Author Topic: Movies!  (Read 41552 times)

Brekkjern

• Erotic
  • Le fu-
    • View Profile
    • Brekkjern.net
Re: Movies!
« Reply #90 on: December 22, 2010, 06:23:00 pm »
TRON: Legacy

WAS WIN!

MUSIC WAS WIN!

Blue Dragon

• Slave Groupie
  • Stepping in a Slide Zone...
    • View Profile
    • Cerulean Dreams Graphics
    • Email
« Reply #91 on: December 22, 2010, 11:53:32 pm »
I wanted to see that Scott Pilgrim movie, but haven't had the chance. Looked kinda funny.

I've been into watching movies with Gael Garcia Bernal (uh...his last name is spelled wrong.) He's an AMAZING actor! Most people are probably familiar with The Motorcycle Diaries (excellent) and Y Tu Mama, Tambien, but he's also been in some really weird films like La Mala de Education and The Night Buffalo (forgot how to say it in Spanish. Oops.)

Just watched the new Robin Hood which wasn't too bad. :)

I agree about the Harry Potter movie, it was okay, but not as good as the book. Just not really...I don't know. It's just missing something.

Brekkjern

• Erotic
  • Le fu-
    • View Profile
    • Brekkjern.net
« Reply #92 on: January 11, 2011, 06:59:29 am »
Just saw 2001: A space odyssey.

It was weird...

DruffyB

« Reply #93 on: January 11, 2011, 01:02:03 pm »
Just watched Teenage Hooker Became A Killing MAchine!

So shite it was brilliant!
1 hour long....
15 minute intro
5 minute long dancing sequence
2 minutes of an old woman ranting about people havingsex outside her door!

BRILLIANT!

Brion Foulke

• Administrator
  • Experimental
    • AOL Instant Messenger - flipsider99
    • View Profile
    • www.flipsidecomics.com
    • Email
« Reply #94 on: January 11, 2011, 04:07:25 pm »
Some movies I saw in the theatre recently that I loved:

True Grit: Really *really* good movie, one of the best westerns I've ever seen.  It's by the Coen Brothers, so it's a little different from other westerns.  Jeff Bridges and the girl in it are both really really good.

Black Swan: I liked it a lot.  It's creepy and interesting.

And some movies I netflixed recently that I loved:

After Hours: Wow, I had never heard of this Scorsese movie before, but it was great.  It's completely different from his other movies, it's kind of a surreal black comedy about a guy who gets stuck in Soho NY and has run ins with all sorts of strange people.  Really good movie.

Gran Torino: Glad I caught up with this movie, it's so good.

Paranormal Activity: Hated it, thought the writing was bad and didn't like either of the main characters.  It's well made so I can see how some people might be scared by it if they like the characters, though.

The Wicker Man: (The original) Great dream-like movie with fantastic music.

charles

• Harem Master
  • LAWNMOWER MASACRE
    • MSN Messenger - charles_wilkinson@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • google profile
    • Email
« Reply #95 on: January 12, 2011, 03:58:35 am »
Tangled: Well done all 'round.  A bit reminisant of Shrek movies in some parts.  They did some really excellent work with the hair's uses but it felt like they got a bit lazy about it towards the end.  Actually, most of the end felt like it just slowed down too much or they simply ran out of ideas for a bit of fun and fast moving action amongst all the chatter.  Basically the buildup to the climactic ending was missing buildup and maybe even a climax... you should never skip the climax.  now that I think about it, many of the Shrek movies were much the same with plenty of fun action in the first two thirds and then mellowed out in the end.  But as before it was well done all 'round and the first two thirds of the movie's action and fun made up for it... Also, great story interpretation and expansion on the whole Repunzel tale.

Paprika: Mostly Awesome all-round.  Its one of those in-depth, philosophical movies to a good extent, but it does a beautiful job of dazzling you with the fantastical and not leaving you simply feeling mind-fucked for having watched it  (Donny Darko and Mulholland Drive were good at that).  I'd put watching this one off for ages, not thinking it was worth my time, but it does flips over some of the Studio Ghibli fantasticals like Spirited Away or Howl's Moving Castle.
CLAN OF THE CATS IS MAKING A COMEBACK! JUNE 8th.  BE THERE!

Blue Dragon

• Slave Groupie
  • Stepping in a Slide Zone...
    • View Profile
    • Cerulean Dreams Graphics
    • Email
« Reply #96 on: January 12, 2011, 12:40:47 pm »
^Good one, on Paprika. I loved that film! Same dude did Millenium Actress and "Perfect Blue." Both good films, also.

