Author Topic: TALK: Nightmares  (Read 28560 times)

Admiral Apocolypto

Re: TALK: Nightmares
« Reply #30 on: March 20, 2009, 06:39:11 pm »
I'm really confused, this is my first RP and I really don't know where to begin.

charles

• Harem Master
  • LAWNMOWER MASACRE
    • MSN Messenger - charles_wilkinson@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • google profile
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: March 20, 2009, 06:51:39 pm »
I guess the main thing to remember is that you can't get it perfect.  People will step on each other's toes and contradict each other or pull of stuff that just isn't that realistic because we're all guessing at what the other's intentions are.

Right now, Jenii and Motor-head are pretty much waiting in a camp for others to join them, so you could write your character in as just a member of the clan they're in and walk up to them with a sense of destiny.  Come to them as a hungry orphan of the tribe or walk in from the wastes as Jenii did.

I think, getting into the group is often one of the most awkward parts but once you're there, it generally just flows (it's why they generally invent pubs and bars for people to meet in).
CLAN OF THE CATS IS MAKING A COMEBACK! JUNE 8th.  BE THERE!

Admiral Apocolypto

« Reply #32 on: March 20, 2009, 07:12:06 pm »
The problem is my character communicates through thought. He can talk, and will if he has to, but has the ability to insert thoughts into another person's head.  But how do I make someone else's character think something?  How do I know the other person won't object and completely ignore what my character does?

charles

• Harem Master
  • LAWNMOWER MASACRE
    • View Profile
    • google profile
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: March 21, 2009, 03:12:55 am »
Not sure how familiar you are with D&D but they have this spell called "Suggestion" which means that you can put a thought in someone's mind, or rather influence them to do something, but ONLY if it's in their nature or they're likely to do it anyway (and you're spell/suggestion just pushed them over the edge). So in the game I could 'suggest' that an elf attack another elf, but it probably wouldn't happen.  On the other hand I could 'suggest' that an ork attack another ork and he'd happily do it since it's in most ork's nature to attack and challenge each other.  I might also want to 'suggest' that a character kill themselves, but it's unlikely to happen unless they were suicidal to begin with.

I guess in your case, you could argue that he does it at random, in the hope of scoring a hit, or if he's hungry, he might have witnessed Motor-head's offer of food to Jenii and belief that others are destined to join them, then 'suggest' that Motor-head believe him to be another 'chosen' one and provide him with food and protection.

Admiral Apocolypto

« Reply #34 on: March 21, 2009, 10:19:48 am »
Well, no, he can also read thoughts as well, but it would seem out of line to say what another character's thoughts were.  A good example of what my character is like is Matt Parkman from Heroes, if anyone watches that.  That's the later seasons, not the first one where he could just read thoughts.  Mostly he'd (back to Delphiki) just use surface thoughts for tactical advantage, but he can dig deeper if he has to, but he doesn't do that if he doesn't have to, because there's a risk of being caught.

charles

• Harem Master
  • LAWNMOWER MASACRE
    • View Profile
    • google profile
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: March 21, 2009, 04:54:01 pm »
...That is a tricky one.  Well I can tell you my character hasn't lied yet, so it shouldn't be too hard to guess what his thoughts are or might be.  As for Jenii, I guess she's pretty scrambled with her insanity.

Admiral Apocolypto

« Reply #36 on: March 21, 2009, 11:55:33 pm »
I think I'll just stick with his telekinesis for now, and use his mind manipulation on NPCs.

charles

• Harem Master
  • LAWNMOWER MASACRE
    • View Profile
    • google profile
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: March 22, 2009, 04:13:46 pm »
Good work on the post.  Now it's over to Jenii to respond to your mind-manipulation I think.  Or one of the other players to make an appearance.

