Author Topic: Flipside fan coloring  (Read 21197 times)

Valenthesial

Flipside fan coloring
« on: June 27, 2009, 09:16:43 am »
Just tried my hand at some coloring. I think the forum's title picture could use some new fancy colors!

Please tell me what you think!

EDIT: Updated with current version according to criticism I've got so far.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2009, 04:15:49 am by Valenthesial »

Valenthesial

Re: Flipside fan coloring
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2009, 08:45:28 am »
Seems like the original link didn't work. updated it.
http://www.screenshotdumpster.com/img/E2nu910263/basliklogo.png

Either nobody saw it so far due to a non working link, or it is just plain horrible... :P
Would like to hear criticism either way...

Selan

• Heavenly Orgasmic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2009, 10:07:10 am »
It's great! Better then i would even be able to do.
But i have to say Berns eyes are off...

Valenthesial

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2009, 10:24:26 am »
It's great! Better then i would even be able to do.
But i have to say Berns eyes are off...

Thank you :-[. It's my first time to try coloring, so I wouldn't know how good/bad it is. (Took ages  ;))

Tried to slightly modify Bern's eyes:

She's got her hair over her right eye, which made it a bit harder for me to color correctly :P
Crest's eyes are also kinda weird from the same reason, but I still haven't figured a technic to deal with those.

Selan

• Heavenly Orgasmic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2009, 12:13:05 pm »
I dunno.. they are a darker green i guess

http://www.flipsidecomics.com/comic.php?i=60

Oh and i deleted the part about this thread you posted in the debate room.
Hope you don't mind ;)
« Last Edit: June 28, 2009, 12:19:12 pm by Selan »

Valenthesial

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2009, 12:59:15 pm »
Hehe, you should have said that in the first place! I was playing with lighting and trying to make them more realistic, and your original issue was with them not being dark enough? :D

Another attempt to make the eye color a bit more similar to the linked artwork of Bern:

Even darker!

Well, I believed Delusion's coloring aren't necessarily the official version as they aren't Brion's (he's doing his art only black and white as far as I know), So I took the liberty to interpret the colors as I thought. (Note that the scarf color I choose for instance was indeed mimicking Delusion's choice of colors from the very same picture you've linked, but it is also not the same).

Also the other characters aren't depicted completely according or previous coloring.
Inverness's hair color was depicted as some kind of green (which is totally wrong in my taste!) which I chose a bright blond-golden for. Mary's hair was depicted in the past as Grey or even Purple, which I drew as a sort of grayish-blond.

Quote from: Selan
Oh and i deleted the part about this thread you posted in the debate room.
Hope you don't mind  ;)
Ofc I wouldn't mind, it was rather unrelated to the debate, was just trying to catch your attention :P
« Last Edit: June 28, 2009, 01:02:54 pm by Valenthesial »

Selan

• Heavenly Orgasmic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2009, 09:57:07 am »
It's just my opinion so you shouldn't pay that much attention to it, i like the eye collour better now
In overall i think it looks good.

Valenthesial

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2009, 10:13:13 am »
It's just my opinion so you shouldn't pay that much attention to it, i like the eye collour better now
In overall i think it looks good.

Never think lowly of your own opinion! :)
Besides, I appreciate any comments that could help me improve it, so thanks!

Somehow I'm getting the feeling that I've failed to pick much of the forum's interest  :P

Btw: does one need to be a moderator in order to make a topic with vote options, or am I just being blind?

charles

• Harem Master
  • LAWNMOWER MASACRE
    • MSN Messenger - charles_wilkinson@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • google profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2009, 10:39:01 am »
Isn't Suspira's hair green and Mary's hair purple?  *shrug*
CLAN OF THE CATS IS MAKING A COMEBACK! JUNE 8th.  BE THERE!