I'm getting ready to see Black Swan. I'm looking forward to it :)

Oddball

• Nymphomaniac!!
  • Me the 13th Duke of Wymbourne are they quite mad!
    • MSN Messenger - oddballsco@hotmail.co.uk
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - oddball24sco
    • View Profile
    • Myspace Profile
    • Email
« Reply #97 on: January 12, 2011, 01:13:59 pm »
Who decided to cast Nicholas Cage as Edward Woodward's character in the "remake" of The Wicker Man any way?  >:(
What good is dreaming it if you don't actually do it?.

charles

• Harem Master
  • LAWNMOWER MASACRE
    • View Profile
    • google profile
    • Email
« Reply #98 on: January 12, 2011, 01:35:26 pm »
^Good one, on Paprika. I loved that film! Same dude did Millenium Actress and "Perfect Blue." Both good films, also.

Another two films I've put off for ages.  I even have a copy of Millenium Actress!  Right, under your recommendation, I'm going to put some effort into watching them.

Brion Foulke

• Administrator
  • Experimental
    • AOL Instant Messenger - flipsider99
    • View Profile
    • www.flipsidecomics.com
    • Email
« Reply #99 on: January 13, 2011, 11:19:31 pm »
All of Satoshi Kon's movies are fantastic... Perfect Blue, Milenium Actress, Paprika, and Tokyo Grandfathers. It's a real shame that dude is gone.

Black Swan is good, it's not for everyone, though.  It's not even close to as good as The Wrestler, but still a pretty good flick.

DruffyB

« Reply #100 on: January 14, 2011, 12:48:28 pm »
All of Satoshi Kon's movies are fantastic... Perfect Blue, Milenium Actress, Paprika, and Tokyo Grandfathers. It's a real shame that dude is gone.

Yeah first Kon and then Captain Beefheart. Last year sucked! :(

Yeah I've watched all these. I recommend it to anyone!  ;)

charles

• Harem Master
  • LAWNMOWER MASACRE
    • View Profile
    • google profile
    • Email
« Reply #101 on: January 15, 2011, 10:12:32 pm »
Millennium Actress:  *SOB* *SOB* *CRY* IIITS... IIITS SSSSOOOO BEEEUUTIFULLLL BWAAAAAHAHAAHAHAAAA AND SSSOSSOSOSSSOOOO SAAAAAAAAD!!!!

EDIT: Alright, seriously this is a pretty good movie.  not a big action thing or so much fantastical like Paprika in any sense, but its just a wonderful life's love story told in a very interesting way.  The important thing to remember in watching this film is that no matter what is happening you are always being told the love story of the actress' life and a sad but beautiful story it is.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2011, 10:47:45 pm by charles »

Kanazaka

• Hot Streaker
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: February 01, 2011, 02:13:50 pm »
I thought Black Swan was very good.  There were some moments where I thought "Wow, did that really just happen?", because they were so outrageous, but overall the film was very entertaining and well-acted.  I've also recently seen The Fighter (which was excellent) and The King's Speech (solidly good, but it didn't wow me).  Some pundits are saying that the latter might win the Oscar for Best Picture, but I don't think it was that outstanding.  Colin Firth and Geoffrey Rush really anchored the film, though there were some nice moments from the other actors (such as George VI's two young daughters, Margaret and Elizabeth).

Pwncho

• Harem Master
  • The bedsheet ghost
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #103 on: February 01, 2011, 05:04:26 pm »
Think that the last movie I saw in theatres was 'gunless' a long time ago... just watched quick and the dead for like the 8th time though... man i love that movie.
Mercury or bust

Ryuu

• Experimental
  • I like robot ninja chocolate monkeys!
    • MSN Messenger - r_y_u_u@hotmail.co.uk
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #104 on: February 01, 2011, 06:29:42 pm »
i watched 'the girl who leaped through time' a few days ago another amazing film from Studio Ghibly

Flipside desktops, knock yourself out.
now with more pictures!

Kanazaka

• Hot Streaker
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: April 03, 2011, 06:08:42 pm »
I still need to see The Girl Who Leaped Through Time (and Summer Wars, by the same director).  I recently saw Sucker Punch, and it was better than I thought it was going to be (given the terrible reviews).  The plot, dialogue and acting all could have been much better, and the action sequences could have used a bit more "oomph" (and less slow motion and camera tricks, which I'll admit became tedious as the film progressed).  But mostly, it was an entertaining action film with a purpose, though the film's ending doesn't clarify that purpose nearly as well as it should have (despite the clever plot twist).  I give it a C+.

