Author Topic: Chapter 20: Discussion (Part 2)  (Read 96331 times)

Xshu

Re: Chapter 20: Discussion (Part 2)
« Reply #30 on: March 18, 2009, 02:36:19 pm »
Totally called it.
This.

And yes, if she doesn't kick Susperia's ass then I'm expecting a smack, or at least a threat.

UmberIsSexy

• Erotic
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 18, 2009, 03:17:55 pm »
Now its time for Bern to beat that bitch like the dirty rug she is.
hahahaha

Brandi

« Reply #32 on: March 18, 2009, 03:57:24 pm »
just a possibility: Bern may also have cheated?  That's why she's relieved?

I think that is exactly what it means. The only reason I can see for Bern to say she's relieved is because she's been hiding the same thing from May.

Xshu

« Reply #33 on: March 18, 2009, 06:42:09 pm »
Or she knew it all along and she's happy to finally have it out in the open.

Although it is seeming a little more likely she cheated. Why wouldn't she have left May like she did her last girlfriend is she knew? Hmm...

crazy_razor

• Slave Groupie
  • i feel like i can dream, too.
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: March 18, 2009, 07:39:29 pm »
I've been really psyched for this! What an interesting answer from Bernadette.
I knew she isn't stupid or oblivious, I mean I think if your S.O. cheats on you as much as May cheats on Bern .. you'd notice.

Also the art has been really really pretty for these last few pages, I don't know what it is exactly but I think it kind of recalls your old style, Brion. Which I more than approve of.  :D
« Last Edit: March 18, 2009, 07:42:44 pm by crazy_razor »

akashayi

« Reply #35 on: March 18, 2009, 07:42:53 pm »
Come on Bern, get your smackdown on! Kick some magey ass.

RoninAngel

• Eternal Lover
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: March 19, 2009, 12:09:43 pm »
Bring in the kiddy pool filled with chocolate pudding!  :-*
I got 99 problems but a nymphomaniac jester girl ain't one.

akashayi

« Reply #37 on: March 19, 2009, 12:23:53 pm »
No, no, it has to be jello! My money is on Bern still. (Not hard, since Suspiria has no blade to protect her now and is totally drained of her essence.)

charles

• Harem Master
  • LAWNMOWER MASACRE
    • MSN Messenger - charles_wilkinson@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • google profile
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: March 19, 2009, 01:36:11 pm »
I don't think Bern has her blade with her either, but I agree she'll still kick Suspira's arse (or at least I hope she gives her a good slap on the face.

BTW. Is there Custard to go with that jellow or Choc Pud?
CLAN OF THE CATS IS MAKING A COMEBACK! JUNE 8th.  BE THERE!

Pozf

• Nymphomaniac!!
  • What is a man?
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 19, 2009, 01:42:37 pm »
I don't think Bern has her blade with her either, but I agree she'll still kick Suspira's arse (or at least I hope she gives her a good slap on the face.
why wouldn't she carry her swords with her ?
'Science is on the march. Don't get in its way.'

charles

• Harem Master
  • LAWNMOWER MASACRE
    • View Profile
    • google profile
    • Email
« Reply #40 on: March 19, 2009, 01:49:24 pm »
Well, I don't see them.  I'm not saying she hasn't brought them. They're probably on top or in some storage compartment somewhere on the carriage.  I just don't think she has them IN the carriage WITH her. (She also has that great big Duffle bag you might remember and Crest had a bag as well I think.

http://www.flipsidecomics.com/comic.php?i=437

Pozf

• Nymphomaniac!!
  • What is a man?
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 19, 2009, 01:56:05 pm »
Yea but swords aren't something you just put away, they do no good in a duffel bag. Also you don't see the swords in that picture either but she Does pull them out of the sheaths to fight Mary when the fear is removed.

charles

• Harem Master
  • LAWNMOWER MASACRE
    • View Profile
    • google profile
    • Email
« Reply #42 on: March 19, 2009, 02:11:19 pm »
True, Brion is known to forget them at times *lol*. But I'm not trying to Suggest she's put them in her duffle bag. Just that the diffle bag doesn't appear to be in the compartment so it's probably in whatever storage area they're keeping the swords and other supplies such as inside the roof, under seats or that area Glyph is riding on.

*meh* Well see soon enough what Bern's about to pull.  Heck, she may simply ask to be let out, which could be troublesome if they're anywhere near Bloody Mary. (I know Mary's sworn to eat the bad humans, but I wonder where that might leave her grudge with Bern *shrug*)

Kiran

• Cage Dancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 20, 2009, 09:12:21 am »
It was expected.
*slap*
It's first time for me when I'm a bit scarred of Bern's look,especially in 2nd panel.
Bad children were punished.
May and Bern further talk should be rather done privately,not with all this poeple around.

