Author Topic: HARRY POTTER - books, movies and all.  (Read 7279 times)

charles

• Harem Master
  • LAWNMOWER MASACRE
    • MSN Messenger - charles_wilkinson@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • google profile
    • Email
HARRY POTTER - books, movies and all.
« on: July 15, 2009, 05:41:51 pm »
Just seeing this come up with the latest movie out.  I'm about to go see it myself actually.

Discuss Harry potter here. Your good and bad experiences. What you think of the books, the movies and the Author.
CLAN OF THE CATS IS MAKING A COMEBACK! JUNE 8th.  BE THERE!

akashayi

Re: HARRY POTTER - books, movies and all.
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2009, 07:31:57 pm »
I was going to see Harry Potter tonight, but plans fell through. Damn it, plans. >.<;

Smiles

• Nymphomaniac!!
  • Easter is gonna be great!Heard he will Rise Again!
    • View Profile
    • AnimeCentral
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2009, 08:25:23 pm »
POINT:
IF you haven't read all 7 of the the books or seen all 6 movies 

SPOILERs

follow in great amount.

starting

now.

Harry potter books: I enjoyed reading the books hands down. and I particularly enjoyed it when Rowling stopped the reintroductions  of the whole Dursley family at the beginning of each book. i love all the details she puts in. i kind of used to be a kind of version of Hermione just with not as good of grades. My favorite thing about the books are the major twists at the end. book 1: quarrel is the real bad guy. book 2: Ginny was possessed by tom riddle's diary book 3: Sirius was good and ron's rat was an animagus that had betrayed Harry's parents 4: Mad Eye moody as we knew him was really Barty crouch Jr 5: Undecided due to many twists in the book 6: told you the twist in the beginning that Snape would kill Dumbledore 7: Harry has the wand to defeat Voldemort

MOVIE critique: smilie face rating

key:
 :-*=1
 ::) =1/2
 :'(= negative

i saw the first movie before I read the books. I felt something was missing from the movie when I saw it. then I read the book and found out I was totally right.  i saw that about four times in theaters. after sis got it for Christmas we watched it even more. and we watched it until we'd made fun of it so bad that Harry and Ron find out in slow motion that they're gay and attracted to eachother on the staircase  to the third floor and the troll in the Girls bathroom is really Ron's illegitimate mother trying to give Hermione Hair tips. Not to mention Hermione is a Klepto and well yeah we really can't watch the first movie quite the same anymore. :-* :-* :-* ::)

when I saw the second movie I was psyched out, caught in the hype. i was disappointed about the few things that were cut out but being a movie I knew they couldn't put Everything in. But I've said it before and I'll say it again and again and again! "It was Bloody Brilliant!" okay so a friend Of mine said the sword used in the chamber of secrets was tiny and kept calling it a tooth pick and the basilisk Mr wiggles but I really couldn't do that. Cuz I really do <3 number two the most out of all the movies so far. Not to mention I adore how fabulous Jason Issacs is at playing Lucious Malfoy. who every minute he's on the screen i just want to deck him because he fits the role so well and watching Dobby give him his comeuppance was fantabulous! I'd never had a favorite villain before I saw Jason play Lucious on the big screen.  :-* :-* :-* :-*  ::)

then came the third movie.... which was cinematographically beautiful and all but really out of sequence for most of the movie in general, in comparing with the books. though I did love watching Hermione punch Malfoy twice! :-* :-* :-* ::)

of course the fourth movie was the worst (untill 6)and the best of them. the worst because they cut out sooo much and the best because of alll the action. :-* :-*

the fifth movie was rather good for the point of how much they skipped there. It had Dumbledore's Army so props there. And i made sure I hadn't read the books in a  while so the details could be just hazy enough for me not to go "Oh My Gawd! what the hell they missed this and this and this and this and this..." and while the fireworks were nice they weren't as spectacular as they were in my imagination. :-* :-* :-*

the sixth and latest movie was by far the worst of the worst.
Biggest SPOILER HERE:               ...                I'D like to point out that if you hadn't read the books you would be so completely confused as to what was going on between Harry and Dumbledore. and if you had read it well forget it.  The only thing they really did correctly was the Sluggworth plotline and the actual memories that they showed were well portrayed not to mention the scenes they did do were fairly close to the mark but otherwise they missed a valuable plot advancement item. like oh i don't know but i think it very good to know that three of the seven horcruxes are made of Hogwarts head items like one for each house in huffle puff, raven claw and of course slytherin. now Harry has three less clues to go by. I'd like to see how they're going to make up for that loss of info in the 7th movie. any ways that leaves my rating for This movie at :-* :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(
« Last Edit: July 15, 2009, 08:31:31 pm by Smiles »
Just loving it! :-*
let's sit and chat a while and see if I don't make you smile .;)

