Author Topic: 21-12-2012 The end of the world as we know it?  (Read 11426 times)

Selan

• Heavenly Orgasmic
    • View Profile
21-12-2012 The end of the world as we know it?
« on: June 28, 2009, 07:43:46 am »
So i've been watching this documentairy about this specific date where the world will seize to exist as we know it. What's your opinion about all this?
Is it all a bunch of mumbo jumbo?
Or is there something really big going to happen on that date?
If so, how big will the consequences be for us humans?

The documentairy:
part1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-KGg0BWFb-4&feature=PlayList&p=E17E72F0D7DED66F&index=0
part2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_TYkN29OZ4&feature=PlayList&p=E17E72F0D7DED66F&index=1
Part3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7wc77WX1h8&feature=PlayList&p=E17E72F0D7DED66F&index=2
Part4: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hD5_1xA6c8o&feature=PlayList&p=E17E72F0D7DED66F&index=3
part5: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T05V6sLxlEk&feature=PlayList&p=E17E72F0D7DED66F&index=4

Emp_Dragon

• Harem Master
  • Submit to the power of Sam
    • MSN Messenger - erik.arteus@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
Re: 21-12-2012 The end of the world as we know it?
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2009, 09:02:35 am »
I don't think it's more likely for something big happening that date than any other date. Though there might be a drastic increase in suicide cults and other kinds of fanatics.

leana

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2009, 09:55:21 am »
Selan is scaring me  :'( ;)
To be honest...i dont really want to believe it's going to happen...
On the other side, all the signs are pointing towards this date...and Nostradamus is a pretty big guy on predicting events like these...and how about the maya-calendre...Pretty weird as well isn't it?

Valenthesial

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2009, 10:54:17 am »
I haven't seen the documentary yet, but I must confess I seriously don't believe in this, just as I did not believe in the 2000 Bug (Although I did saw plenty software codes that indeed had to be fixed to prevent such bugs back in 1999).

The origin of the so called "Doomsday" is founded on the Mayan Calendar "Mesoamerican Long Count Calendar", which simply do not use products of 10 like we are used to in the decimal system, but rather have a very limited set maximum of digits a number (or date in this case) could have.

Quote from: wikipedia
The Long Count kept time in units of 20, so 20 days made a uinal, 18 uinals, or 360 days, made a tun, 20 tuns made a katun, and 20 katuns, or 144,000 days, made up a baktun. After 13 baktuns, the numbers reset and the count moved to a higher order.[3] So, for example, the Mayan date of 8.3.2.10.15 represents 8 baktuns, 3 katuns, 2 tuns, 10 uinals and 15 days since creation.

It seems rather obvious to me that they simply did not think that such a date beyond 13.13.13.13.13.13.13.13.13.13.13.13.13.13.13.13.13.13.13.13 is needed,
just like the computer developers never thought of the need for extra digits to store the year in various software.

Since luckily we do not have any software in use which was designed by the ancient Mayans, I would think that we are relatively safe!

Besides - If we have to die, we die :P. No real reason to panic over something unchangeable.

There isn't a way to change a calendar designed with too few digits to hold no more than 2012 years.
If the Mayans knew something we don't - they never bothered leaving behind any text to warn how to fix this, why is this happening or whatever as far as anyone knows.

Selan

• Heavenly Orgasmic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2009, 10:57:14 am »
Well it's more about an allignment in the constellations and such then it is about the mayans.

Oddball

• Nymphomaniac!!
  • Me the 13th Duke of Wymbourne are they quite mad!
    • MSN Messenger - oddballsco@hotmail.co.uk
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - oddball24sco
    • View Profile
    • Myspace Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2009, 11:22:19 am »
Nah dont think we will snuff it unless we see the Big Mushroom Cloud in the sky.
What good is dreaming it if you don't actually do it?.

Valenthesial

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2009, 11:31:10 am »
Well it's more about an allignment in the constellations and such then it is about the mayans.

Oh, that one?
I'm sorry, there are just so many different apocalypse theories, I got confused between them!  ;D

I think it's kinda fashionable right now to believe in at least one of the apocalypses that are supposed to occur in 2012 :P

Six different apocalypses theories about 2012 being the end of the world - And why they are all bullshit according to the "not-so-subtle" author of this article.
http://www.cracked.com/article_17445_6-best-2012-apocalypse-theories-are-all-bullshit.html
« Last Edit: June 28, 2009, 12:59:53 pm by Valenthesial »

CrystalDragonSpaceMarine

• Eternal Lover
  • Show me your enemies.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2009, 06:36:57 pm »
I'm still upset the LHC didn't fuck us all up.

