Author Topic: Chapter 20: Discussion (Part 2)  (Read 96337 times)

Pozf

• Nymphomaniac!!
  • What is a man?
    • View Profile
Re: Chapter 20: Discussion (Part 2)
« Reply #60 on: March 21, 2009, 02:55:07 pm »
I was just trying to correct Seick (Sorry if the i and e are suppose to be switched I can't seem to remember with your name), I really try too stay out of politics  :-X
'Science is on the march. Don't get in its way.'

Xshu

« Reply #61 on: March 21, 2009, 03:02:20 pm »
Hey, no problem. I just had to bite that example before it got used. XD

Hans

• Rose Petal Acolyte
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #62 on: March 21, 2009, 03:20:30 pm »
Saying magic is good is like saying super powers are good. Sure there are a ton of people who use their power altruistically, but they're just plain outnumbered by the people who use it selfishly.
There are people with superpowers around?

Look at any fictional superhero world and tell me with a straight face it's in better shape than ours. Inevitably some villain wins the superpower lottery and the world goes to hell while the heroes stop them.
Tell me any fictional world that does not have an inherent conflict for the sake of the story.

The main balance factor I see for magic in the flipside world is it's draining nature. It ensures that a small group of high level magicans can not stand against the masses of low level and non magic users. There seems to already have been some liberation process in Iscariot, because the masses are not suppressed.
So rules on magic use can be set, and a regulative force installed. Unluckily our two abusers are part of this executive.

Xshu

« Reply #63 on: March 21, 2009, 05:24:54 pm »
And what about the Thin Man? He's not low level in the least, and he's causing serious problems.

Brandi

« Reply #64 on: March 21, 2009, 06:09:38 pm »
I think it's neccessary to look carefully at what Bern says here:

"This is why I hate sorcery, because people like you will abuse it."

You have to look at it from Bernadette's perspective; she has spent years perfecting her skill with the sword. It required diligence, dedication and most of all discipline. Suspiria didn't have any of that; she was basically born with this incredible gift to work magic. She never really had to 'work' for it. In that way, the wealth analogy does apply; generally those who have to work to achieve great wealth have a greater respect for what it means than those who just have it given to them. I think Bern sees magic as something that gives tremendous power to someone, yet all too often requires no discipline to attain that power, and whenever you combine power without discipline, you are going to get those who abuse that power.

Now, getting back to Bern being relieved that May has cheated, I still think it means she has done the same. As someone pointed out, this does seem contrary to her whole sense of honor, but there are a couple of points that bear thought. First, she's only human, and humans often do things they feel are wrong. Second, she does like to drink, and even though she has a high tolerance for alcohol, that doesn't mean it can't affect her judgment. I think it's quite possible that Suspiria may have done Bern and May a great service in bringing this all out in the open, even though her intention was to do harm.

charles

• Harem Master
  • LAWNMOWER MASACRE
    • MSN Messenger - charles_wilkinson@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • google profile
    • Email
« Reply #65 on: March 21, 2009, 07:49:53 pm »
I'm suggesting that if they DO misuse it, then they should be banished from accessing the knowledge and resources that the University of Eschelon can provide, unless they redeem or correct themselves

But the problem is that once they know it, they know it. They can cut off their ties to Eschelon's University, but they'll still know how to use magic and they can still abuse it. Even if they can't go up in level, they can still use and learn lots of spells. It's not like taking away someone's gun, or even their bullets. It's like realizing they're abusing their gun, and then just...not letting them buy a bigger one.

....snip...

Sorry, I'm with Bern here.

Well, if we're talking about a serious break of the law or something then obviously more must be done than simply restricting their access to the Universities resources.  I guess abuse of it could be compared to a driver's license in the sense that minor deviations such as speeding and drink driving might simply constitute a loss of license while serious offences such as vehicular homicide/manslaughter would attract jail time.

But granted,  removal of resources and education could be compared to Russia pulling out provision of nuclear education and material to Iran.  They still know what they've already been taught, they just don't have easy access to more materials in the future or further education from those who have already learnt the lessons.

Despite the fact a sorcerer simply needs to meditate to discover the appropriate spells and can work many out by themselves there's still a good deal of research required.  You may need a good understanding of biology to achieve healing and body alterations (such as what the Thin Man does which even Qtalda is incapable of understanding).  There's probably a good deal of knowledge required to enchant items permanently and to case mind altering spells such as nagelring, bloodlust and create potions.