L0g0s

• Hot Streaker
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: April 04, 2011, 01:59:59 pm »
Just finished "The Long Way Round"  which might also be characterized as a mini-series really.  But, I don't go to the movies that often, and all my TV watching is limited to netflix.   (I have to force myself to sit still long enough to watch anything anymore.  My TV time is down to about 2.5 hours a week.) 
Ewan McGregor And Charles Booreman ride motorcycles around the world from London to New York via such lovely places as Siberia.  Wouldn't say it was awesome, but it was entertaining. 

Kanazaka

• Hot Streaker
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: April 30, 2011, 01:53:33 pm »
At the movie theater, I recently saw Hanna, which was pretty good.  It's a bit Bourne-esque, but with a teenage girl assassin (Hanna's friendship with Sophie is particularly effective).  On DVD, I have seen and enjoyed Tokyo Story and Michael Clayton.

L0g0s

• Hot Streaker
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: June 10, 2011, 04:40:05 pm »
Just watched "OldBoy"

Korean flick.  EXCELLENTLY done.  It's a combination comedy/psychological horror/action/thriller flick.  The comedy isn't too heavy though, and I will say straight up, it was a great movie, but it got a little sick and twisted, so if you can't handle a little bit of graphic mutilation and straight up wrongness, stay away. 

Japaka

• Erotic
  • Beard, Blood, Booze and Thunder!
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: June 11, 2011, 05:58:38 pm »
Just saw My Blueberry Nights. I liked it, got a bit "heavy" in some parts, and it's kind of weird, but it still left me with a nice feeling at the end.
When life gives you lemons, make grape juice. Then sit back and let the world wonder how the f**k you did it.

L0g0s

• Hot Streaker
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: June 14, 2011, 07:12:37 pm »
Just saw three in a row. 

X-men: First class.   ehhhh a solid okay.  I'm not puking, I'm not thrilled.  Kevin Bacon wins the movie though for bringing the Bond villain vibe.

Resident Evil: Afterlife
Production value dropped from the previous ones, does very little to drive the plot.  Milla cute as ever.  Had some funny bits.  I liked it, but nothing to really write home about.

M
The groundbreaking 1931 film, featuring Peter Lorre, cinema's first serial killer, and Fritz Lang's first talking picture.
Pleasantly surprised that the film holds up pretty well.  Once again, Lang's a pretty skilled director.   I liked it. 

Kanazaka

• Hot Streaker
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: June 28, 2011, 08:15:12 pm »
Just saw Super 8 earlier today, and for being the "movie of the summer", it was quite underwhelming.  It was very good, but not mind-blowing.  I also saw Kung-Fu Panda 2 recently, which was very good (though the "inner peace" fight move required suspension of disbelief).

For DVDs, I recommend Dan in Real Life, Manderlay, and Changeling.

L0g0s

• Hot Streaker
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: July 01, 2011, 12:57:59 pm »
The Losers

Movie adaptation of the comic book.  I've never read the comic, so, can't comment on that.
As for the movie itself, a solid good time movie.  Is it a thought provoking piece?  No.  Is it high art?  No.  Is it solidly enjoyable and amusing?  Yes.  Good action, and good laughs. 

GO PETUNIAS.

Kanazaka

• Hot Streaker
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: September 17, 2011, 05:16:06 pm »
Well, I've seen a lot of movies recently.  Since I last posted, I saw Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2, Crazy, Stupid, Love and The Help in theaters.  Harry Potter was by far the best of the three.  I also recently got around to seeing The Girl Who Leapt Through Time, and it was excellent.  I also recommend checking out Departures and Mission Impossible III on DVD.

L0g0s

• Hot Streaker
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: October 04, 2011, 07:03:52 pm »
After a lack of movies for awhile, I just saw Disney's "Tangled."

Amusing throughout, and it kept me not only smiling, but laughing.  Which can be hard to do.  The animation, with regards to character expression was *Excellent*.   Sure, background charaters, not so much, but the main cast was very well fleshed out and animated.  A few too many side kicks maybe?  No one stood out enough to top the others, but they were all amusing.  It felt like they maybe didn't know where they were going with the story, but still very much worth a watch.

And it's been years, but I was talking to someone else about the movie today, if you haven't ever seen "Cool Hand Luke", do yourself a favor and find a copy to watch.

"Shakin' tha bush Boss!"

Brekkjern

• Erotic
  • Le fu-
    • View Profile
    • Brekkjern.net
« Reply #115 on: November 01, 2011, 06:59:15 pm »
If you are thinking of going to the theaters soon, do so. Tintin is a masterpiece of a movie. I would highly recommend seeing it.