Author Topic: Chapter 20: Discussion (Part 2)  (Read 96415 times)

Xshu

Re: Chapter 20: Discussion (Part 2)
« Reply #90 on: March 23, 2009, 11:01:23 am »
DUN DUN DUUUN. Called it!

So she knew. Crazy crazy. So...like...what? Why didn't she...like...what was she...

WTF!? I called it, but I still don't get it.

RoninAngel

• Eternal Lover
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #91 on: March 23, 2009, 11:03:48 am »
AHHHHH!  :D  :-*  :-[

Thats... SO CUTE!

Bernedette and Maytag are Back Together! Bernedette and Magtag are Back Together!
Bernedette and Maytag are Back TOGETHER! YAY!  :D  :-* :-[

What? they weren't ever broken up? Awkward.  :'(

But still... YAY!  :-*
I got 99 problems but a nymphomaniac jester girl ain't one.

Kiran

• Cage Dancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: March 23, 2009, 11:15:45 am »
Cute moment...
Bern is the best ^^

Xshu

« Reply #93 on: March 23, 2009, 11:20:26 am »
Isn't it cute? I still don't understand why the hell it's happening, but it's so cute!

Pozf

• Nymphomaniac!!
  • What is a man?
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: March 23, 2009, 11:35:33 am »
Happy happy joy joy?

Edit: I find it HILARIOUS that Bern's face looks completely round in row 2 picture 2  ;D
« Last Edit: March 23, 2009, 11:39:02 am by Pozf »
'Science is on the march. Don't get in its way.'

Razzly

• Erotic
  • Contrast.
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: March 23, 2009, 12:21:57 pm »
One word.

AWWWW!
Winner of Brion Foulke's "cute little panda"-award.
"Mutta rukous on vain mutina tuulessa, ei sitä kukaan kuule..."

akashayi

« Reply #96 on: March 23, 2009, 12:45:55 pm »
Of Course.

And now that everyone's happy, it's time to go kick some ass! ./cues epic bad 80s rock music.

rachel12

« Reply #97 on: March 23, 2009, 01:44:11 pm »
9 pages left in the chapter (and the 4th book for that matter) to 'round things up.  Personally I think it'll end with their arrival in Eschelon.  But I guess you're right and it could be an ending by the camp fire, or something more deadly (what with Mary, Melter and the Thin Man out and about.

I guess the fact that Bern was already planning to walk to Eschelon and the company (possibly including her own beloved Maytag) has become a little sour, could entice her to leave them.

@Brion: page 155 of Book 3 advertised Book 4 as due out in 2010.  Has that date moved forward thanks to a quicker than expected turn-out of pages?

Well, though Suspiria did save Bern's life, she asked that Maytag become her slave. (can you even imagine Maytag or Bern asking payment of anything for saving someone's life?) Got Maytag to pose nude, tried to drive a wedge between May and Bern, got the one person she loved killed. Failed at stopping Mary, tried to have Maytag as her slave again, put a spell on both of them against their will. And of course the pervert driver. I'm with Bern's idea, I'll walk to.

crazy_razor

• Slave Groupie
  • i feel like i can dream, too.
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
    • Email
« Reply #98 on: March 23, 2009, 02:06:57 pm »
Damn Maytag, girl you dumb.
(and aaaah, I love Bern, she's so pretty <3)

There was totally foreshadowing of this (as Brion tends and loves to do) I think way back (in Book 0????) where Bern says something like "if there's conflict in what lovers want i think the relationship is doomed from the beginning" (I probably am getting that totally wrong.), and again where they are around the campfire on the way to Brahma and Bern gives May this like, knowing look ... and again when Bern says something like "3 years ... look how far we've come".

Rad.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2009, 02:12:24 pm by crazy_razor »

UmberIsSexy

• Erotic
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: March 23, 2009, 02:27:45 pm »
Bern says something like "if there's conflict in what lovers want i think the relationship is doomed from the beginning"

but if she did say something like that, what does it all mean, in light of her current reaction?  ???  Does it just mean that she realized that, although May was cheating, she knew that May still wanted the same thing as what Bern wanted?  (that thing presumably being the love they shared?)

crazy_razor

• Slave Groupie
  • i feel like i can dream, too.
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
    • Email
« Reply #100 on: March 23, 2009, 02:30:00 pm »
Bern says something like "if there's conflict in what lovers want i think the relationship is doomed from the beginning"

but if she did say something like that, what does it all mean, in light of her current reaction?  ???  Does it just mean that she realized that, although May was cheating, she knew that May still wanted the same thing as what Bern wanted?  (that thing presumably being the love they shared?)

I guess it's because even though she's been aware of what's going on this whole time, she deals with it anyway, because she loves May and just wants to be with her.