As for Bern's statement. Certainly it might be better for all involved if the Magick could be taken away from the entire world, just like it could be argued that the removal of nuclear capability might be better despite the loss of it's medical and energy benefits.  However, without the ability to remove it completely you're stuck with needing it yourself just like Bern's father Grant realised that the knights could not hope to stand against powerful magicks without using some themselves.  It's be like police with only battons, fighting gangs and criminals with guns.
CLAN OF THE CATS IS MAKING A COMEBACK! JUNE 8th.  BE THERE!

akashayi

« Reply #66 on: March 21, 2009, 08:20:15 pm »
Except sorcery isn't inherently a weapon.  I can understand not teaching dangerous spells to everyone, but ALL SORCERY?  That's like saying nuclear weapons are dangerous, so we shouldn't sell anyone bandages.

Damn straight. Everyone knows  that bandaids are pushed out by the axis of evil... I mean, sorcerers. :P

This is likely going to be a very awkward ride, or Bern and May will walk.

charles

• Harem Master
  • LAWNMOWER MASACRE
    • View Profile
    • google profile
    • Email
« Reply #67 on: March 21, 2009, 09:40:23 pm »
9 pages left in the chapter (and the 4th book for that matter) to 'round things up.  Personally I think it'll end with their arrival in Eschelon.  But I guess you're right and it could be an ending by the camp fire, or something more deadly (what with Mary, Melter and the Thin Man out and about.

I guess the fact that Bern was already planning to walk to Eschelon and the company (possibly including her own beloved Maytag) has become a little sour, could entice her to leave them.

@Brion: page 155 of Book 3 advertised Book 4 as due out in 2010.  Has that date moved forward thanks to a quicker than expected turn-out of pages?

Ged

« Reply #68 on: March 21, 2009, 10:01:39 pm »
I disagree. Why? This is why. Sorcery lets you essentially invent spells on the fly via meditation. Spells are not taught, so weaponized spells cannot be limited. Anyone who wants a dangerous spell need only meditate on it and, bam, Moss gets his horrible torture spells. Magic is not a science equivalent, magic items are a science equivalent. Magic itself is power, and power:

1. Corrupts.

2. Is sought by those who would seek to use it.

Saying magic is good is like saying super powers are good. Sure there are a ton of people who use their power altruistically, but they're just plain outnumbered by the people who use it selfishly. Look at any fictional superhero world and tell me with a straight face it's in better shape than ours. Inevitably some villain wins the superpower lottery and the world goes to hell while the heroes stop them.

Power doesn't corrupt, it just attracts the nutters In any case: sorcery had to be come from somewhere; which kinda suggests you can come across it without being taught. Imagine a world with one sorcerer; he'd be almost like a god. With a few sorcerers they're just more powerful than usual. It's like any power, the more people who have it the less it's worth. The solution to my mind is to teach as many people sorcery as possible so that the forces balance. If the town had been full of magic users BM would just have been a curious oddity entrapped in a sphere of air or something.

Xshu

« Reply #69 on: March 21, 2009, 11:06:04 pm »
Despite the fact a sorcerer simply needs to meditate to discover the appropriate spells and can work many out by themselves there's still a good deal of research required.
We're not given any indication of this. All we're told is that one needs to meditate to find spells within one's self. I'm sure for things like the Thin Man's experiments you'd need some pretty heavy biology knowledge, but if you just want a spell that makes people's hearts explode, you just need to spend a while looking for it as far as we know.

However, without the ability to remove it completely you're stuck with needing it yourself just like Bern's father Grant realised that the knights could not hope to stand against powerful magicks without using some themselves.  It's be like police with only battons, fighting gangs and criminals with guns.
Have to agree with you there. They're stuck with magic now. They made their bed and now they've got to sleep in it, but I still believe they're better off without it.

Power doesn't corrupt, it just attracts the nutters
I disagree. I did already say it's sought by those who would seek to use it, though.

In any case: sorcery had to be come from somewhere; which kinda suggests you can come across it without being taught.
You can. Susperia wasn't taught, she was just spontaneously amazing.

The solution to my mind is to teach as many people sorcery as possible so that the forces balance.
...Wasn't that one of the apocalypse scenarios in Heroes?