Valenthesial

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2009, 10:43:46 am »
I'm still upset the LHC didn't fuck us all up.

rofl, that would have been kinda hilarious considering the amount of money they spent into it.

charles

• Harem Master
  • LAWNMOWER MASACRE
    • MSN Messenger - charles_wilkinson@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • google profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2009, 11:20:39 am »
I gotta admit. You think back to all the times people have thought the end of the world was coming and you can almost laugh.

I don't expect some sudden meteor to wipe out the Earth in my lifetime or any garbage like that, but there are two things that do worry me.

1. Nukes. Obvious one that hasn't been a threat until about 40 years ago.  We're seeing the technology and knowledge of these things spread more and more to other countries who are known to be more inclined to use them, or who's security around such weaponry is questionable.  It could only take a few, fired off at people to really heat things up and then even the conservative nations will start feeling trigger happy.  But seriously, the whole thing has been one big bottle of nitroglycerin for a long time just waiting for a good bump to set it off.  This is something I COULD see happening in my lifetime.

2. SuperVirus.  A less obvious one but I personally was amazed at how easily the Swine Flu managed to spread through the world and reach pandemic despite what I regarded as a fairly swift and severe response.  I'm not afraid of Swine Flu myself, as i think it's all a bit over hyped and isn't too much worse than almost any other severe flu we've seen in the past.  But something else thats changed in the last 30-40 years is the ease of transport.  Previously a SuperVirus may have hit some civilisation or township, wiped them out and died along with them.  In the first half of the last century, it may have spread through a country or even continent with relative ease thanks to advances and levels of transport at the time.  But today's society has unfathomable levels of transportation with tens of thousands of people travelling between nations and accross borders every day.  A constant stream of human traffic around the world.  We're now in a situation where any virus could begin in a population and be around the world inside of 2 months.

Unlike all the other threats to end the world which have never occured or are so unlikely it's laughable, these are two new world-ending situations that have only become possible in the last 30-40 years as a result of advancement in technology and culture.

They are the two scenarios that I consider remotely possible of occuring at just about any point from now in my lifetime.  Although I pray they don't.
CLAN OF THE CATS IS MAKING A COMEBACK! JUNE 8th.  BE THERE!

Valenthesial

« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2009, 12:28:54 pm »
I don't expect some sudden meteor to wipe out the Earth in my lifetime or any garbage like that, but there are two things that do worry me.

But but... Where's the fun in that? where is the mythical and fanciful way to end the world?

It's far prettier to fantasize about the world ending due to some ancient prophesy and halfway deciphered scriptures in an exotic language or a supernatural mega cosmic effect which was predicted even before the bible was written that will shatter the world to smithereens - than to think that atom warhead missiles would destroy the world... it's like... so 80s...

Be more creative with your end of the world fantasies, would ya? :P

CrystalDragonSpaceMarine

• Eternal Lover
  • Show me your enemies.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2009, 09:09:16 pm »
Fun fantasies about the end of the world?
Hmm...
All technology at a certain level of being 'advanced' fails.  At a point where most of the world depends on it (have fun imagining how we get there).  Anyway, we all die off because we can't comprehend how to live without it, and even though we've all watched the History and Discovery channel, we don't know what the hell to do.

Or how about this?

All technology at a certain level of being 'advanced' succeeds.
Unfortunately, it is fleshie meatbags that fail.

I speak, of course, of ROBOT UPRISING.

Razzly

• Erotic
  • Contrast.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2009, 03:08:26 am »
Personally I think the whole thing is a tad bit ridiculous.

Hasn't the end of the world been predicted, what, three times already? And we're still here.

But if we all die, then we all die. I don't care much, quite honestly.
Winner of Brion Foulke's "cute little panda"-award.
"Mutta rukous on vain mutina tuulessa, ei sitä kukaan kuule..."

Selan

• Heavenly Orgasmic
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2009, 04:01:07 am »
I find it interresting that people are looking for clues to the end of the world, basicly all the info they gave in the documantairy can be translated into different theories.
The scary part is that people hang on to these prophecies and actually believe that the end is near.
How come we are so fascinated with our own end?

CrystalDragonSpaceMarine

• Eternal Lover
  • Show me your enemies.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2009, 07:32:11 am »
I find it interresting that people are looking for clues to the end of the world, basicly all the info they gave in the documantairy can be translated into different theories.
The scary part is that people hang on to these prophecies and actually believe that the end is near.
How come we are so fascinated with our own end?

I think it might be with our ability to understand our own mortality, and realize that we'll inevitably die.

Hans

• Rose Petal Acolyte
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2009, 08:25:34 am »
They ran out of space on their calendar.

Come on, yours doesn't have year 3000 AD in there.

