Author Topic: Covers  (Read 6206 times)

CrystalDragonSpaceMarine

• Eternal Lover
  • Show me your enemies.
    • View Profile
    • Email
Covers
« on: May 05, 2009, 04:24:30 pm »
What are your opinions on them? Do you like the idea of them? Do all covers suck? Are even the passable ones all ultimately inferior to the originals? Have you ever heard a cover that you think surpassed the original?

Discuss here the best and worst covers you've heard.
I believe that covers should keep the original feel of the song, while perhaps adding a new perspective. (for instance, I like the metal versions of Imperial March, since the heavier instrumentation adds a more brutal feel, but also fits the piece itself).

I'm going to specifically talk about a few Disney song covers:
Basically ALL of them suck. It's sickening. But my pick for worst is "Poor Unfortunate Souls" by Jonas Brothers. I mean, seriously, what were they thinking? I HATE it when people say they actually prefer those pop versions! Christ, what is it with kids these days? There's more out there than pop, peeps. Jazz? Yeah, forget it.

Another one is "I wanna be like you". While I'm not partial to Smash Mouth version, it's aeons better than the Jonas one because they actually kept in the scatting.

So, what's your take?

Oddball

• Nymphomaniac!!
  • Me the 13th Duke of Wymbourne are they quite mad!
    • MSN Messenger - oddballsco@hotmail.co.uk
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - oddball24sco
    • View Profile
    • Myspace Profile
    • Email
Re: Covers
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2009, 04:28:11 pm »
simple answer: Hate covers of songs and remakes of films.
What good is dreaming it if you don't actually do it?.

Selan

• Heavenly Orgasmic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2009, 04:32:57 pm »
Some covers are nice IMO:

Evanescence covers korn

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MnZK-pJq1Ps

The beautiful Dutch singer Do covers a Brian Adams song

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLlfpm5Y7Nw

Better known as the dance version.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FyJ_KOvEt78

I know making a danceversion of songs is lame.. but this one was a huge hit, i think around the world.
Mostly covers are concidered a cheap attempt at scoring a hit soneg with used material, but... if done right.. i'm fine with it.

Edit: got a better link
« Last Edit: May 05, 2009, 04:41:08 pm by Selan »

CrystalDragonSpaceMarine

• Eternal Lover
  • Show me your enemies.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2009, 10:26:37 pm »
Here's an excellent Italian cover of "Everybody wants to be a Cat"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ds_ZZDM8RmE

Hans

• Rose Petal Acolyte
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2009, 01:08:01 am »
In geeral I prefer originals. But there are some exceptions. (As always: All generalizations are wrong.) It is a plus, when the artist doesn't try to copy the original, but really makes his own version.

In a broader sense of "cover", there are songs that old, that we don't have original versions. All classical orchestras could be regarded as "cover bands". There are lots of classical music, operas and similar, which i do like.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2009, 02:17:01 pm by Hans »

akashayi

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2009, 01:20:44 am »
Like original songs, it really depends.

They can be good or bad.

CrystalDragonSpaceMarine

• Eternal Lover
  • Show me your enemies.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2009, 12:05:13 pm »
In geeral I prefer originals. But there are some exceptions. (As always: All generalizations are wrong.) It is a plus, when the artist doesn't try to copy the original, but really makes his own version.

In a broader wense of "cover", there are songs that old, that we don't have original versions. All classical orchestras could be regarded as "cover bands". There are lots of classical music, operas and similar, which i do like.

I'd consider that different though. That's more like putting on a production of a Shakespearean play, rather than trying to remake a movie, to keep the theatre analogy.

Though some of those still have what you might call "definitive" versions though. Take Tennessee Ernie's rendition of "Sixteen Tons". 

RoninAngel

• Eternal Lover
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2009, 02:34:57 pm »
What are your opinions on them? Do you like the idea of them? Do all covers suck? Are even the passable ones all ultimately inferior to the originals? Have you ever heard a cover that you think surpassed the original?

Discuss here the best and worst covers you've heard.
I believe that covers should keep the original feel of the song, while perhaps adding a new perspective. (for instance, I like the metal versions of Imperial March, since the heavier instrumentation adds a more brutal feel, but also fits the piece itself).

I'm going to specifically talk about a few Disney song covers:
Basically ALL of them suck. It's sickening. But my pick for worst is "Poor Unfortunate Souls" by Jonas Brothers. I mean, seriously, what were they thinking? I HATE it when people say they actually prefer those pop versions! Christ, what is it with kids these days? There's more out there than pop, peeps. Jazz? Yeah, forget it.

Another one is "I wanna be like you". While I'm not partial to Smash Mouth version, it's aeons better than the Jonas one because they actually kept in the scatting.

So, what's your take?

The Jonas brothers are Disney stooges, created for the sole perpoise of selling sex to little girls. Don't expect any creative integrity from them.  :-\
I got 99 problems but a nymphomaniac jester girl ain't one.

Pozf

• Nymphomaniac!!
  • What is a man?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2009, 01:08:45 pm »
It depends greatly on the cover. I don't mind the fact that it is a cover in itself... Unless it is way more popular than the original, i.e Soundgarden's Big Dumb Sex. I tell somebody what song I'm listening to and they go "Oh you mean the GnR song?" and then I have to argue with them that they're wrong and eventually show them the CD case before they say "I'm pretty sure GnR version came out before that"

That may have to do with peoples idiocy more than the song being a cover though... [/rant]
'Science is on the march. Don't get in its way.'

Razzly

• Erotic
  • Contrast.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2009, 02:00:20 pm »
I think covers can be awesome.
James Blunt sounds like a dying pig, but when Diana Vickers sang a cover of his "carry you home" I melted.
Winner of Brion Foulke's "cute little panda"-award.
"Mutta rukous on vain mutina tuulessa, ei sitä kukaan kuule..."

Toga

« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2009, 03:32:52 pm »
I say it depends on how a songs done. My best example o this is Hallelujah by Leonard Cohen (supposedly the song goes back further than him but i cannae be arsed tracking that far)

Rufus Wainwright and Jeff Buckley managed to perfectly encapsulate that song with they're versions. However, that Alexandra bitch from the X Factor murdered it the spat on it's grave.

Churba

• Passion Player
  • The Fresh Prince of Leeds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2009, 04:13:21 pm »
Fatboy slim covers The joker, with kittens.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xgk9ouBuj-4

No.Na.

• Red Light Worker
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Illusionslostone
    • View Profile
    • Deviant art
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2009, 10:57:31 pm »
I'd have to say it depends on the songs that are covered and if the band can pull off a cover of the song. Since when a bands does a cover they have to take an original and add a personal touch to it, which may or may not work depending on the song and what the musician does to it. the feeling of the song can get lost, or the new interpretaion could be weaker than the original.

I personally have yet to enjoy a cover of the cure's lovesong even tho everyone and their grandma does one. Even musicians i like have covered the song and i hated it, 311, manson, jack off jil, voltaire, all did a cover of lovesong but they all don't feel right to me. but other songs by them come out not to bad, like Jack off jill's cover of I touch myself  keeps the nice beat and feel of the song while in their own style, and Manson did a "this is halloween" cover for leno a while back that wasn't too bad. (even tho i don't much like most of the covers he does)

as for disney covering songs It's really gotta stop they haven't actually employed a non actor "musician" in such a long time and every time they cover a song angel most likely gets herpies.

JOJ I touch myself http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2t40Y80wr50
In the three fates we trust