CrystalDragonSpaceMarine

• Eternal Lover
  • Show me your enemies.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #70 on: March 21, 2009, 11:22:21 pm »

Everyone can learn sorcery, most people just choose not to. Even people who don't learn sorcery can use magic items. Bern chooses not to use them because she doesn't believe it's right, not the other way around.

She chooses to learn swordplay. That a form of power. Granted, it has nowhere near the strength and utility of magic, but if Bern was of a mind to, she could certainly use her physical fitness and skill to tyrannize people.

Ged

« Reply #71 on: March 21, 2009, 11:33:09 pm »
I disagree. I did already say it's sought by those who would seek to use it, though.

There are people in power who at least seem not to be corrupted though, which suggests that it's something about the person - whether they're nutters, seeking power for power's sake; easily corrupted - rather than the power itself.

...Wasn't that one of the apocalypse scenarios in Heroes?

Dunno, didn't watch it. Since we haven't seen magic on the level of strategic weapons however I think the analogy would be closer to arming people with guns.

Brion Foulke

• Administrator
  • Experimental
    • AOL Instant Messenger - flipsider99
    • View Profile
    • www.flipsidecomics.com
    • Email
« Reply #72 on: March 22, 2009, 12:43:31 am »
@Brion: page 155 of Book 3 advertised Book 4 as due out in 2010.  Has that date moved forward thanks to a quicker than expected turn-out of pages?

I just said 2010 to give myself breathing room.  If it comes out earlier than expected, no one will complain.  If I has said 2009 and it turned out to be 2010, people would complain.  Right now it's looking like it will come out late this year, or early next.  Even after chapter 4 is finished, I won't be able to start printing it until after conventions season anyway.

Admiral Apocolypto

« Reply #73 on: March 22, 2009, 01:40:49 am »
You shouldn't have said that.  Now people are going to see the dates you say and assume that's the "breathing room date," subtract a year, and complain when it's on time.

Pozf

• Nymphomaniac!!
  • What is a man?
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 22, 2009, 01:42:31 am »
if people assume he means earlier than he actually said then it goes past when they expect it is 100% their fault

akashayi

« Reply #75 on: March 22, 2009, 01:44:26 am »
For serious. I'll  just be happy when it comes out.

As long as I can make it to comic-con and harass you properly for it.

Admiral Apocolypto

« Reply #76 on: March 22, 2009, 02:03:03 am »
Pozf, no it isn't, because the argument could be made that he told us to expect it early.

Either way, I see no need to ever buy the book.  I look at the comic online, and thus help generate ad revenue for Brion.  I do my part.

Pozf

• Nymphomaniac!!
  • What is a man?
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 22, 2009, 02:17:58 am »
Yes on this occasion, but if its not stated in a different occasion it doesn't matter. Assuming what someone does based on what they have done in the past (on something like this) is never a safe assumption unless its happened every time, even then it might not be

RickRussellTX

« Reply #78 on: March 22, 2009, 02:18:15 am »
She chooses to learn swordplay. That a form of power. Granted, it has nowhere near the strength and utility of magic, but if Bern was of a mind to, she could certainly use her physical fitness and skill to tyrannize people.

And I imagine if Bernadette saw someone abusing fighting prowess for purely selfish reasons, she'd be just as ready to slap them, or worse.

In any case, I think that the suggestion that Suspira is trying to break up May & Bern, or really trying to enslave May, are misplaced. She's lashing out because of the loss of Kin, and she'll lash out at anyone around her until she comes to terms with it. She has to "prove" that May & Bern are not right for each other to try and prove to herself that she did not really love Kin, although it's becoming increasingly clear that she did love him very much.

And congratulations to Brion for producing yet another comic that satisfied my inner sense of justice.

RR

Hans

• Rose Petal Acolyte
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #79 on: March 22, 2009, 02:48:28 am »
And what about the Thin Man? He's not low level in the least, and he's causing serious problems.
The Thin Man is well hidden and avoids open confrontation. Someone who wants to rule or set laws would have to do that sooner or later.

Enkida

• Collared Pet
    • View Profile
    • Baldur's Gate Portraits
« Reply #80 on: March 22, 2009, 03:51:22 am »
stuff

Wordy McWord.  Seems like there's a lot of Bern hate cycling around the discussion, and I don't really see why.  It's always been clear that she's had a strong sense of justice; makes sense, considering that her life goal was to become a knight.  She never said she hates sorcerers, only that she hates sorcery because of the people who abuse it.  If anything, she most likely hates people who abuse power.  Maytag doesn't do that, so, she doesn't hate Maytag, even if Maytag uses sorcery.  In fact she loves Maytag.  I don't see the conflict.