On a side note, if you're able to read intelligence, then while the average human probably walks around with 512MB of RAM upstairs and yours might have 1Gig or more, Motor-head would be lucky to have about 256Kb ticking away i the old noggin.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2009, 04:17:52 pm by charles »

Admiral Apocolypto

« Reply #38 on: March 22, 2009, 06:12:51 pm »
Thanks.  And as for Motor-Head, I figured as such, but didn't want to assume he was an idiot.  As for Delphiki (props to anyone who gets the reference, btw), if an average of humans have about 512MB of RAM, he has about...6 terabytes.

charles

• Harem Master
  • LAWNMOWER MASACRE
    • View Profile
    • google profile
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: March 22, 2009, 06:44:04 pm »
When you specified him as highly intelligent, I actually had you pinned for reading the AMTRAK WARS and making him a wordsmith.

In the AMTRAK universe, although the Mutes are brave, strong and resiliant they have a horrific memory.  I guess the intelligence isn't actually that bad, but they just can't seem to hold on to memories long-term unless it's a thought thats ticking over in their mind (such as the sense of destiny thats been instilled in Motor-head by his wordsmith) or something ingrained in their subconcious (like an instinct or ability build into muscle memory from repeated use).  However, one in every 10,000 is born at the opposite end, with an infallible memory measured in the terabytes and even the ability to draw in knowledge and temporarily pass it on just by their proximity.  Sound familiar to the possible abilities of your own character with his intelligence and telepathic powers?

Obviously this is the Nightmare universe, not the AMTRAK one, but I just found it highly amusing how well it fit in.  I'm certainly interested to see what happens when we sleep and dream for the first time.

Admiral Apocolypto

« Reply #40 on: March 23, 2009, 02:21:39 am »
Well, that was interesting.  Delphiki did not get food, but that's almost unimportant.  What he found out was that, as far as he can tell, Jenii is not a threat to him, at least not yet.  He'll dig deeper, but in the mean time, I am tired and have to finish this project.

NightWraith

• Forbidden Fruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 23, 2009, 02:49:00 am »
Well I did assume that "The boy" was motor-head... But then again Jenii isnt all there so it's no surprise she may misinterpret any suggestions you plant.

As to the Dream World, well it's a partial reflection of the real world, with a few differences...

The longer something is in the same place in the waking world the more solid it appears in the dream world. So for example a rock would appear the same in both worlds, but one of the nomadic clans tents would appear faint and almost transparent (and wouldn't offer up much resistance if you tried to walk through it).

Trees, graas and running water are a mixture of the two, they appear somewhat fuzzy around the edges but have a solid "core".

After that it gets complicated...

It's possible to create things (almost anything possble) by thinking about them and they will appear solid, it takes a fair amount of effort though, small inanimate objects are the easiest, "images" of others are the hardest (these images look, act and behave how you see that person). You (that's the rper's and 99% of the NPCs) cannot manipulate other dreamers (you cant for example imagine them with no head, or a sword in their chest), but you can yourself. But even that is limited, you can't make yourself 20-feet tall for example but you can move yourself through the world much faster than normal (it's even possible to fly, but that requires a massive amount of concentration.. one wrong thought at the wrong time and splat).

The few things out there that can manipulate you in the Dream World, the obvious example is the Nightmare.

Death in the Dream World MAY be permanent (if the Nightmare is involved there's about a 90% chance you will be), and any injuries suffered there may exist on waking.

Usually you wont see any other dreamers there either, although it is possible and can happen.

Oh and finally, some beings live in the Dream World (like the Nightmare).

Lucid Nightmare

« Reply #42 on: March 23, 2009, 03:56:26 am »
If anyone missed it, i'm in a mountain town, hence the presence of snow still.

Oddball

• Nymphomaniac!!
  • Me the 13th Duke of Wymbourne are they quite mad!
    • MSN Messenger - oddballsco@hotmail.co.uk
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - oddball24sco
    • View Profile
    • Myspace Profile
    • Email
« Reply #43 on: March 23, 2009, 06:26:03 am »
is it too late to join in?
What good is dreaming it if you don't actually do it?.

NightWraith

• Forbidden Fruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 23, 2009, 06:31:13 am »
It's never too late to join in any RP..

Well except those that no-ones posted in for 6 months...

