Author Topic: Self Image  (Read 3371 times)

charles

• Harem Master
  • LAWNMOWER MASACRE
    • MSN Messenger - charles_wilkinson@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • google profile
    • Email
Self Image
« on: October 01, 2009, 06:28:20 am »
Beautiful, Slim, Sexy.

The general image that we're ment to strive for in our bodies.

There are people bashing the media like mad for pushing us to impossible standards not only with supermodels that make up less than 0.01% of the population, but air-brushing techniques that hide what makeup can't or trim more off waists than what even the models can manage.  And I fully support that.

But then we have people telling us to be happy with however we are and people accuse them of encouraging unhealthy lifestyles of bad food and lethargy. And I can understand that view to a certain extent where we certainly need to love our bodies but we also need to respect them.

cosmetics tell us we must have the most firm yet soft and line-free skin no matter our age, that our hair should be full with no grey or balding while a beauty spot is a blemish attracting criticisim from the masses that they set the standard too high leaving the entire human race feeling like their nothing but ugly.  Facelifts, botox injections, hair implants, dental surgery and other significant treatments have become almost a norm and for many, it's never enough and they take it to devastating levels.

But at the same time I can understand how we do need to care for our skin to a certain level and that someone who takes the time to applly makeup, shave, moisturise and care for their hair, respects their body and how they present themselves.

Then we've got men getting penis enlargements or devices to assist, breast implants or lifts, peck implants, and much more at the extreme ends of cosmetic surgery to appear the sexiest and this seems to attract the most criticisim.  But I can also believe that there are people out there who undergo these operations with the right attitudes and that provided nothing is taken too far it's not that much different to someone getting a tattoo or piercings.

What are your feelings and comments on the whole debate of self image. The targets that are set, the reasonable expectations people should have, the available diets, exercise programs, cosmetics, surgery and more?

DEBATE! (i.e. discuss and agree or disagree but don't argue)
« Last Edit: October 01, 2009, 02:34:40 pm by charles »
CLAN OF THE CATS IS MAKING A COMEBACK! JUNE 8th.  BE THERE!

CrystalDragonSpaceMarine

• Eternal Lover
  • Show me your enemies.
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Self Image
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2009, 08:17:42 am »
I think people should do whatever they want to get the body they want.

The only reason I would never do it isn't because of some "oh, I'm satisfied with my body" it's because I find the technology unsatisfactory.

I'll get myself a new body when we can build it from the genes up.

Razzly

• Erotic
  • Contrast.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2009, 08:40:38 am »
You can't really debate without arguments...
Winner of Brion Foulke's "cute little panda"-award.
"Mutta rukous on vain mutina tuulessa, ei sitä kukaan kuule..."

Emp_Dragon

• Harem Master
  • Submit to the power of Sam
    • MSN Messenger - erik.arteus@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2009, 09:39:23 am »
I'll say like CDSM, I'll get myself a new body when the technology allows me to build it from scratch, though I don't need any organic parts, except possibly an outer layer for blending in with unimproved humans.

CrystalDragonSpaceMarine

• Eternal Lover
  • Show me your enemies.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2009, 11:18:18 am »
You can't really debate without arguments...

Depends on what kind of argument.

I.e. not the automatic gainsaying of whatever the other person says.

-----------------------------------------

Anyways, the reason I say what I did is because people should do what makes them happy...for themselves, mind you, not for anyone else. If you are fat and it makes you uncomfortable, you don't like getting easily out of breath or lack of mobility or whatever, work out then. etc. etc.

For someone to say "you should accept yourself the way you are" is to kill all ambition for personal improvement. Those people are either bleeding hearts and or too deluded and lazy to improve on themselves. This principle applies to physical appearance the same as anything else in one's life.

charles

• Harem Master
  • LAWNMOWER MASACRE
    • View Profile
    • google profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2009, 02:34:12 pm »
On the other hand we have people with Body Dismorphic Disorder dieting and throwing up past healthy standards (annorexia) or getting excessive plastic surgery (Michael Jackson's a prime example).

These are others who go to extreme lengths but the important factor is that it's never enough and it's never going to be enough, thus they're not really making themselves happy.  On the Flipside I can see that you've got people who do some of these extreme things (massive breast enlargement and strange, excessive plastic surgery) but are perfectly fine as they understand the extend they're going to and it's exactly what they want.

