Author Topic: Movies!  (Read 41557 times)

Kanazaka

• Hot Streaker
    • View Profile
Re: Movies!
« Reply #60 on: May 04, 2010, 07:07:30 pm »
Hate to double post, but I saw Kick-Ass yesterday, and it more than lived up to its title.  You should all see it when you have an opportunity to do so, unless you're very squeamish about bloody violence.  As a bonus, I was the only person in the theater when I saw it, so it was almost like a private screening  ;D.

No.Na.

• Red Light Worker
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Illusionslostone
    • View Profile
    • Deviant art
    • Email
« Reply #61 on: May 11, 2010, 09:32:50 pm »
I really need to see kick ass soon

I saw iron man 2 which was really good I like the shift to action, since the first one was mostly the story of iron man's origins.

I also saw how to train your dragon a while back... like 3 time XD I really liked it a lot.
In the three fates we trust

Kanazaka

• Hot Streaker
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 12, 2010, 08:16:39 pm »
I thought that Iron Man 2 was pretty good, although I didn't really like Justin Hammer.  I actually saw it late last month, but forgot to post.

Oddball

• Nymphomaniac!!
  • Me the 13th Duke of Wymbourne are they quite mad!
    • MSN Messenger - oddballsco@hotmail.co.uk
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - oddball24sco
    • View Profile
    • Myspace Profile
    • Email
« Reply #63 on: June 13, 2010, 07:44:10 am »
Saw Avitar (2D) at a mates house the other week. Thought it was pretty good wound him up by saying it was all right lol
What good is dreaming it if you don't actually do it?.

Eonknight

« Reply #64 on: June 17, 2010, 04:54:39 pm »
Avatar: I sort of agree with Churba about the simplistic screenplay, but it still is a wonderful movie. It's all in the storytelling. If you think about it, a few of Cameron's films had simplistic plots and heavyhanded morals (Abyss, Titanic), but were still great to watch.

Alice: haven't seen it yet, but I'm a fan of Burton. I will concede that he is somewhat of an acquired taste and that all his movies have the same aesthetics.

Imaginarium of Dr Parnassus: Fantastic. Reminded me somewhat of Big Fish.

Iron Man 2: One of the few overall well done Marvel franchises, with X-Men and Spiderman.

Sherlock Holmes: Enjoyed it thoroughly, with all of it's implausibility. Then again, I loved Snatch and Lock, stock...

Kick-Ass: Haven't seen it, but I saw Defendor, and that was such a great movie that I want to let some time pass before I see Kick-ass, to avoid direct comparisons.

Braveheart: I don't know Scottish history all that well, but it was obvious to me that it was "rewritten" for this flick. Still entertaining if you can view it like a "Robin Hood"-type movie.

District 9: Once again, proof that you don't need a gazillion-dollar Hollywood budget to make an excellent movie.

How to train your dragon: Great animated feature. One of the new classics.

So that's my two cents (er... more like eighteen cents, but anyway ::) ) about some of those movies.

Oddball

• Nymphomaniac!!
  • Me the 13th Duke of Wymbourne are they quite mad!
    • MSN Messenger - oddballsco@hotmail.co.uk
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - oddball24sco
    • View Profile
    • Myspace Profile
    • Email
« Reply #65 on: June 18, 2010, 10:05:33 am »
Eon remember this about Braveheart the only thing that happened was the end and even that Wallace never shouted out "Freedom!".  Its all Hollywood Propaganda.
What good is dreaming it if you don't actually do it?.

Eonknight

« Reply #66 on: June 18, 2010, 10:44:28 am »
Duly noted, sir!

At any rate, in Hollywood, never mistake Story and History.  ::)

Zearth

« Reply #67 on: June 20, 2010, 06:14:14 pm »
Avatar: I sort of agree with Churba about the simplistic screenplay, but it still is a wonderful movie. It's all in the storytelling. If you think about it, a few of Cameron's films had simplistic plots and heavyhanded morals (Abyss, Titanic), but were still great to watch.

A lot of people seem to say Avatar wasn't as good of a plot since it copies Pocahontas and Dances with wolves, but what those people fail to realize is that Cameron had the screen play for almost 20 years and just refused to make it into a movie until the technology could make the movie at the level he wanted.

Churba

• Passion Player
  • The Fresh Prince of Leeds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 20, 2010, 06:20:38 pm »

A lot of people seem to say Avatar wasn't as good of a plot since it copies Pocahontas and Dances with wolves, but what those people fail to realize is that Cameron had the screen play for almost 20 years and just refused to make it into a movie until the technology could make the movie at the level he wanted.
If that's twenty years of refinement, he should pay someone who can write a decent fucking movie for him. I don't give a toss if people say "Ooh, it's pocahontas/dances with wolves/the smurfs(not kidding)" because that doesn't matter. It's ham-fisted, Preachy, has all the subtlety of a cannonball, hammers you over the head with the "Consumerisim BAD! Capitalisim BAD! Army BAD! Nature GOOD! Environmentalisim GOOD!" message has holes you can drive a semi truck through, hard-to-like main characters, and characters who are generally about as deep as a puddle of piss on a concrete floor, and whose motivations are so deep and complex that they could easily be replaced by "Err, just because?" and nobody would notice.