Oddball

• Nymphomaniac!!
    • View Profile
    • Myspace Profile
    • Email
« Reply #45 on: March 23, 2009, 06:33:05 am »
thanks jsut trying to work out a character just now. been a llllloooonnggggg time since i been in a RP.

charles

• Harem Master
  • LAWNMOWER MASACRE
    • View Profile
    • google profile
    • Email
« Reply #46 on: March 23, 2009, 06:47:03 am »
Usually you wont see any other dreamers there either, although it is possible and can happen.
Probably very likely if someone telepathic was involved... AdmiralA's character is looking more and more powerful and useful in this world.

@Lucid's RP post: #@&% ME! I ain't gonna bloody sleep tonight with that post in my head!
« Last Edit: March 23, 2009, 06:59:36 am by charles »

NightWraith

• Forbidden Fruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 23, 2009, 07:12:10 am »
Probably very likely if someone telepathic was involved... AdmiralA's character is looking more and more powerful and useful in this world.

He'd still have to connect with our minds in our sleeping bodies not our "Dream bodies" (unless you were to physically enter the Dream World). It's not a case of powers.. it's a case of either knowing how to do it, or luck.

Although I suppose if two people were psychically linked at the point they fell asleep that would do the trick.

Oddball

• Nymphomaniac!!
    • View Profile
    • Myspace Profile
    • Email
« Reply #48 on: March 23, 2009, 03:22:55 pm »
hmm might be awhile before i post.  Trying to figure out this nightmare sequence for my character.

Keaoden Silverstride

• Cage Dancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 23, 2009, 04:14:17 pm »
I'm just waiting for Chag to post before I do.

Chag4

• Kinky
  • PM of awkwardness
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 23, 2009, 04:35:00 pm »
AAAAAH!
I'm really late for this!
I was going to post earlier today but time just flew by and I had to go before I finished my post.
Is it night? In that case, can I skip till morning? Doesn't seem right for my post to be at night...
Awkward hugs are my speciality.

Oddball

• Nymphomaniac!!
    • View Profile
    • Myspace Profile
    • Email
« Reply #51 on: March 23, 2009, 05:10:32 pm »
ok this is going to take me awhile to sort out all ready turning out to be a long post with no idea how it will end  ???

Admiral Apocolypto

« Reply #52 on: March 23, 2009, 06:13:28 pm »

He'd still have to connect with our minds in our sleeping bodies not our "Dream bodies" (unless you were to physically enter the Dream World). It's not a case of powers.. it's a case of either knowing how to do it, or luck.

Although I suppose if two people were psychically linked at the point they fell asleep that would do the trick.

Yeah, I was planning on having Delphiki enter the world by entering the mind of someone sleeping at one point.  So he'd be awake and able to leave at any point...although a hasty exit like that might kill the dreamer, so he'd only do it to an NPC.

Oddball

• Nymphomaniac!!
    • View Profile
    • Myspace Profile
    • Email
« Reply #53 on: March 23, 2009, 06:15:43 pm »
you can enter my players mind if you want Sieck he is asleep just now

Admiral Apocolypto

« Reply #54 on: March 23, 2009, 08:12:52 pm »
Too early.

Chag4

• Kinky
  • PM of awkwardness
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 24, 2009, 05:36:26 am »
Morning soon? I'm not posting 'till morning/day.
Awkward hugs are my speciality.

NightWraith

• Forbidden Fruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 24, 2009, 05:47:34 am »
Well was thinking a quick meet and great between Odd and us, followed by some running before morning....

Oddball

• Nymphomaniac!!
    • View Profile
    • Myspace Profile
    • Email
« Reply #57 on: March 24, 2009, 06:16:52 am »
sounds good to me...by the way its a Kilt if i wore something underneath it then it would be a skirt  ;D :P lol
« Last Edit: March 24, 2009, 06:22:41 am by Oddball »

NightWraith

• Forbidden Fruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 24, 2009, 08:31:00 am »
I know what it is.... Jenii doesn't...

And I'd rather not know what you are(nt) wearing underneath thanks...

btw do you have a Sporran?

Oddball

• Nymphomaniac!!
    • View Profile
    • Myspace Profile
    • Email
« Reply #59 on: March 24, 2009, 08:49:29 am »
I do but Duncan doesn't  kept on hitting him in the face when he is running.