Author Topic: Ice/Snow Sculptures  (Read 13166 times)

CrystalDragonSpaceMarine

• Eternal Lover
  • Show me your enemies.
    • View Profile
    • Email
Ice/Snow Sculptures
« on: October 06, 2009, 11:48:36 am »
Anyone else think these are just awesome.

It's amazing how much work goes into things like that...only to have them melt away later.

http://snokiss.files.wordpress.com/2009/04/raven-ice-sculpture1.jpg (large picture)

akashayi

Re: Ice/Snow Sculptures
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2009, 12:23:14 pm »
Oh man, I love following the snow festivals in japan because the sculptures that come out of that are always fantastic:
http://www.pinktentacle.com/2009/02/snow-sculptures-at-sapporo-snow-festival-2009/

they can kill me for direct linking later but seriously, japan is doing it better:

The idea of putting that much effort into creating something elaborate and beautiful that is just going to melt fascinates me, personally. The immediate thought is, what's the point? But the laws of entropy being what they are, nothing we build is going to last. What is fragile and short lived forces us to realize that. The same is true in our connections with other people. But creation is still worth it and we should live without regrets. ...so uh, that's enough philosophizing. /cough

Also, snow sculptures are fucking awesome.

CrystalDragonSpaceMarine

• Eternal Lover
  • Show me your enemies.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2009, 01:14:13 pm »

The idea of putting that much effort into creating something elaborate and beautiful that is just going to melt fascinates me, personally. The immediate thought is, what's the point?

It's a very Japanese philosophical ideal, though, isn't it? The idea of great beauty found in something of brief existence? Life the fall of cherry blossoms...or the life of a samurai!

But the laws of entropy being what they are, nothing we build is going to last. What is fragile and short lived forces us to realize that. The same is true in our connections with other people. But creation is still worth it and we should live without regrets. ...so uh, that's enough philosophizing. /cough

Also, snow sculptures are fucking awesome.

Well, theoretically speaking, if we were to push the Earth's orbit a little further out, we could make it so temperature's never rising above zero degrees Celsius, therefore lengthening the duration of ice sculpture existence.

CrystalDragonSpaceMarine

• Eternal Lover
  • Show me your enemies.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2009, 01:52:11 pm »
It's like beautifully decorated cakes.  Magnificent pieces of art that are just going to get eaten later, so what may be the point?

I like ice sculptures.  They're awesome, even if they don't last.  And in a way they're excellent practice material for more permanent sculptures.

And you can always reuse your materials!

But after thinking about it...a lot of arts are transient like that. Think of the work that goes into theatre productions?

Sure, you may do the same play with the same director and actors again and again...but each performance is a little bit different, and when the show run is over...it's gone forever, nothing can replicate it.

Pozf

• Nymphomaniac!!
  • What is a man?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2009, 07:35:13 pm »
Ahh good fun, it's like watching normal sculpting, which is interesting too, but ice sculpting torches, chainsaws, and the rest of the impliments

Good fun
'Science is on the march. Don't get in its way.'

UmberIsSexy

• Erotic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2009, 07:39:37 pm »
Which is why it's good to do/see it while you can!  :D

Edit: Lol, this post is so contradicting to my icon.

Here, I'll help:

Japanese people Obviously only make such elaborate snow sculptures because they're all half-insane, neurotic, and self-hating.  The Prime Minister probably isn't happy with any snow sculpture unless at least ten people died in the making, and ten more committed Seppuku because they couldn't sculpt well enough.  Well, either that, or it should be a tall statue of a woman wearing a short skirt, a woman in a business suit receiving bukkake, or a pre-teen anime girl with huge boobs.

ahem...but anyway yeah I love ice/snow sculptures! :D

akashayi

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2009, 08:32:50 pm »
man, how can you not appreciate something made with freaking chainsaws?

shadowfire

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2009, 08:34:46 pm »
also flamethrowers

Churba

• Passion Player
  • The Fresh Prince of Leeds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2009, 11:03:25 pm »
Japanese people Obviously only make such elaborate snow sculptures because they're all half-insane, neurotic, and self-hating.
My mate fred lived in japan for quite a while, and he puts it this way "Japanese people don't do weird shit all the time, that's just a stereotype. Most people just save that sort of thing for their spare time, it's only the real nutballs that do it all the time."

shadowfire

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2009, 11:05:09 pm »
like the math thing and the blatant racisim towards other asian countries

akashayi

« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2009, 11:05:31 pm »
well, the sculptures I linked were from a snow festival, not from crazed snow-otaku or something.

And fuck, the japanese know how to do festivals.

Pozf

• Nymphomaniac!!
  • What is a man?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2009, 11:41:25 pm »
I miss that show so much. all forms of destruction are better in slow motion.
'Science is on the march. Don't get in its way.'

UmberIsSexy

• Erotic
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2009, 09:16:45 am »
Wait, Umber, what did that thing have to do with my post?

So confuzd.

I thought it was a more grumpy reply to the ice sculpting theme, the first paragraph anyway. Perhaps more in line with what your icon might say?  that's all.

You see, I'm kind of down on Japan.  It's because of a stereotypical image I have, I know, but it's one that I have yet to have disconfirmed, or whatever the proper word would be there.

Rather down on China as well.

I mean it's the societies, not the human beings, right?  but my general opinion of those two societies, and the sorts of attitudes they seem to tend to propagate, is not very high.

But again, ice sculptures are awesome!  (even Japanese ones I suppose)

I think the temporaryness of them just makes me examine them much longer on average compared with most statues that I see (although I usually do look at statues for quite a while too).

Emp_Dragon

• Harem Master
  • Submit to the power of Sam
    • MSN Messenger - erik.arteus@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2009, 11:44:11 am »
Then there's the ice hotel and Ice copy of the globe theatre in northern Sweden

UmberIsSexy

• Erotic
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2009, 10:11:36 am »
I still don't get it.  I put in nothing about any other cultures, and the post of mine you quoted was obviously happy.  It just didn't make any sense to quote me and then tell me something completely unrelated with the idea that it was at all relevant.
ok...you said that your post was out of line with your avatar, or something to that effect.  I was posting something grumpy, which I thought was more in line with your avatar.  It was just something stupid to say, which obviously wasn't very clear.  Shouldn't have quoted you, because I wasn't really replying to you in any way or adding anything relevant to your post.  sorry.