Valenthesial

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2009, 11:09:19 am »
Isn't Suspira's hair green and Mary's hair purple?  *shrug*

I think I've already answered it above.
Brion never made an official coloring for any of those, nor stated what should be the hair color (as far as I know! correct me if I'm wrong)
so different people coloring the same characters could interpret their look differently.

look at the alternate colorings available on the bottom of the page at:
http://www.flipsidecomics.com/comic.php?i=189
http://www.flipsidecomics.com/comic.php?i=251
http://www.flipsidecomics.com/comic.php?i=391
http://www.flipsidecomics.com/comic.php?i=319
http://www.flipsidecomics.com/comic.php?i=669

Are they all bad because they use a different color? :)

If you don't like my chosen colors, let me know! I can change them (obviously) and try something a bit different (but I sincerely think Suspiria with green hair looks horrible :P)

Valenthesial

« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2009, 11:27:30 am »
A more conventional coloring:

Green & Purple hair colors:

Valenthesial

« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2009, 11:53:31 am »
And another version specifically for charles:

Valenthesial

« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2009, 02:03:36 pm »
I really believe that that specific banner is probably better in black and white, or at least mostly grey tones with colors only in the center panel.

As it would stand with colors, there would simply be too many, and it would simply be too confusing.  The composition (or any lack thereof that it may have) is not set up for those colors.

It would probably be easier to go into color with the picture if all of Brion's characters didn't have ~cRaAZy AnIMe haIR~ colors.

Ummm. perhaps you are right.
I never had anything against anime (quite the opposite), so looking at 10 different characters standing in a row, each of them having a crazy haircolor along with outrageously colorful outfit doesn't look bad to me... depends on the taste I suppose.

OK. Added shadows to attempt improving the overall quality:

1. Only center is colored version (according to Deatzh's idea):

2. Fully colored with added shadows / textures (And I think this time I permanently ruined poor Susperia's Hair):

3. Yet another crazy hair for Suspiria (hell her hair is hard to color)

Any constructive criticism / opinions?
« Last Edit: June 29, 2009, 03:59:44 pm by Valenthesial »

charles

• Harem Master
  • LAWNMOWER MASACRE
    • View Profile
    • google profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2009, 07:06:59 pm »
I like Suspira's hair in the last one.  She's in full spell casting mode there and it just has a very "energized" look about it.

TOTAL WIN!

akashayi

« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2009, 07:07:59 pm »
o.O; Wait a minute there.

Valenthesial

« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2009, 10:46:03 pm »
o.O; Wait a minute there.
I'm waiting... still waiting... still waiting... now would you please state your opinion? which of the designs you like the best, or are all of them awful so far and need fixing? :P

So then a lot of people coloring anime just have a terrible concept of color.  A lot of people doing digital art feel like it needs to be saturated as hell, too.  Doesn't make it 'right' when the masses do it.

I dunno, I guess the more you know about it, the more you can see what's wrong.  Also I'm photosensitive.  So bad color combos can, and have a tendency TO hurt my eyes.

Not that it matters.  I have it set to the sexy theme or whatever it is, so I still get to see the other banner.
...which has some good color choices by the way.

(Edit: My post probably sounds more aggressive than intended to, for which I apologize.)

Hey, No offense taken! I strictly asked for opinions and I appreciate the effort into writing them even if I might have different taste myself!
(I'm totally into bright crazily saturated colors)

The latest ones are slightly less crazily saturated I believe, with less offensive-to-the-eyes colors (bright saturated yellows were recolored).

Any other ideas on how to improve this?
Are the shadows for example on May's face any good? or do they look unnatural?
How do you like the "only the center colored" version? is it better in general than the fully colored one?
« Last Edit: June 29, 2009, 10:49:09 pm by Valenthesial »

Valenthesial

« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2009, 11:41:22 am »
Alright.
Yet another updated version.

1. Bern's scarf has been textured differently
2. Maytag basic skin hue was changed.
3. Maytag's lighting was smoothed and enhanced. (Especially the face and exposed shoulder areas)

« Last Edit: July 01, 2009, 12:07:15 pm by Valenthesial »

Chag4

• Kinky
  • PM of awkwardness
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2009, 06:40:28 pm »
Is loving it more and more. ^^
Maytag looks just about perfect now.
Though from what I have seen, I believe her left shoulder should be like the right, clothed, in white though, as the rest of her arm.
Of course, I don't really know the official version, but it would seem logical.
Also, if it was me, I would match the colour of the bells and her necklace. +I think the right half should be white.
Only my opinion though. I guess I would call it advise...
« Last Edit: July 01, 2009, 06:50:23 pm by Chag4 »
Just plodding along.

charles

• Harem Master
  • LAWNMOWER MASACRE
    • View Profile
    • google profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2009, 06:55:08 pm »
Hmmmm, You're showing the lightsorce on Maytag coming slightly from the right, so maybe give a little shade to the side of her left shoulder... ACTUALLY that left shoulder should either be covered in the sleeve or the right one should be bare as well shouldn't it? *shrug*

A slight hint of light on her upper cheek would also give a hint of the curve of her face and her upper cheek coming out a bit, or maybe a bit of a wider shadow on her chest from those bells.  Lipstick might be just a shade too dark also. But I love Suspira's energized hair.