RoninAngel

• Eternal Lover
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #44 on: March 20, 2009, 09:34:51 am »
Darn! No Pudding Fight!  :(

Mmmm... Pudding!  :-*

Oh well, that look makes me think that Suspira learned a valueable lession (at least about how to act while Bernedette is around  ::)).

UmberIsSexy

• Erotic
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 20, 2009, 09:41:29 am »
*bows to charles, who totally called it*

CrystalDragonSpaceMarine

• Eternal Lover
  • Show me your enemies.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #46 on: March 20, 2009, 09:54:21 am »
Bitchslap!

Razzly

• Erotic
  • Contrast.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 20, 2009, 10:31:55 am »
Go Bern, go!

On a different note... Suspiria looks adorable in the last panel. Bitch or not. <3
Winner of Brion Foulke's "cute little panda"-award.
"Mutta rukous on vain mutina tuulessa, ei sitä kukaan kuule..."

UmberIsSexy

• Erotic
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 20, 2009, 12:38:27 pm »
I really like "That goes for you too scumbag!" hahaha

Xshu

« Reply #49 on: March 20, 2009, 02:06:56 pm »
Scary Bern!

And yeah, I gotta agree with Bern on sorcery. Sure it's like the science of Flipside, but the little differences mean a lot here. While it's true that only a sorcerer can make a magic item in the same way only a scientists can (generally) invent anything especially high-tech, being able to build a laser gun doesn't mean you can now fire lasers from your fingertips. It's just too much power for one individual to have, especially when (as far as we know) there's no way to take it away from them.

Admiral Apocolypto

« Reply #50 on: March 20, 2009, 02:13:11 pm »
Bern, I wish I could say you disappointed me, but I expected something like this.  And no, Xshu, it's the same concept.  Being against all sorcery because some misuse it is a horrible generalization.

charles

• Harem Master
  • LAWNMOWER MASACRE
    • View Profile
    • google profile
    • Email
« Reply #51 on: March 20, 2009, 05:45:54 pm »
Yeah, the whole "with great power comes great responsibility" philosophy needs to be taught to these kids.  Sure enough some of them probably do respect it, but from what I've seen through the comic so far there's way to few.  It needs to be part of the first lessons at Eschelon to make sure they understand that their power can easily be abused but to sell the respect of the public towards sorcery, it must not be.

I think Bern's hit the nail on the head.  This is why the knights are able to exist, not because they are able to offer better protection but because there are plenty of sorcerers out there who abuse the power and that sets the people against them all.

dg86

• Slave Groupie
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 20, 2009, 06:29:16 pm »
Who the heck cares?  Sorcery there is like wealth over here on planet Earth.  A lot of people abuse it, but there are a hell of a lot of good people that are extremely wealthy. 

Bern reminds me of a sort of Jane Six Pack on that page.  If she could use sorcery, she'd probably put it to good use, yet she hates it.  Why?  Probably because she herself can't use it.

Seriously, she and her jealousy and uppity sense of justice are getting on my nerves pretty quickly.  Bitch needs to learn that not everyone in the world is an uptight moral goody two-shoes like her.

Though at the same time, both Suspiria and Glyph (Glyph especially) *did* let it all go to their heads.  Suspiria could probably be a hell of a lot more powerful if she learned some self-control with her power and didn't just burn right through each and every bit of it at every possible opportunity.

charles

• Harem Master
  • LAWNMOWER MASACRE
    • View Profile
    • google profile
    • Email
« Reply #53 on: March 20, 2009, 06:46:29 pm »
The big difference is that Sorcery is something that is taught and passed on to pupils.  Thus it should be no issue to include education on it's appropriate use and even refusal by the University at Eschelon to teach or provide resources to those who abuse it.

Granted you'll STILL get some slip through the cracks but they should at least make an effort to seal and tighten as many cracks as is reasonable.  Like her father however, Bern's acceptance of the sword shows that she is possibly coming around to the idea that the user and not the magick it's self are to blame for it's misuse and that throwing away it's use so we're only left with those who would abuse it, is probably not the best solution.  Thats like blaming guns and banning their use by everyone, including the police and security forces until only criminals are left with 'em.

Admiral Apocolypto

« Reply #54 on: March 20, 2009, 07:10:20 pm »
Do you really think anyone has the right to limit someone's potential because of the chance they might misuse it?  What an awful line of reasoning.

charles

• Harem Master
  • LAWNMOWER MASACRE
    • View Profile
    • google profile
    • Email
« Reply #55 on: March 21, 2009, 03:02:14 am »
Well, it could be argued that terrorists have limited potential because they don't have easy access to nuke weapons.  But I'm not gonna suggest they should be given it, 'cos that would also be an awful line of reasoning   ;)

I didn't say restrict if there's a CHANCE they might misuse it.  I'm suggesting that if they DO misuse it, then they should be banished from accessing the knowledge and resources that the University of Eschelon can provide, unless they redeem or correct themselves.  However, as one might be expected to undergo a safety course before being granted the license for a weapon, or a test before being granted a license to drive the first lessons a sorcerer should be taught is the RESPONSIBLE use of their gift/power and refusal to take that lesson or show an understanding of it, should possibly be grounds for refusal to provide resources and knowledge to further their arts.