Happens all the time in far more unbalanced relationships than theirs, like girls who stay with abusive boyfriends and the like.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2009, 02:38:40 pm by crazy_razor »

charles

• Harem Master
  • LAWNMOWER MASACRE
    • MSN Messenger - charles_wilkinson@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • google profile
    • Email
« Reply #101 on: March 23, 2009, 03:41:43 pm »
 :o

...nuff said.

WOW Brion! Good work.  Surprised the majority of us I think.  Damn, we're all gonna be sifting through the archives now to find all the hints we missed on Bern's knowledge of Maytag's fidelity.  I guess there's more to learn now as to how she knew, why she kept it secret (and how in the case of a poker player) and why she's remained with Maytag despite it.

Best I got, is she felt guilty for never commiting to Maytag openly so she never felt bad about Maytag not commiting to her.

But the fact that Bern has pulled a fast one over her all this time as Maytag's sat back and thought she was pulling the fast ones is just classic!
CLAN OF THE CATS IS MAKING A COMEBACK! JUNE 8th.  BE THERE!

Admiral Apocolypto

« Reply #102 on: March 23, 2009, 04:45:29 pm »
Pretty sneaky, Bern!
Damn, we're all gonna be sifting through the archives now to find all the hints we missed on Bern's knowledge of Maytag's infidelity.
Nah.

Oddball

• Nymphomaniac!!
  • Me the 13th Duke of Wymbourne are they quite mad!
    • MSN Messenger - oddballsco@hotmail.co.uk
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - oddball24sco
    • View Profile
    • Myspace Profile
    • Email
« Reply #103 on: March 23, 2009, 04:57:58 pm »
Why? if Bern knew about it all this time why bother dredge through the archives.
What good is dreaming it if you don't actually do it?.

Brion Foulke

• Administrator
  • Experimental
    • AOL Instant Messenger - flipsider99
    • View Profile
    • www.flipsidecomics.com
    • Email
« Reply #104 on: March 23, 2009, 05:16:47 pm »
Why? if Bern knew about it all this time why bother dredge through the archives.

Because it makes my traffic go up...?

Admiral Apocolypto

« Reply #105 on: March 23, 2009, 05:21:40 pm »
Yeah, but people are just going to go and see connections that are simply coincidence.

charles

• Harem Master
  • LAWNMOWER MASACRE
    • View Profile
    • google profile
    • Email
« Reply #106 on: March 23, 2009, 06:27:33 pm »
There were dozens of hints we missed that Maytag and Bern were in a relationship (ok, so not everyone missed them. A good many had guessed by the time they had been revealed). So I'm simply wondering what hints we've missed from Bern that suggests she knew about Maytag cheating on her.

It's possible that Maytag may have told her about how she broke up with Xenfa and Bern simply guessed that the same was going on between them, but was able to tolerate it while she remained discrete. (Sorry for those who don't own the books and have no clue who Xenfa is. She sort of referred to him here). But looking at the mention that Bern broke up with Clairen because of cheating here you'd think she wouldn't be that tolerant (although they didn't specify that it was Clairen who cheated, but it's a good bet).  There's this little speech to Orrasong that may have hinted at her having developed a greater understanding for differences.

But without going into Book 0 for hints I think this sequence where she tells Crest the story of how they met is our best bet.  Right there, Maytag tells her exactly how it's going to happen, how she'll be fooled into thinking Maytag's wonderful but eventually believer, like everyone else, that she's nothing but scum... And Bern accepts it and pushes ahead anyway.

Admiral Apocolypto

« Reply #107 on: March 23, 2009, 07:58:18 pm »
Xenfa's the guy who called her scum, right?  Which is why it hit so hard when Crest did it.  Wish I thought've saving that side story when it was still on the site >_>

charles

• Harem Master
  • LAWNMOWER MASACRE
    • View Profile
    • google profile
    • Email
« Reply #108 on: March 23, 2009, 08:03:58 pm »
Yep.  The side story is about their breakup.  But I just remembered that there was a second story which is still online, about how he and Maytag met:

http://www.flipsidecomics.com/comic/misc/fsSStitl.html

Admiral Apocolypto

« Reply #109 on: March 23, 2009, 08:33:39 pm »
Yeah, I was referring to their breakup.  But what I meant before was just because something earlier fits with the current story doesn't mean it was meant as a hint, or that Brion knew this would happen so far in advance.  Maybe he did, maybe he didn't, but aside from going "called it" (if you noticed it beforehand), looking for what you missed seems rather useless.

charles

• Harem Master
  • LAWNMOWER MASACRE
    • View Profile
    • google profile
    • Email
« Reply #110 on: March 23, 2009, 08:47:33 pm »
*shrug*, he usually seems to plan pretty pretty far ahead: http://forum.failureverification.net/showthread.php?t=403

As for looking for what we missed.  Heck, it's fun to see all the hints and just how well Brion has been shaping events around the fact that Bern has presumably known all along.  In many cases, actions and comments that may not have made sense previously or only had a simple, shallow meaning, suddenly take on a much deeper and surprising one.  Plus, you can sometimes discover new truths about events and characters, such as Shepherd's erase of Derrick's mind when we discovered that the Phalanx didn't posess that level of control over the brain, and the fact the Thin Man is known to have this ability/knowledge.