Bern's answer surprised me, but in a good way.  She was probably trying to blind herself to Maytag's nature, even going so far as to attempt to change it to suit her own needs (hence, the nude posing argument).  I think Suspira forced a more honest answer out of her - that perhaps she's relieved because she didn't manage to change Maytag's personality.  Or maybe I should put it this way, that she didn't manage to change Maytag's personality.  As when Bern herself decided to pass up her chance at Knighthood, that sort of change has to come from the person themselves.  Remember, Maytag specifically got concerned about that decision - she thought that she was forcing Bernadette to give up her dream and didn't want that guilt/responsibility.  And Bern reassured her by confirming that Knighthood wasn't really what she wanted for herself, in the end.  So to that effect, I think Bern's answer shows something that maybe she herself didn't even want to realize:  she may not like what Maytag really does, but she doesn't want Maytag to change just for her, presumably because she loves her.  I think it's actually quite sweet in a traditional sappy romance kind of way.  (That's a compliment, not a critique.  I like sappy romances.)

Of course I could be totally wrong about that, so I guess we have 9 more pages to find out.

2 kids = no more comics, but you can still find me doing BG portraits now and then

charles

• Harem Master
  • LAWNMOWER MASACRE
    • View Profile
    • google profile
    • Email
« Reply #81 on: March 22, 2009, 07:36:33 am »
You know... I don't actually believe it that much myself, but what if magick does corrupt in this world?

Learning magick involves breaking seals in a person's mind which appear to restrict them in some way from accessing and tapping into this potential.  Before gaining her magick, Suspira is described as "shy", "hardworking" and "gracious"... I'm not sure I could have come up with a greater contrast to the Suspira we know now.  Most of the magick users we've met have all been psychos in some form or another, from the over logical Qtalda and Seraph to the highly emotional Noventia and Suspira.

I don't know about the use of magick items, but For some reason the powerful Xibulba collar appeared to remove many inhibitions and general care for others,  but I can't work out why someone would put that characteristic into a collar that also gave you speed and strength improvements.  Maytag's suit just had regular enchantments to keep it clean but what if even those have an unknown side effect?

Bern and the knights appear to be the only ones who generally try to avoid magick, and the only one's who seem to have the vast majority of what us Terrans would deem as normal inhibitions.

Brion Foulke

• Administrator
  • Experimental
    • View Profile
    • www.flipsidecomics.com
    • Email
« Reply #82 on: March 22, 2009, 09:47:36 am »
Pozf, no it isn't, because the argument could be made that he told us to expect it early.

Either way, I see no need to ever buy the book.  I look at the comic online, and thus help generate ad revenue for Brion.  I do my part.

Ok, then I take it back.  Because of you, it'll be 2010.  Happy, now?

Emp_Dragon

• Harem Master
  • Submit to the power of Sam
    • MSN Messenger - erik.arteus@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: March 22, 2009, 10:03:36 am »
There is at least one strategically logical reason to make an item like the Xibulba collar. To disrupt the judicial and policing systems of a city intended for capture or a city/citadel that needs to be neutralized as a threat to be bypassed in pursuit of a strategically more important target.

Xshu

« Reply #84 on: March 22, 2009, 03:09:08 pm »

That's not really a good example, if only because Bern's style of swordplay means she can't fight well unless she's attacked. However, even if she did fight in an offensive style, swordplay can only be used for three things: protecting, attacking, and competing. It can't be used to, say, kidnap a girl and experiment on her until she's a monster. It can't simulate horrible torture that will never kill you, infringe on people's personal privacy, or create monsters that eat and dissolve people. Swordplay is dangerous, but magic is just ridiculously abusable.

There are people in power who at least seem not to be corrupted though, which suggests that it's something about the person - whether they're nutters, seeking power for power's sake; easily corrupted - rather than the power itself.
People in power who seem to be good people may well be good people, and this is because power does not corrupt instantly; it's a gradual process. This is why most Presidencies and similar positions in democratic countries have limited terms. People can be trusted to have power over a country for a few years, but the longer they have it the more likely they are to abuse it. You either die a hero or live long enough to see yourself become a villain.

