Author Topic: Flipside based on?  (Read 5506 times)

Shoni

Flipside based on?
« on: January 23, 2010, 05:39:50 pm »
Hi first of all I just wanna say I loved the comic so far, I found it around... 2am last night sat up till 7am reading I just couldnt stop it was so good! Anyway it hit me it reminded me of some book or game I've read / played before but I couldnt remember what, so if anyone could tell me (preferebly the creator) is Flipside based on a specific book / game or is it just my mind playing tricks on me? And you should really make like a Flipside movie, maybe not long ones but yeah make the comics to short movies would be awsome, I know it's hard I've tried before, hell I cant even draw for the life of me, if someone could give me some tips as to where to start it would be great!

Thanks for the answers in advance.
Shoni.

Brion Foulke

• Administrator
  • Experimental
    • AOL Instant Messenger - flipsider99
    • View Profile
    • www.flipsidecomics.com
    • Email
Re: Flipside based on?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2010, 02:55:18 pm »
Hi.  It's not really based on anything in particular.  A movie is probably not gonna happen, but who needs a movie when you have a comic!

Churba

• Passion Player
  • The Fresh Prince of Leeds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2010, 02:59:04 pm »
[Insert bullshit philosophical ramble about "how a person's works are based on everything they've experienced" here.]

Shoni

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2010, 03:07:48 pm »
Heh have to agree the comic is awsome ^.^ Cant wait for next page! I'm stuck for this! Hehe never happened before ^.^ and I just thought it was familiar but it was probobly the "level" of sorcery etc it's in some RPGs I think? That max "level" of sorcery is three etc.

Foof

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2010, 10:33:37 pm »
[Insert bullshit philosophical ramble about "how a person's works are based on everything they've experienced" here.]

You mean....Brion isn't really a lobster but a nymphomaniac jester?! /joke

Oddball

• Nymphomaniac!!
  • Me the 13th Duke of Wymbourne are they quite mad!
    • MSN Messenger - oddballsco@hotmail.co.uk
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - oddball24sco
    • View Profile
    • Myspace Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2010, 03:13:50 am »
Well it would explain a lot of things  :-\
What good is dreaming it if you don't actually do it?.

RoninAngel

• Eternal Lover
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2010, 06:12:47 am »
Hi first of all I just wanna say I loved the comic so far, I found it around... 2am last night sat up till 7am reading I just couldnt stop it was so good! Anyway it hit me it reminded me of some book or game I've read / played before but I couldnt remember what, so if anyone could tell me (preferebly the creator) is Flipside based on a specific book / game or is it just my mind playing tricks on me? And you should really make like a Flipside movie, maybe not long ones but yeah make the comics to short movies would be awsome, I know it's hard I've tried before, hell I cant even draw for the life of me, if someone could give me some tips as to where to start it would be great!

Thanks for the answers in advance.
Shoni.

It's original. One of the things I like most about this comic. Creative = better. That said, it does follow a fair amount of tropes (conventions of fiction that pop up now and again,) here's it's tvtropes page (geek squee :-[) http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Flipside
Then theres also the whole Shakespearian "There's really 4 only stories," but I think that's bullshit.
I got 99 problems but a nymphomaniac jester girl ain't one.

Hans

• Rose Petal Acolyte
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2010, 10:05:02 am »
That said, it does follow a fair amount of tropes (conventions of fiction that pop up now and again,) here's it's tvtropes page (geek squee :-[) http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Flipside
As the trope site itself says, it's very hard to write a story without tropes. And the result would probably not be very interesting. (Sometimes it feels like ther should be a trope for "Main character has a nose. In the middle of his/her face.") So the statement "This story uses tropes" actually doesn't say very much.

CrystalDragonSpaceMarine

• Eternal Lover
  • Show me your enemies.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2010, 12:16:18 pm »
Hi.  It's not really based on anything in particular.  A movie is probably not gonna happen, but who needs a movie when you have a comic!

A stage musical, on the other hand...

CrystalDragonSpaceMarine

• Eternal Lover
  • Show me your enemies.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2010, 12:17:29 pm »
Then theres also the whole Shakespearian "There's really 4 only stories," but I think that's bullshit.

Actually, there only really one story. The story about a person (sometimes people) and then they try to do something (or a few things).
« Last Edit: January 26, 2010, 12:26:05 pm by CrystalDragonSpaceMarine »

9_6

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2010, 07:02:27 pm »
Hi.  It's not really based on anything in particular.
The last thing I know is reading it is inspired by some hentai manga.

Aiken Frost

« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2010, 11:52:03 pm »
I don't know if Flipside is based in something. What I do know is that Flipside is so friggin' cool that I have created an entire region in my homebrew D&D setting out of it. Actually, the characters are "official" NPCs in my setting.