Granted, just as someone without a gun license may come about one illegally and someone without a driver's license may learn to drive a car, a sorcerer may learn to break their seals and/or cast certain spells, all on their own.  But they should not be provided the means by the university until they've learnt the lessons regarding responsiblility for that power or shown they understand them.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2009, 03:04:34 am by charles »

RoninAngel

• Eternal Lover
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #56 on: March 21, 2009, 09:33:55 am »
I think it's funny that Bernedette hates sorcery, but blatenly inores that her own girlfreind is a magic user. Maytag may not be a wizard, but she uses magic items all the time.  ::)

Admiral Apocolypto

« Reply #57 on: March 21, 2009, 12:22:28 pm »
Except sorcery isn't inherently a weapon.  I can understand not teaching dangerous spells to everyone, but ALL SORCERY?  That's like saying nuclear weapons are dangerous, so we shouldn't sell anyone bandages.

Pozf

• Nymphomaniac!!
  • What is a man?
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 21, 2009, 02:03:01 pm »
No... thats a horrible connection they should be somewhat related. How about... Nuclear weapons are dangerous, so we shouldn't use radiation to try and cure cancer.

Xshu

« Reply #59 on: March 21, 2009, 02:41:23 pm »
And no, Xshu, it's the same concept.  Being against all sorcery because some misuse it is a horrible generalization.
I disagree. Why? This is why. Sorcery lets you essentially invent spells on the fly via meditation. Spells are not taught, so weaponized spells cannot be limited. Anyone who wants a dangerous spell need only meditate on it and, bam, Moss gets his horrible torture spells. Magic is not a science equivalent, magic items are a science equivalent. Magic itself is power, and power:

1. Corrupts.

2. Is sought by those who would seek to use it.

Saying magic is good is like saying super powers are good. Sure there are a ton of people who use their power altruistically, but they're just plain outnumbered by the people who use it selfishly. Look at any fictional superhero world and tell me with a straight face it's in better shape than ours. Inevitably some villain wins the superpower lottery and the world goes to hell while the heroes stop them.

Who the heck cares?  Sorcery there is like wealth over here on planet Earth.  A lot of people abuse it, but there are a hell of a lot of good people that are extremely wealthy.

Wow, using the wealthy as an example for power being good? A gutsy move. True enough, but like I said, there are just plain more villains than heroes.

If she could use sorcery, she'd probably put it to good use, yet she hates it.  Why?  Probably because she herself can't use it.
Everyone can learn sorcery, most people just choose not to. Even people who don't learn sorcery can use magic items. Bern chooses not to use them because she doesn't believe it's right, not the other way around.

Do you really think anyone has the right to limit someone's potential because of the chance they might misuse it? 
God. Yes.

I'm suggesting that if they DO misuse it, then they should be banished from accessing the knowledge and resources that the University of Eschelon can provide, unless they redeem or correct themselves

But the problem is that once they know it, they know it. They can cut off their ties to Eschelon's University, but they'll still know how to use magic and they can still abuse it. Even if they can't go up in level, they can still use and learn lots of spells. It's not like taking away someone's gun, or even their bullets. It's like realizing they're abusing their gun, and then just...not letting them buy a bigger one.

Except sorcery isn't inherently a weapon.  I can understand not teaching dangerous spells to everyone, but ALL SORCERY?  That's like saying nuclear weapons are dangerous, so we shouldn't sell anyone bandages.

No, it isn't. Because of the method by which sorcerers can spontaneously generate their own spells, it's more like there's only one branch of science, and people can use it to do anything they want. So it's more nothing like science.

No... thats a horrible connection they should be somewhat related. How about... Nuclear weapons are dangerous, so we shouldn't use radiation to try and cure cancer.
A better example, but still flawed. It's as if there was only kind of radioactive machine, and it had the settings "nuke" and "cure". Now hand them out to everyone who "really wants to cure" and spends years learning to do it. Eventually some of them are going to go haywire, and then "oh fuck", you need to hunt them down. By the time you do, how many people have died? With all we've seen, is sorcery doing more good or bad? For every person we've seen healed by sorcery, even counting potions, we've seen a dozen killed. Now we have an honest-to-god supervillain on our hands pumping out monsters created by sorcery.

Sorry, I'm with Bern here.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2009, 03:01:41 pm by Xshu »