nice pics, Chag!  You are very lovely.

Here are two recent ones of me:

Graduation from Purdue, May 2012:

With my friend Smiles' dad at Duckon 2012:

Smiles

• Nymphomaniac!!
    • View Profile
    • AnimeCentral
    • Email
« Reply #2547 on: August 18, 2012, 07:56:18 pm »
nice pics chag  :-* and matt  :)

i had to lolz at this one:

the first pic said beyonce
« Last Edit: August 18, 2012, 07:58:10 pm by Smiles »

Emp_Dragon

• Harem Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2548 on: August 19, 2012, 03:01:38 am »
You look gorgeous Chag! Matt, do those ducks on your heads stay there in some way? And awsome research Smiles!

ducky_worshiper

• Red Light Worker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2549 on: August 19, 2012, 09:32:31 am »
I suppose I've posted here long enough that I should post a picture that isn't the silhouette of a friend of mine.

The last 2 included as proof that my mother is incapable of taking a picture where I look *at* the camera.  (Bottom one is Easter from last year, my brother to the left and some random guy my parents invited to the right, the middle was taken at some outdoor concert)