Author Topic: Google Chrome OS?  (Read 3305 times)

akashayi

Google Chrome OS?
« on: July 08, 2009, 12:35:22 pm »
We all saw it coming:
http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2009/07/introducing-google-chrome-os.html

Google Chrome OS will run on both x86 as well as ARM chips and we are working with multiple OEMs to bring a number of netbooks to market next year. The software architecture is simple — Google Chrome running within a new windowing system on top of a Linux kernel. For application developers, the web is the platform. All web-based applications will automatically work and new applications can be written using your favorite web technologies.

Open Source! Code is supposed to be released later this year and it should be available for/on netbooks next year.

Churba

• Passion Player
  • The Fresh Prince of Leeds.
    • View Profile
Re: Google Chrome OS?
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2009, 12:44:55 pm »
I'll admit, I'm interested, but I'm not freaking out like the rest of the internet is, as if it came bundled with a free high-class hooker and a half kilo of Colombian blow.

Oddball

• Nymphomaniac!!
  • Me the 13th Duke of Wymbourne are they quite mad!
    • MSN Messenger - oddballsco@hotmail.co.uk
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - oddball24sco
    • View Profile
    • Myspace Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2009, 12:46:36 pm »
got it but have not used it or have no idea what it is for.
What good is dreaming it if you don't actually do it?.

akashayi

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2009, 01:23:50 pm »
Are you telling me it doesn't come with a free high-class hooker and a half kilo of Colombian blow? My hopes and dreams, crushed!

All the buzz aside, I think this is good news. Google putting forth it's massive energy into the linux kernel, and further reduction of Microsoft's hold on the market? Specifically, the netbook market has suffered because of Microsoft throwing money at companies to standardize things the way they want them and would benefit with better competition.

Churba

• Passion Player
  • The Fresh Prince of Leeds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2009, 01:56:54 pm »
Are you telling me it doesn't come with a free high-class hooker and a half kilo of Colombian blow? My hopes and dreams, crushed!
Don't worry, I think that's coming in the 1.7 update.
All the buzz aside, I think this is good news. Google putting forth it's massive energy into the linux kernel, and further reduction of Microsoft's hold on the market? Specifically, the netbook market has suffered because of Microsoft throwing money at companies to standardize things the way they want them and would benefit with better competition.
And that's why I'm interested to see how it goes. If it's a good operating system, that will be fantastic, because microsoft will have some low-footprint, easy to use competition, especially in the rapidly-growing netbook market - which will be the primary use for the Google OS, at least at first.

Also, Having the might of Google behind the Linux Kernel will be a benefit to all us linux users, because while open source is great, it can often move at a glacial pace, and having google pushing it to speed up can't be a bad thing.

*Looks about*
What? I am actually good for more than stupid jokes and wearing a trilby, you know.