Valenthesial

« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2009, 10:59:37 pm »
Hmmmm, You're showing the lightsorce on Maytag coming slightly from the right, so maybe give a little shade to the side of her left shoulder... ACTUALLY that left shoulder should either be covered in the sleeve or the right one should be bare as well shouldn't it? *shrug*
Umm. you are right about the lightsource, I'll see what I can do.
About the asymmetrical issue with her shoulders - I must have misinterpreted Brion's original B&W artwork here. I think the asymmetric version actually looks cute on her, but my main goal is indeed to cope with the original, so it'll be changed  ;)

A slight hint of light on her upper cheek would also give a hint of the curve of her face and her upper cheek coming out a bit, or maybe a bit of a wider shadow on her chest from those bells.  Lipstick might be just a shade too dark also. But I love Suspira's energized hair.
Will see what I can do with the lipstick hue to make it less red and more natural and about some lighting on the cheeks.
Thanks for your comment on Suspiria, she was hell to color. must have worked on that small right upper picture more time than I've worked on the rest of the image, rofl.

Quote from: Chag4
Also, if it was me, I would match the colour of the bells and her necklace. +I think the right half should be white.
- You seem to think the same as charles on the shoulder issue. Well, it seems it should be that way according to the original artwork, I've just noticed the thin black line from sleeve to neck, so I'll recolor it accordingly. Shame, it seems I wanted to expose a bit of skin on pretty Maytag :P
- I'll try some golden bells later today, will post it when I'm done.

Thank you for your comments!

charles

• Harem Master
  • LAWNMOWER MASACRE
    • View Profile
    • google profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2009, 11:06:48 pm »
Yeah, Umber commented when she saw Maytag in her new Jester suit that she liked how it showed off her shoulders a bit more than the old outfit (which is the one in the image)

http://www.flipsidecomics.com/comic.php?i=181  There's probably also an old colour picture somewhere in the beginning of the comic which shows it as well *shrug*

Valenthesial

« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2009, 04:12:39 am »

Alright! Added on this version:

- Color matched bells. (Even though I've checked Maytag's old outfit according to charle's suggestion, and it had gray bells and b&w collar. http://www.flipsidecomics.com/comic/book0/fs11titl.html I'm still unsure if to keep it golden, or to try matching the origin)

- Covered the shoulder with a sleeve of white cloth, and added shadows according to light source from the left.

- Wider shadows are now cast by the bells.

- Added some "reverse" lighting as in brightening the black cloth parts where it should be effected directly from light source on the left side of the image.
  This was mainly done to (in an attempt to) give a feeling that the black and the white cloth are made of similar material.

- Decreased saturation on the lipstick, making it less "strong" and a bit more natural.

charles

• Harem Master
  • LAWNMOWER MASACRE
    • View Profile
    • google profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2009, 04:19:55 am »
Mate. That beautiful.  the shading and lighting really do a goodjob.  I was going to suggest it around her breasts as well to give them some dimension but I think the suit is probably quite tight and might even drop those frills straight down *shrug*

Golden bells look pretty neat but up to you on what you think looks good.  I like the shading on them and the lips are pretty much spot on with that lighter shade.

Again, great work mate.

Valenthesial

« Reply #23 on: July 04, 2009, 09:21:04 am »
Ok,
I ran out of ideas on how to improve my first project, so for the time being this is the final version of the title:
#1 Forum Title recolored.

My new recoloring project is Chapter 13 Page 21 - the introduction of my all time favorite character - Suspiria.