I remember a documentary run by a guy who's objective was to get guys comfortable with their penis' and he found a fellow who was obsessed with making his penis larger.  The guy had a 6 inch penis and it wasn't skinny.  Through intense streatching exercises over months he'd apparently managed to add another inch to it and he was going in for surgery to have fat sucked from his arse and injected into his "member" for even more growth.  As the host predicted, weeks after the surgery the guy still wasn't happy with the size of his penis.

RoninAngel

• Eternal Lover
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2009, 03:09:06 pm »
I am fat. I used to be quite beutyful. It makes me sad.
Also, the media is in buisiness. Outladishly pretty people sell magizines, sell advertisements, sell movie tickets. I think it's a tough call as far where companies need to feel personally resposable to viewers who concoct a crappy body image. I believe in free speech, no exceptions (well almost, there's still the old "Well, does free speech include shoulting "FIRE!" in a crouded theater?" argument which I won't adress here.). On the other hand, I feel less sympathy for media companies becuase then others becuase they are blatent forces of censorship in thier own right; giving gay films more adult ratings so less people can watching them, not reporting news that doesn't support thier political agendas et al. I just think that it is incorrect to say that these images of pretty people are wrong to show becuase I believe that all information has some value, even if the only value it has is to show you how stupid the originator is.

To some up, having a bad body image is defanently a serious problem, but I don't belive censorship is a viable solution.
I also think that if media should have to change their behavior at all, the law should err on the side of truth. No airbrushing in Fashion magazines would be a realativly harmless law, even though I think that artistic freedom is a sacred thing.

Some really, really tough issues here. :-\
I got 99 problems but a nymphomaniac jester girl ain't one.

CrystalDragonSpaceMarine

• Eternal Lover
  • Show me your enemies.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2009, 07:51:04 pm »
Most beauty enhancements always struck me as impractical.

The only fixes to my body I desire have nothing to do with beauty. I'd like new eyes, for one. That's about it.

But most methods of surgery scare me, and like...if I was a woman, no way would I want "implants". Something seems wrong about that. It's like...if they couldn't naturally grow them, I'd be fine.

Then again, I think cybernetic robot arms would be so totally sweet, so maybe I'm a hypocrite.

charles

• Harem Master
  • LAWNMOWER MASACRE
    • View Profile
    • google profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2009, 08:32:52 pm »
Actually thats a good point on the air-brushing. It's a lie.

Now if an advertisement agency presents a before and after image of someone who has apparently gone through a diet or used some special anti-aging cream I think we'd all consider it fraud if the images were digitally altered in any way as it's not a true representation of the product's effects.  Even without digital alterations the before images usually show the person in poor lighting, no makeup with a drooping stance and dull expression while the after photos are taken in good light by a professional photographer after a professional makeup artist has worked their magick and with a bright expression, striking a post or slightly side on.

If I see a picture on a cover magazine of Beyonce it should be just that, Beyonce.  If it's airbrushed then it's not really Beyonce anymore, it's an artist's impression of Beyonce.  Same with posters and much more.

Certainly I can understand some alterations to remove stray hairs or possibly add lighting but they seriously cut chunks out of the side of the model's waists and remove the impression of even the model's already ultra slim tummy from the image to make it appear perfectly flat.  Any suggestion of body hair is removed as are beauty spots and more.  Heck my own company once altered a picture for one of their catalogs which was originally of a stocky woman in her 40's in a bath robe.  They slimmed the entire image and put the face of a young employee in her 20's in the shot, and that was just to sell camping showers, not even the bath robe *lol*

But really, these models and images are supposed to advertise clothing, makeup or other products as they affect a real person but the digital alterations present an unrealistic view of how the clothing or product effects or wears on a subject which could be construed as fraud.

Emp_Dragon

• Harem Master
  • Submit to the power of Sam
    • MSN Messenger - erik.arteus@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2009, 11:05:29 am »
I'd replace the works if I could, not for aesthetic reasons but for longevity and ease of repair, let's face it, a mechanical machine is way easier to repair than an organic one. But the first step would probably be to replace eyes and add an extra set of arms or two, one lower set and one arching over my shoulders, the lower set would have hydraulic clamps instead of hands while the upper would have a modular power-tool socket on one and a welding rig on the other, and of course a powered auto-assist exoskeleton to carry the load and provide a frame for the essential power pack... :P

Ivan

« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2009, 01:37:47 am »
If I see a picture on a cover magazine of Beyonce it should be just that, Beyonce.  If it's airbrushed then it's not really Beyonce anymore, it's an artist's impression of Beyonce.  Same with posters and much more.
I am in agreement with this, and that is a very nice way to put it.