My calendar ends 2038-01-19 03:14:07. Are there any serious world ending theories about this date?

Valenthesial

« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2009, 10:37:05 am »

My calendar ends 2038-01-19 03:14:07. Are there any serious world ending theories about this date?

But of course. the year 2038 is known as the Hans Doomsday!

It was first predicted by an anonymous user on a relatively small forum community, known as flipside, back in June 2009.

Little was it known at that time, that the name "Hans" was a mere nickname for the Hansen Natural Corporation and this entire corporation was founded back in the 1930's, by Hubert Hansen and his three sons who began selling fresh, non-pasteurized juices to film studios and retailers in Southern California under the Hansen's® name.

Hubert Hansen predicted back in 1930 the start of world war 2, as well as it's effects on the sales of Natural sodas and 100% juices products. Thus, he has made it a successful company and monopolized the entire soda industry.
Since this predicament has obviously happened, it is unreasonable to think that this message on the flipside forums was anything less than a Prophecy Of The Future®.

The anonymous forum user which was actually a double agent operative within the HANS, happened to be a decedent of the ancient Mayans, just to give it a year 3000 AD atmosphere. And yes, you've guessed it right, the Mayans were originally the ones to invent the Soda to take over the world, which by a weird and too sophisticated to explain chemical metathesis happening in the HANS product line will cause a nuclear chain of reactions and eventually lead to a meteor falling from the sky and destroying the entire world on exactly 2038 at exactly 19/1 03:14:07.

So be warned of Hans's words!

THE WORLD WILL END AT 2038! All beware the power of Soda!

Note to self: I think I should sleep more often :P

Hans

• Rose Petal Acolyte
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2009, 12:24:44 pm »

But of course. the year 2038 is known as the Hans Doomsday!

Actually, that is when signed UTC runs over. Similar to Y2K for posix systems, that still use a signed 32 bit counter for time representation.
End of time for these computer systems.

Valenthesial

« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2009, 12:43:27 pm »
And according to Microsoft's SQLServer Databases (on which many commercial software is based) the end of the world is 2079 June 6.

Quote from: MSDN SQLServer 2005
SQL Server stores smalldatetime values as two 2-byte integers. The first 2 bytes store the number of days after January 1, 1900. The other 2 bytes store the number of minutes since midnight. Dates range from January 1, 1900, through June 6, 2079, with accuracy to the minute.

Some people just never ever learn...  ;D

UmberIsSexy

• Erotic
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2009, 01:31:40 pm »
without reading anything but the OP, not even having seen the videos:

sounds comforting, but sigh, probably won't happen.

but then, I guess it's not comforting either - the end of the world would probably suck, what with all the scrambling to survive and stuff.  Unless it was like straight-up nuclear destruction or something.  I guess I should watch the videos to see what they're predicting though.  I have heard 2012 though before I think.  From a wack-job of a lady, but yes I have heard it I think..

Oddball

• Nymphomaniac!!
    • View Profile
    • Myspace Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2009, 01:48:17 pm »
but the big question is will it fall on a Monday or a Friday?

RoninAngel

• Eternal Lover
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2009, 11:43:25 pm »
So i've been watching this documentairy about this specific date where the world will seize to exist as we know it. What's your opinion about all this?
Is it all a bunch of mumbo jumbo?
Or is there something really big going to happen on that date?
If so, how big will the consequences be for us humans?

The documentairy:
part1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-KGg0BWFb-4&feature=PlayList&p=E17E72F0D7DED66F&index=0
part2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_TYkN29OZ4&feature=PlayList&p=E17E72F0D7DED66F&index=1
Part3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7wc77WX1h8&feature=PlayList&p=E17E72F0D7DED66F&index=2
Part4: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hD5_1xA6c8o&feature=PlayList&p=E17E72F0D7DED66F&index=3
part5: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T05V6sLxlEk&feature=PlayList&p=E17E72F0D7DED66F&index=4

Why are you even intrested in this question?
Aren't you an atheist?
I thought atheists stubbornly deny the exstance of the supernatural.
Did you just post this stuff so you could make fun of other's beleifs?
I got 99 problems but a nymphomaniac jester girl ain't one.

Selan

• Heavenly Orgasmic
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2009, 02:24:34 am »
It's for a debate, nothing more nothing less. I was curious about what other people thought about it.
I'm not an athiest... my beliefs have no label.
If you think my main purpose is to make fun at other people's beliefs than that's fine with me.

RoninAngel

• Eternal Lover
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2009, 10:39:17 am »
Whatever. You've labled your self as an atheist on this very forum. Most of this stuff is based on the supernatural and atheists don't believe in that. Why debate something when you already have foregone conclusions about it?