Eonknight

« Reply #69 on: June 20, 2010, 08:33:47 pm »

If that's twenty years of refinement, he should pay someone who can write a decent fucking movie for him. I don't give a toss if people say "Ooh, it's pocahontas/dances with wolves/the smurfs(not kidding)" because that doesn't matter. It's ham-fisted, Preachy, has all the subtlety of a cannonball, hammers you over the head with the "Consumerisim BAD! Capitalisim BAD! Army BAD! Nature GOOD! Environmentalisim GOOD!" message has holes you can drive a semi truck through, hard-to-like main characters, and characters who are generally about as deep as a puddle of piss on a concrete floor, and whose motivations are so deep and complex that they could easily be replaced by "Err, just because?" and nobody would notice.

Again I sort of agree, Churba. You're right about the screenplay; it IS preachy, overly simplistic, very unsubtle in it's social criticism, etc. It's like "Ferngully" on steroids (a Don Bluth animated for kids). But I found it was well told and the photography was gorgeous. I guess learned to "block out" the "hammering". I liked Independence Day and Born on the 4th of July, despite the flag-waving. I liked JP Jeunet's take on Alien (Alien: Resurrection) despite a completely half-baked script that reeked of corporate greed. Basically, I mostly watch movies to switch my brain off and have a good time. It takes a very, very bad movie for me to say it "sucked". And the funny thing is it happened just yesterday: I loved Arturo Perez-Reverte's books on Captain Alatriste and I was looking forward to Alatriste, with Viggo Mortensen. You want bad storytelling? That movie is a perfect example of every conceivable "do not" in filmmaking. There is so much stuff crammed into this two hours movie that they can only skim on the main events (that's what happens when you try to fit a half-dozen books or more in a single movie). Therefore, the movie is just a collection of events in the life of Alatriste, with little connection to one another. So there is absolutely no character development, there are holes that could swallow a Boeing 777 and that make the story kind of hard to follow if you don't know the books. I would tell anyone to forget this movie was ever made and to keep with the books. I found that, for all its lacking, this was not the case for Avatar.

To me, Avatar was like Titanic: immature. Sure, they're good entertainment, but certainly not Movie of the Year material, IMHO. Now Defendor, on the other hand...  :P

Zearth

« Reply #70 on: June 20, 2010, 11:11:09 pm »

again, since it was created such a long time ago it was more in the age of people wanting effects and not storyline (which i have come to the conclusion that we are at such a level now that people actually care about story) and i dont think he really re-wrote it much from the time he came up with the storyline

and i was talking to some family friends about it today and i will adbit its very much like fern gully and they are both about the same age haha

Kanazaka

• Hot Streaker
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 22, 2010, 10:38:52 am »
I saw Toy Story 3 not too long ago, and I liked it a lot (especially the bittersweet ending  :)).  It's not quite as good as the first two, but it's still much better than most movies in theaters now -- which tells you a lot about the studio's consistency.

Zearth

« Reply #72 on: July 22, 2010, 05:35:11 pm »
you must be joking! i thought TS3 was far better than 2, and almost as good as 1 (although little can surpass the first in any trilogy)

Kanazaka

• Hot Streaker
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 10, 2010, 12:01:36 pm »
Saw Inception not too long ago, and I agree with a review I read that the film looked very good but was emotionally lacking at points.  Excellent editing and action sequences, though.

Churba

• Passion Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 10, 2010, 01:34:21 pm »
Saw Inception not too long ago, and I agree with a review I read that the film looked very good but was emotionally lacking at points.  Excellent editing and action sequences, though.

RoninAngel

• Eternal Lover
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #75 on: August 10, 2010, 03:02:27 pm »
I want to see Scott Pilgrim vs. the world.
It looks real fun!  :D
I got 99 problems but a nymphomaniac jester girl ain't one.

Zearth

« Reply #76 on: August 11, 2010, 08:13:25 pm »
I want to see Scott Pilgrim vs. the world.
It looks real fun!  :D
the only problem is i hate the lead actor (not to mention can never remember his name) due to his voice and overall acting like a pussy

RoninAngel

• Eternal Lover
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #77 on: August 12, 2010, 06:58:55 am »
I like him for that exact reason.  :-*

I would totally stick it in Micheal Cera's butt!  :-*

Selan

• Heavenly Orgasmic
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 12, 2010, 07:05:15 am »
Oh wow!