#2 First thoughts & Color concept:

A plain or gradient background is only good for the basic concept, so I've started working on the back image, using Chapter 13 Page 20 as a reference - the road on the edge of Brahma.
If you're asking yourself: "What the hell is that yellow-green light, are they being abducted by aliens?" the answer is that I'm trying to reflect the light cast by the magical-energy-umbrella thingy above them (Which I assume have this kind of color, according to the smaller umbrella shown on http://www.flipsidecomics.com/comic.php?i=436) Still not sure if that light is a good idea or not.

#3 Background + some lighting:

As usual, would love hearing your thoughts & ideas on how to improve this one.
This is obviously not a completed piece just yet, so keep it in mind!  ;)

charles

• Harem Master
  • LAWNMOWER MASACRE
    • View Profile
    • google profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: July 04, 2009, 03:28:10 pm »
ooooh, I actually like the "strike-throgh" effect of the first one.  The Brahma background is good, but sometimes I like that dramatic "new characters" feel *lol*.  But I can see you improved the shading on the last one as well.

Her glowing Tat is amazing. Great work again.

Tropico

« Reply #25 on: July 04, 2009, 04:26:41 pm »

That actually hurts my eyes...

...WITH AWESOMENESS!! :D

Seriously though, pretty good. Very cool with the leg tat thing. Personally I'd go ahead and make Suspi a blonde though, that greenish thing going on in her hair doesn't do it for me at all.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2009, 04:29:26 pm by Tropico »

Valenthesial

« Reply #26 on: July 04, 2009, 04:35:21 pm »
Personally I'd go ahead and make Suspi a blonde though, that greenish thing going on in her hair doesn't do it for me at all.
I truly agree. However last time I tried making her a blond, people complained to me that her hair is supposed to be green  ;)
Well, I might just give it another try as a blond Inverness.

Thank you both for the compliments. Anything regarding the color selection besides her hair?
Kin isn't shown colored anywhere as far as I know, so I've just experimented with him a bit.

charles

• Harem Master
  • LAWNMOWER MASACRE
    • View Profile
    • google profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: July 04, 2009, 05:00:14 pm »
HAHA. Super Saiyan Suspira!

I must admit, I don't like the green you've used but I do like the green you used in my signature.  That might go down well *shrug*

These are all EXCELLENT colour jobs.  Great work!

Valenthesial

« Reply #28 on: July 04, 2009, 10:59:31 pm »
You know, I'll say it.  They're really not excellent color jobs.  They are a pain to look at since they use overly saturated colors that are completely unnecessary, and the abuse of filters is just downright annoying.

Brion's linework isn't that difficult to color, but when you really have no clue what you're doing, it ends up looking bad, with artifacts showing where artifacts should not be.

The backgrounds in the last couple pictures are, once again, oversaturated.  They're terribly distracting from the characters, and thus the actual focus of the picture.

You want to do art?  Make your own stuff, stop trying to color other peoples' stuff, especially without asking them first, because that's just plain rude.  It's really obvious that you don't understand what you're doing, and that you need to sit down and study the stuff.

I might be irritated because you completely blew off what I told you, then you went and pulled this garbage.  Just, no.  Knock it off.

I'm afraid I'm not longer interested in your offensive comments as of today.
If Brion is offended by me coloring his artwork, he can and would remove them. His forum, his rules. I specifically sent him my coloring in a private message as of to make sure he noticed. He didn't seem to like the coloring job, but he seem to have appreciated my attempt.

If people do not like my works, they can either: 1. try to help me improve by commenting 2. ignore my thread completely - as you should.

Coloring  is an art of itself, as most people would tell you. I never claimed to have done the original artwork, and I downright STATE every time it is not originally mine, but rather my coloring. I also state every time I'm just an amateur starting at this.

If you have an issue, sue me. (And yes, you can attempt to do that ONLY if I color your artwork, which I do not intend to - because I do not like it nor you enough to do so).

Valenthesial

« Reply #29 on: July 05, 2009, 02:40:03 am »
Deatzh, I do not believe that I've done anything to offend you or to cause such a reaction and foul language on your part.
Having or lacking a spine has nothing to do with wanting to make a civilized discussion.

There is also no need to agree with everyone regarding taste, nor start flame wars over it.
Please steer out of my way and I'll stay clear of yours.

Regards,
Valenthesial.