Granted, Bern's statement of knowing Maytag's sexual frolics might not reveal anything that interesting, but *shrug*.  It does make you wonder a bit about all those statements by Bern about honesty, in bed with Maytag, outside the knights palace/castle after coming out of the closet and at the camp fire with Crest.  But maybe she just remembered what Maytag had told her on the bridge each time.

It'll actually be interesting to find out why Bern hid the knowledge from Maytag and how Maytag might react to the fact that Bern has let her believe she was getting away with it all this time.

RickRussellTX

« Reply #111 on: March 23, 2009, 09:59:56 pm »
Bern's statement of knowing Maytag's sexual frolics might not reveal anything that interesting, but *shrug*.

I don't think Bernadette needs to know of any specific incident -- isn't it enough to know Maytag's character and history?

Bernadette may have realized that Maytag's own intense self-doubt would lead her to seek sexual intimacy with others, simply so she could have a reason to give up on their relationship later.

If Bernadette brings it up first, what kind of example does that set? As soon as you have a problem, I'm gonna jump down your throat? As Einstein said, "The example of great and pure individuals is the only thing that can lead us to noble thoughts and deeds."

RR

Xshu

« Reply #112 on: March 23, 2009, 11:03:41 pm »
But what I meant before was just because something earlier fits with the current story doesn't mean it was meant as a hint, or that Brion knew this would happen so far in advance.
Well, we could ask him.

Hey Brion, did you drop any hints that Bern knew? Was this planned far in advance?

Brion Foulke

• Administrator
  • Experimental
    • View Profile
    • www.flipsidecomics.com
    • Email
« Reply #113 on: March 24, 2009, 05:42:22 am »
Yep, it sure was!

RoninAngel

• Eternal Lover
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #114 on: March 24, 2009, 11:12:32 am »
I think it's awsome. We can all stop worrying about Bern and May staying together and look ahead to the developing story line (and maby some more random fanservice  :-[).
I got 99 problems but a nymphomaniac jester girl ain't one.

Admiral Apocolypto

« Reply #115 on: March 24, 2009, 01:56:32 pm »
(shakes head in shame at Ronin's post)

Oddball

• Nymphomaniac!!
  • Me the 13th Duke of Wymbourne are they quite mad!
    • MSN Messenger - oddballsco@hotmail.co.uk
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - oddball24sco
    • View Profile
    • Myspace Profile
    • Email
« Reply #116 on: March 24, 2009, 03:50:45 pm »
ok we've hadd the soppy stuff let the killing begin! ok ok need to come off the tripple strength coffee in the near future.
What good is dreaming it if you don't actually do it?.

Brion Foulke

• Administrator
  • Experimental
    • View Profile
    • www.flipsidecomics.com
    • Email
« Reply #117 on: March 24, 2009, 04:54:17 pm »
(shakes head in shame at Ronin's post)
Seriously.

...isn't it Wednesday yet?  No?  Bah.  Feels like Wednesday.
It just occurred to me that Bern's black suit is all black.  Uh... solid black.  Have you ever considered adding some mild tinting to indicate mass with it?  I'm not sure how it would look, but it'd be interesting to try anyway.
(I notice it and am reminded of how 'the other comic' that I read has a few characters who are or are wearing black, and that the artist has complained about his markers dying because of it.  Someone pointed out that he's really wasting his markers because even black has its definitions.  It's not quite the case here, as you are using a digital program, and your shading is good, but I wanted to mention it anyway.)

Also, Bern is pretty awesome.

Well, I'm not wasting any markers.  But yes, of course added shading would of course be better.  However, recently I've mainly been relying on cross-hatching for shading, and using tones just for certain panels.  It's quicker and I also think it looks good in a more basic way.  But yes, it's something to consider.

charles

• Harem Master
  • LAWNMOWER MASACRE
    • View Profile
    • google profile
    • Email
« Reply #118 on: March 24, 2009, 07:31:26 pm »
The only further hints I can come up with are:

The few occasions that Bern has suddenly appeared in Maytag's defence.  Hard to imagine that she simply appears at the right time and place so I get the impression that she might have followed Maytag on occasion. This includes the rescue at THE ASYLUM and the rescue from Voulger.

The Conversation Maytag had with Moss and Regina at the camp headed for their Disolving test.  Bern was in a tent and may have heard the conversation.  The next day, Bern and May get in a huge fight but make up after their fight with the maw.

LordKaT

« Reply #119 on: March 24, 2009, 07:50:15 pm »
I think we all know the real answer here: Bernadette reads the comic.