Zearth

« Reply #79 on: August 13, 2010, 03:25:45 pm »
Well ill leave you to that as i am a heterosexual (yes, i know, boring :P)

RoninAngel

• Eternal Lover
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #80 on: August 16, 2010, 05:58:17 pm »
Nobody's perfect.  ;)

CrystalDragonSpaceMarine

• Eternal Lover
  • Show me your enemies.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #81 on: August 16, 2010, 10:28:53 pm »
Nobody's perfect.  ;)

Michael Cera is perfect.

Perfectly pathetic. He ruined that movie for me.

Well, the movie wasn't my style that much anyways. Too hipsterish.

Churba

• Passion Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: August 16, 2010, 10:36:57 pm »
Nobody's perfect.  ;)

Michael Cera is perfect.

Perfectly pathetic. He ruined that movie for me.

Well, the movie wasn't my style that much anyways. Too hipsterish.
Well, to be fair, It's EXACTLY his kinda role - Kinda hopeless guy awkwardly going after the girl of his dreams.
Seriously, that's Cera in every movie.

Though, I do think that the Cera-hate is getting a little too trendy-bullshit for my taste, to the point where I've spoken to people who hate him for being a terrible actor, and not funny - without seeing 99% of his output. Usually, they've only seen one movie, or a few episodes of Arrested Development, if anything at all. Nothing against you, CDSM, just as a general comment.

Though, I'd really like you to define hipsterish - From what I've seen and noted as is generally thought to be "Hipster", this movie is damn near the perfect antithesis of it. Big Marketing Machine, Midnight releases, Massive special effects and CGI, Mainstream pop culture references and some really big, well known bands working with it(for example - Beck wrote all of the music for Sex bom-omb, though the actors actually performed it for the movie) for a start. I mean, Fair enough you don't like the movie, it wasn't perfect, but hipsterish it most definitely was not.

CrystalDragonSpaceMarine

• Eternal Lover
  • Show me your enemies.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #83 on: August 17, 2010, 02:10:49 am »
Well, to be fair, It's EXACTLY his kinda role - Kinda hopeless guy awkwardly going after the girl of his dreams.
Seriously, that's Cera in every movie.

Though, I do think that the Cera-hate is getting a little too trendy-bullshit for my taste, to the point where I've spoken to people who hate him for being a terrible actor, and not funny - without seeing 99% of his output. Usually, they've only seen one movie, or a few episodes of Arrested Development, if anything at all. Nothing against you, CDSM, just as a general comment.

Well, I've seen several of his deals, including, on a regrettably bored and forlorn late afternoon-evening, Year One. Of course, I disliked him from the instant I saw him, so I guess I still fall into that mold.

Though, I'd really like you to define hipsterish - From what I've seen and noted as is generally thought to be "Hipster", this movie is damn near the perfect antithesis of it. Big Marketing Machine, Midnight releases, Massive special effects and CGI, Mainstream pop culture references and some really big, well known bands working with it(for example - Beck wrote all of the music for Sex bom-omb, though the actors actually performed it for the movie) for a start. I mean, Fair enough you don't like the movie, it wasn't perfect, but hipsterish it most definitely was not.

Hipsterish is like emo, it means whatever you want it to me in a vague, undefined sense.
It was based on a hipsterish comic book, anyway.

Churba

• Passion Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: August 17, 2010, 02:53:47 am »
Well, I've seen several of his deals, including, on a regrettably bored and forlorn late afternoon-evening, Year One. Of course, I disliked him from the instant I saw him, so I guess I still fall into that mold.
Nah, that's entirely fair. Like I said, it's just the people who do it because it's trendy, they piss me off.

Hipsterish is like emo, it means whatever you want it to me in a vague, undefined sense.
It was based on a hipsterish comic book, anyway.
I don't think that's valid - I mean, yeah, emo - as an example - can mean whatever you want, but it's not like you're going to call the happy, socially and academically successful jock who listens to hip-hop and has no significant personal problems an emo, it's the kid with few friends, listening to My Chemical Romance alone in their room, with the goth-ish clothing, writing shitty poetry about pain and suffering, then scratching themselves for attention and calling it cutting, that who you'd call emo. If you distill down to the shared properties of the people you call Emo, you come to a decent definition.

As for the comic book - Well, it wasn't really hipsterish, again. It lacked everything that one would think of as the properties of a hipster work, other than that it wasn't mainstream, until you consider the medium - In the comic book world, it was VERY mainstream, some seriously hot property. Again, I don't think it's hipsterish, and really, if you apply the definition too broadly, you end up with a useless definition.

It's like the world "Troll" on the internet, now, if you want an example - It's essentially useless and pointless, because where once it was people deliberately fishing for a negative reaction, throwing out bait and dragging it along, and seeing who bites, it's now just generally used on damn near anyone who disagrees with someone, especially if the person being disagreed with is the one holding the majority opinion.