CrystalDragonSpaceMarine

• Eternal Lover
  • Show me your enemies.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2009, 10:55:28 pm »
As usual, the actual make of the movie is great, and the actor's are great, but of course, the story suffered.

I was disappointed with a few of things left out, and I was especially disappointed with the way the final scene played out.

Razzly

• Erotic
  • Contrast.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2009, 11:04:21 am »
I thought only the first movie was good. The rest... Not so much.

Books were good up till the last one, which I didn't like at all.
Winner of Brion Foulke's "cute little panda"-award.
"Mutta rukous on vain mutina tuulessa, ei sitä kukaan kuule..."

Oddball

• Nymphomaniac!!
  • Me the 13th Duke of Wymbourne are they quite mad!
    • MSN Messenger - oddballsco@hotmail.co.uk
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - oddball24sco
    • View Profile
    • Myspace Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2009, 11:11:04 am »
aye the worst thing to come out of Edinburgh.
What good is dreaming it if you don't actually do it?.

CrystalDragonSpaceMarine

• Eternal Lover
  • Show me your enemies.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2009, 06:33:08 pm »
I thought only the first movie was good. The rest... Not so much.

Books were good up till the last one, which I didn't like at all.

I agree with you there. There were disappointments on many levels. Especially all the characters that died unceremoniously.

charles

• Harem Master
  • LAWNMOWER MASACRE
    • View Profile
    • google profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2009, 06:50:58 pm »
Saw the latest Harry Potter Movie on the Weekend... A number of things suddenly make sense.

Worked out who RGB is thanks to another movie I watched recently, although it was only a passing reference to the person.

Not sure what to make of the complaints about the movie.  It's not one of the better ones but I thought it was alright.  Plenty of laughter at the various dating antics across the cinema.  However, I haven't read the book, so I'm not sure whats been skipped that would be critical later on.  But I'm thinking I should get off my bum, grab a copy and read them through.  It's a popular enough series so there must be something worthwhile about it (although, I wouldn't apply that logic to Twilight ;))

Smiles

• Nymphomaniac!!
  • Easter is gonna be great!Heard he will Rise Again!
    • View Profile
    • AnimeCentral
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2009, 01:06:13 pm »
another movie? like what?
Just loving it! :-*
let's sit and chat a while and see if I don't make you smile .;)

Razzly

• Erotic
  • Contrast.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2009, 01:14:09 pm »
It's a popular enough series so there must be something worthwhile about it (although, I wouldn't apply that logic to Twilight ;))

THANK YOU! Finally someone who agrees.

I just saw the newest Harry Potter. I actually liked it, it wasn't as rushed as the earlier ones have been. The, hmm, "big dramatic scene" (you know what I mean) was really well done.
Winner of Brion Foulke's "cute little panda"-award.
"Mutta rukous on vain mutina tuulessa, ei sitä kukaan kuule..."

charles

• Harem Master
  • LAWNMOWER MASACRE
    • View Profile
    • google profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2009, 04:45:22 pm »
another movie? like what?
Prisoner of Azkaban (or however it's spelled).  As Harry looks into the memory of Dumbledore on the trial, a name is mentioned by someone in the stands and I immediately noticed what that person's initials would be.

Kanazaka

• Hot Streaker
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2009, 03:09:26 pm »
I liked the latest Harry Potter movie, but I understand Smiles' frustrations.  My major complaints were that the tone was rather subdued compared to the previous films, and that the climactic Snape/Dumbledore confrontation felt too short (as did the Death Eaters marauding through Hogwarts).  Other than that, I liked the acting, dialogue and overall flow of the film.  But yes, it's more enjoyable if you've read the book, since you won't notice plot holes (the aforementioned Horcrux dilemma, as well as--of lesser importance--Ginny seemingly cheating on Dean Thomas).  I like the books much more than the movies, and the first book is still my favorite, with the fifth book coming in second.