Since we haven't seen magic on the level of strategic weapons however I think the analogy would be closer to arming people with guns.
True enough. However, I'm not sure how much that helps your case. Giving everyone a gun might seem like a nice way to even the odds on paper, but the criminals pull their guns first. If you own a gun and it's in your pocket, and some guy pulls a gun on you and demands your money, are you going to reach for your gun? You could be shot dead if you do. In the USA most people are allowed to buy guns, but in the end it's still the criminals and the cops who end up using their guns the most.

The Thin Man is well hidden and avoids open confrontation. Someone who wants to rule or set laws would have to do that sooner or later.
I don't think it's safe to say what the Thin Man wants just yet. Regardless, we know he's very powerful and very criminal.

So to that effect, I think Bern's answer shows something that maybe she herself didn't even want to realize:  she may not like what Maytag really does, but she doesn't want Maytag to change just for her, presumably because she loves her.
I like your sentiment, but I just don't see that being the case. If Bern broke up with her last girlfriend for cheating, there must be some kind of deeper reason she's relieved to hear the same thing from May.

charles' stuff
That's what I'm sayin'! Well, probably not about Maytag's suit, but yeah. The more power people have, the more they feel like they can get away with anything. Since the Xibulba collar offered physical enhancements rather than simply magical abilities, it probably made the wearer feel invincible, which would explain why it made the wearer much worse than sorcerers. Power corrupts.

*glares at Admiral*

There is at least one strategically logical reason to make an item like the Xibulba collar.
True, but we don't know about any wars that have ever taken place. At this point, your theory is speculation about speculation. I think a simpler answer would be that whoever made it is just a dick, or that the corrupting nature of the collar is just a side-effect of a normal person becoming so powerful.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2009, 03:11:09 pm by Xshu »

charles

• Harem Master
  • LAWNMOWER MASACRE
    • View Profile
    • google profile
    • Email
« Reply #85 on: March 22, 2009, 04:03:06 pm »

So the release date of the book will be delayed because of someone who won't by the book?

Nah, kidding. Obvious change of statement just to nullify the one thats causing the silly debate.  ::)

@Xshu: The Xibulba collar does actually warp the mind it's self, in a way which is described in one of the books.  It's not just a matter of "I have power so now I feel like being a dick."  Yeah, some arse of a sorcerer actually put that functionality into the collar and I see one of only two possible reasons. 1: as you state, said sorcerer was a dick. 2: It was necessary for the speed/reflex/strength functions to work. It's stated that the mind is a conduit for magick. What if a permanent enchantment, such as that upon the Xibulba collar, gets around the lack of need for a recharge by tapping into the user's mind, even without the user having a broken seal? *shrug*

crazy_razor

• Slave Groupie
  • i feel like i can dream, too.
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
    • Email
« Reply #86 on: March 22, 2009, 07:39:18 pm »

YOU'RE KILLING ME, SMALLS

Brion Foulke

• Administrator
  • Experimental
    • View Profile
    • www.flipsidecomics.com
    • Email
« Reply #87 on: March 22, 2009, 08:51:10 pm »
Relax, I was kidding.  But it may still come out in 2010, and it will have nothing to do with Admiral... it depends on my financial situation.

charles

• Harem Master
  • LAWNMOWER MASACRE
    • View Profile
    • google profile
    • Email
« Reply #88 on: March 22, 2009, 09:17:12 pm »
Will you be taking pre-orders?

Hans

• Rose Petal Acolyte
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #89 on: March 23, 2009, 03:12:26 am »
I don't think it's safe to say what the Thin Man wants just yet. Regardless, we know he's very powerful and very criminal.
Right, but we know that he hides somewhere. Hiding is some sort of avoiding confrontation. For the reasons he does that, we can only speculate about.

There is at least one strategically logical reason to make an item like the Xibulba collar.
True, but we don't know about any wars that have ever taken place. At this point, your theory is speculation about speculation. I think a simpler answer would be that whoever made it is just a dick, or that the corrupting nature of the collar is just a side-effect of a normal person becoming so powerful.
I could think of several reasons for the Xibula making. EG. a tradition where someone has to prove his manhod (or for religious reasons) by hunting down a magically overpowerd persons, or gladiatorial combat between xibulaniacs. But as you said, that's only speculation about speculation.