Again - I'm not saying you have to LIKE the movie, I mean, I loved it and even I had my problems with it. However, it really just isn't hipsterish at all.

Zearth

« Reply #85 on: August 17, 2010, 08:46:28 am »
Hipster and Emo really are not the same thing. Hipsters (as far as i have always understood the word) are almost modern day hippies (and this is actually in the dictionary) while emo refers to someone who is overly emotional and all-in-all a cheap imitation of goth.

As for Michael Cera, i've seen him in most of his movies because the movies themselves appeal to teens/young adults but at the same time i cant stand anytime he is the main actor because of the parts he is given and not at all his acting abilities (which although not Leanardo DiCaprio status, are not terrible)

RoninAngel

• Eternal Lover
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #86 on: August 17, 2010, 09:42:25 am »
I love Micheal Cera. I like him so much that I see any movie he's in.  :D
He's adorable and he's a good actor.

As far as the hipster argument, I don't think you can be a hipster without a requisite amount of arrogant elitism.
Cera could play a kid who works at a record store and wears skinny jeans and trucker hats and he still wouldn't come off as a hipster to me. He's too humble. His just too nice! :-*

CrystalDragonSpaceMarine

• Eternal Lover
  • Show me your enemies.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #87 on: August 17, 2010, 02:00:28 pm »
As for the comic book - Well, it wasn't really hipsterish, again. It lacked everything that one would think of as the properties of a hipster work, other than that it wasn't mainstream, until you consider the medium - In the comic book world, it was VERY mainstream, some seriously hot property. Again, I don't think it's hipsterish, and really, if you apply the definition too broadly, you end up with a useless definition.

Well, I heard it said somewhere that it was popular with the hipster crowd, so that person probably didn't know what hipster was either.

RoninAngel

• Eternal Lover
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #88 on: August 17, 2010, 02:39:28 pm »
I love my chemical romance!  :D

I also really like Fall Out Boy. And I LOVE LINKIN PARK SO MUCH IT MAKES ME WANT TO DIE! [holds up hands in devil horns!/]
Do Blink 182 count? How about that My Own Worst Enemy by Lit???  ???

These so-called "hipster" and "emo" bands are some of the only somewhat hard sounding rock and punk bands on the radio. I think a lot of them are really good. I also love a lot of so-called "symphonic" and "goth" metal and I don't care if Evanescence used to be a Christian band or if Within Temptation is foreign.  I love "hipster music", apparently. 

I don't like the crappy fashions of worn by a lot of hipster kids (such as skinny jeans, if I wore those my balls would simultaneously stick out and ride up). I don't hang out at brew pubs. I hate fat tire (although to be fair I hate all beer), dislike going to live shows, I would never be needlessly rude to someone if I worked at a coffee shop, or music store or whatever. I definitely am not in the financial bracket that a lot of the things on "Stuff White People Like" but I still think that site is hilarious. Regardless of weather I can afford all of it, almost everything on that site could either be applied to myself or someone I know. I love Asian Girls, Religions That My Parents Don't Belong To, Dogs and Hummus for instance.  ;)
http://stuffwhitepeoplelike.com/full-list-of-stuff-white-people-like/

I fucking hate the idea that something (especially music) is cooler the more obscure it is, and I although I like Irony, "post-irony" and/or being so sarcastic that you aren't sure whether you are actually not telling the truth is both baffling and nauseating to me.

So am I a hipster?

Many might say yes, even though the folks I hang out with all swear up and down that they hate hipsters and not being anything like them. I think hipster mostly just "liberal white person who seems trendy and you don't like".

EDIT: Also, I am at a loss about what to say about Questionable Content, "the quintessential hipster webcomic" I like the comic okay in general, but I find most of the characters alternately identifiable and fun or hair-pulling-ly annoying. I almost stopped reading it because of all the super-annoying indy-rock references and then they suddenly disappeared. So what the fuck does that say?
« Last Edit: August 17, 2010, 04:02:37 pm by RoninAngel »

Kanazaka

• Hot Streaker
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: November 26, 2010, 08:20:24 am »
OK, it's been a few months, and I've seen a few movies since then.

1.  Scott Pilgrim vs. The World:  Very good, although I don't agree that Scott deserves his ending.

2.  The Social Network:  Well-made, but it's very difficult to care for the characters, or to feel emotionally-attached to the story.  It's a movie I could think deeply about, but I don't feel a great deal for it.  Still, a good movie worth checking out.

3.  Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Part 1:  Also well-made, but rather simple and straightforward upon further reflection.  I enjoyed it very much in the moment, but it didn't stick with me after I left the theater.  It also didn't feel like a Harry Potter film, but rather a fantastical thriller.

Anyone else see any movies?