Speaking of foregone conclusions: ::)
There is no way some Incan Callendar or some randomly assembled internet information is going to spell the end of the world. Someone is allways trying to talk about the end of the world. It's becuase they're sad and they want the world to end. Don't pay attention to it.

Oddball

• Nymphomaniac!!
    • View Profile
    • Myspace Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2009, 11:06:03 am »
Thing is Ronin I too am a Atheist but that does not mean I dont belive in the supernatural. I have first hand experience of "Things that go bump in the night". At work I have seen ghosts while walking the corridors and balls of light just before a resident has died.  Even while out on my hikes I have heard and see strange happenings ok one of them was the unearthly call of a Scottish Wild Cat but other things really spooked me.  So just because a person says they are an Atheist does not mean they can belive in other things as well.

Razzly

• Erotic
  • Contrast.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2009, 11:23:45 am »
I was just about to say what Odd said. Atheism only means not believing in god. I consider myself an atheist but I'm open to the idea of ghosts, and especially witches, since that's part of my culture.
Winner of Brion Foulke's "cute little panda"-award.
"Mutta rukous on vain mutina tuulessa, ei sitä kukaan kuule..."

RoninAngel

• Eternal Lover
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2009, 12:25:36 pm »
So I assume you 2 believe in a soul?

So where do all these ghosts come from if not God?

Where do they go to if not an afterlife?

By the way, exorsism works, most of the time. The person that you decide to get to perform the cerimony can be one of any number of religions but most of the time when someone is having a problem with ghosts, exorsism gets the spirit haunting to leave. 

Also, doesn't it make you uncomfortble to believe in souls and not have your soul's future taken care of, so to speak? I mean your going to die someday, and if you believe you have a soul, you should probably take care of it. Just sayin'.

And witches (real ones, not make-belive ones that chant in front of cauldrons and have green skin) derive thier power from gods and goddesses. I know becuase I read about it to see if I could become a witch and get magical powers. (Turns out real magic is alot more subtle then fireballs and magic missles :( ).

Seems to me that just believing in ghosts makes somekind of a god or goddess or afterlife a foregone conclusion. I mean, you can choose to defy God, or choose not to worship them kind of like a conciencious objector in a war, but I don't think that makes you an atheist. I think that makes you an agnostic.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2009, 12:42:39 pm by RoninAngel »

Selan

• Heavenly Orgasmic
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 15, 2009, 12:29:09 pm »
Whatever. You've labled your self as an atheist on this very forum. Most of this stuff is based on the supernatural and atheists don't believe in that. Why debate something when you already have foregone conclusions about it?

I don't have any conclusions about it, i'm just curious about what others think. Other peoples opinions matter, even tho they are different from mine. It's the same if i start a debate about getting pregnant, i don't want to have kids, does that mean i can't talk about why others want to have kids?
I get a feeling you have a chip on your shoulder about me and i don't know why, if you want a personal discussion with me you can take it to pm as this thread is obviously not meant for that.

Also, this thread is about the end of the world, not about other subjects, please stay on topic.

RoninAngel

• Eternal Lover
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: July 15, 2009, 01:00:00 pm »
not you.
This wierd "athiest magical realism" thing that has been cropping up in culture lately.

"I am an athiest, but I believe in the soul and other supernatural things."

WTF guys?!?

To me, you can either be an atheist and not believe in the supernatural, or you can believe in the supernatural. I think that denying that God (or some other big amourphous deity like thing or things) exsists and then turning around and believing in the supernatural is just dumb. Nothing against you three, but when I hear talk like that it makes me think that you never really bothered to actually think about it. Souls have to come from somewhere and they have to go somewhere. Witches worship deities to get their power. Ghosts stick around becuase they can't or don't go on to the afterlife. The afterlife assumes the existance of some deity or another. I didn't make this shit up. It's in books. It's in eye witness accounts. You can either think those books and those people are full of baloney or you can decide not to. If you have an experiance with a ghost, you can believe 1 of 2 things. 1 is that you were hallucinating. 2 is that your own experiance lends creedance to the afterlife and thence, somekind of diety or... something. anything else is a simple case of you "did not do the research."

Clearly, this stuff about the end of the world, at least as it relates to the Mayan calender, (the other stuff I am more fuzzy on,) is a clear case of people thinking that the world will magically end. IMO all the so-called "atheists" here should immediately dissmiss that as a belief in the supernatural, and therefore, nonsence. At least that would be consistant.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2009, 01:10:57 pm by RoninAngel »

Selan

• Heavenly Orgasmic
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 15, 2009, 01:03:15 pm »
Please read what i posted, if you want to discuss this make a thread, this is not the right place to do so.
Off-topic will be deleted.

Thank you.