Author Topic: Bad Teachers  (Read 3450 times)

Pozf

• Nymphomaniac!!
  • What is a man?
    • View Profile
Bad Teachers
« on: March 17, 2009, 08:40:33 am »
Ok so we've all had them That teacher. The one that makes you want to pull your (or their) hair out for one reason of another.

We all know that a good teacher can be the difference between passing and failing... unfortunately so are bad teachers. I currently have a professor, and the same one last semester, that really doesn't deserve to teach. Now its not that she can't teach, she can when shes putting notes on the board and explaining them... but that's the only aspect I've seen that qualifies her to teach. But when she is doing the problems on the board she is terrible, and that is what we do everyday for the large percentage of the class. For example, and she does this Multiple times per class, she will be doing a problem then say "and you just plug this equation over here *waves hand around at an area with about 10 different equations that could be used* over here *actually points to where the equation belongs*." Now I'm taking Calculus one and it is a hard course, but if I had, had a better teacher, even just a mediocre one, I would have passed easily. (I could keep going but I get annoyed just thinking about this).

The whole point of this really is what do you think they should do to teachers like this, High fail rate, and the only people who seem to pass are people who get A's on Everything, the extremely good students, and even they will only get mid to low B's from the teacher.

To teachers like this I really want to say just fire the person, but most of the times these teachers have tenor (I am probably spelling that the wrong way) and can't be fired. So I think they should be put on leave for a time, where they are sent to mandatory teaching courses, lest they want to lose their job.

Discuss?
« Last Edit: March 17, 2009, 09:59:06 am by Pozf »
'Science is on the march. Don't get in its way.'

RoninAngel

• Eternal Lover
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Bad Teachers
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2009, 11:03:21 am »
You should tell your student avisor. Or send an annonomys letter to the dean. Seriously, there is a difference between having a teacher that you don't like and a having a teacher that sucks at teaching. Maby if someone in her hierachy knew she sucked, they could give her some techniques to help reach her students better.
I got 99 problems but a nymphomaniac jester girl ain't one.

Admiral Apocolypto

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2009, 11:20:59 am »
Or you could, you know, talk to the teacher politely, and tell her that you're having trouble, and that she's being unclear during class.  If the teacher doesn't hear this from students, she has no way of knowing her style isn't working, so it's kind of on you to make the first step.  Maybe she'll be unreasonable, but maybe she won't.

Pozf

• Nymphomaniac!!
  • What is a man?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2009, 11:24:38 am »
Both have been done. Students have talked to both and Higher ups in the past week or so.
When a student talks to her she just goes E.x.t.r.e.m.e.l.y. slow the next day... then goes back up to normal speed
'Science is on the march. Don't get in its way.'

RoninAngel

• Eternal Lover
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2009, 12:38:59 pm »
Well, fuck!  >:(

Doesn't seem like there is much else you can do but suck it up and wait till next semester to get a better math teacher. She can't be the only math teacher on campus, can she?

Maby there is a better one in the night time or something... :)
I got 99 problems but a nymphomaniac jester girl ain't one.

Oddball

• Nymphomaniac!!
  • Me the 13th Duke of Wymbourne are they quite mad!
    • MSN Messenger - oddballsco@hotmail.co.uk
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - oddball24sco
    • View Profile
    • Myspace Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2009, 01:26:48 am »
Dont know if I told ye a' this tale:  Had a lecturer who taught us Aerodynamics one year, used to get out of lessons by putting on videos.  Then one day he turned off the lights and put on a video that we had seen thousands of times before, and he fell asleep, we  waited  5 minutes then walked out of class he never knew we had walked out and nothing was said the next day about it.
What good is dreaming it if you don't actually do it?.

Kanazaka

• Hot Streaker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2009, 02:27:31 pm »
Does your school have course evaluations?  Those provide a method for you to tell the school what you do or don't like about a teacher's instruction methods, as well as what you do or don't like about the course itself.  I'm not sure how useful those evaluations ultimately are, but I think it's a good idea to take advantage of them if they are available.  I've had mediocre professors, and I sometimes wonder whether or not the school values their expertise more than their people skills.  But I suppose sometimes you have to deal, as long as the teacher isn't disrespectful or otherwise acts inappropriately toward his or her students.

dg86

• Slave Groupie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2009, 12:04:53 am »
Depends what kind of school you go to, really. 

For instance, I'm getting my MS in statistics now, and all I have to say is this:

You get what you pay for (fin aid not withstanding).

I had one professor in my undergrad experience who I grew to see as an older sister (French redhead uber-nerd from MIT who binges on chocolate and is every bit as hyper as a person who does so), and while I had my share of bad professors, the professors generally get a lot better as you get into electives.

Here at my MS (Rutgers, went to Lehigh U. for undergrad), the professors are just plain boring, although one is showing his sense of humor, albeit he has a language barrier, while the other two are simply not quirky at all.

If you want good professors, go to good institutions.  If you go to a shitty institution, then odds are, you won't find a professor who loves to teach there.