• Harem Master
  • LAWNMOWER MASACRE
    • MSN Messenger - charles_wilkinson@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • google profile
    • Email
LOVE
« on: May 02, 2009, 04:21:33 pm »
Thats right. This is the thread for discussion and debate about that funny little word with so much meaning and significance across the English speaking world

:-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*
LOVE
 :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*

As opposed to the familial and platonic love, we're focusing on the romantic love. So argue away as to it's meaning, necessity, significance and even what constitutes true love as opposed to the infatuations, crushes, desires and much more.
CLAN OF THE CATS IS MAKING A COMEBACK! JUNE 8th.  BE THERE!

Oddball

• Nymphomaniac!!
  • Me the 13th Duke of Wymbourne are they quite mad!
    • MSN Messenger - oddballsco@hotmail.co.uk
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - oddball24sco
    • View Profile
    • Myspace Profile
    • Email
Re: LOVE
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2009, 04:22:34 pm »
Sorry chief had to use Wikipedia for that one  :-\
What good is dreaming it if you don't actually do it?.

CrystalDragonSpaceMarine

• Eternal Lover
  • Show me your enemies.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2009, 04:44:54 pm »
I believe that "love" has lost a lot of value as a word. Everybody's trying to argue what it does or doesn't or should mean.

It would be a lot better if people would stop focusing on find a definition for the word, and start finding words for the other definitions.

CrystalDragonSpaceMarine

• Eternal Lover
  • Show me your enemies.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2009, 08:14:57 pm »
You want to focus on romantic love only?  Then true love cannot fit under that description.  True/mature love encompasses more sorts of 'love' than romantic love does.

I don't want to say it is all encompassing (it may be, I do not know), but it is what contains however many types of love there are, whereas romantic love is just one of... those... ones...

I don't think I'm making sense.

Romantic love is a category under true love.  Maybe that one works the way I want it to?  I DON'T KNOW, IS SOMEONE GETTING ME HERE?

Quote from: CDSM
It would be a lot better if people would stop focusing on find a definition for the word, and start finding words for the other definitions.
ALSO THIS

I'm...not quite so sure what you are saying. Do mean true love would contain romantic love, as well as lot more additional feelings, but romantic love by itself couldn't get to that level?

CrystalDragonSpaceMarine

• Eternal Lover
  • Show me your enemies.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2009, 11:10:46 pm »
Perhaps so. Again, there's a barrier of definitions. Some might say it's possible to classify a love as 'romantic' even if the sexual aspect doesn't really figure in.

Xshu

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2009, 02:52:44 am »
But if this sort of True Love contains romantic love, wouldn't that just make True Love into Romantic Love+, or Super Romantic Love? I mean, if you mix a bunch of drinks together and one of them is alcoholic, the drink is now alcoholic no matter how many non-alcoholic drinks you add to it. The qualities of the other varieties of love (besides parental love) all amplify romantic love and make it that much more romantic.

So: could you find true love with multiple people? Would you want to if you could? Is it even possible?

charles

• Harem Master
  • LAWNMOWER MASACRE
    • View Profile
    • google profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2009, 06:18:38 am »
You want to focus on romantic love only?  Then true love cannot fit under that description.  True/mature love encompasses more sorts of 'love' than romantic love does.
*meh* I figured romantic love was what you were concentrating on in the comic area so I put it to that one just to focus the topic a little.  I then added in that we may wish to distinguish "true love" (or maybe it's best to say "true romantic love") from other feelings such as crushes, desires and much more that we might associate as signs of love but not necessarily what some might call "true romantic love".

It wasn't really an attempt to make a point or argument, just to help focus the discussion and give some direction on what could be debated.

Heck, if you want to discuss the entire, broad meaning of love, let me know and I'll remove the bit about a focus on romantic love from the first post.  I couldn't really care less.

RoninAngel

• Eternal Lover
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2009, 12:26:13 pm »
Love to me means different things to different people. I think it's weird we use one word to mean so many things and then expect others to know what we're talking about. Then, we act as if the other person means exactly what we mean when we say "love" and the conciet goes on...

Just sayin'.
I got 99 problems but a nymphomaniac jester girl ain't one.

Razzly

• Erotic
  • Contrast.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2009, 03:57:16 pm »
What's with the "true" and "romantic" thing? Love is love, and it means a deep emotional caring/connection/whateveryawannacallit for another person, caused by chemicals in your brain. End of story. How do you know what's "true" love anyway? The amount of said chemicals?  ;)
Winner of Brion Foulke's "cute little panda"-award.
"Mutta rukous on vain mutina tuulessa, ei sitä kukaan kuule..."

RoninAngel

• Eternal Lover
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2009, 04:17:25 pm »
What's with the "true" and "romantic" thing? Love is love, and it means a deep emotional caring/connection/whateveryawannacallit for another person, caused by chemicals in your brain. End of story. How do you know what's "true" love anyway? The amount of said chemicals?  ;)

Gosh that was un-poetic.  :(

Razzly

• Erotic
  • Contrast.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2009, 04:23:26 pm »

Gosh that was un-poetic.  :(

Don't worry Ronin, in real life I'm the kind of girl who wants cuddles and love and cries all the time. :'D I love my love-chemicals!
Winner of Brion Foulke's "cute little panda"-award.
"Mutta rukous on vain mutina tuulessa, ei sitä kukaan kuule..."

Malki

« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2009, 04:42:45 pm »

As much as I support this view (along with "every action has an equal and opposite reaction" and "every given point in time is a direct result of the one before it"), I think it doesn't really fit this debate. This topic is for discussing the 'philosophic' (for lack of a better word) side of the word Love.

I personally never spent any time thinking about this topic much. Especially "romantic/true love". I guess that's just because I'm a teen and don't really care much past getting a girlfriend.
Actually, platonic love is something that speaks to me a lot more. I haven't spent much time thinking about it, but as opposed to romantic movies (which make me fall asleep), some stories about love between brothers have actually made me shed tears (FMA being one of 'em). It usually happens around the parts where one brother sacrifices something for the good of the other, or when one brother wants/tries really hard to do something for his brother, but fails. I just can't help but identify with the need to go to great lengths to help a sibling (I have two brothers).

CrystalDragonSpaceMarine

• Eternal Lover
  • Show me your enemies.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2009, 04:43:16 pm »

Ah, but do the chemicals cause the feelings, or do the feelings cause the chemicals?  ;)

RoninAngel

• Eternal Lover
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2009, 05:11:24 pm »
I'm not saying it can't be defined, I'm just saying that "love" means different things to different people and this leads to misuderstandings sometimes.

I love your love chemicals too Razzly.  :P

But I don't think chemicals are all that's going on here.... :-\

CrystalDragonSpaceMarine

• Eternal Lover
  • Show me your enemies.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2009, 05:37:06 pm »
Well, there's electricity as well. Bzzap.

Sidralma

• Slave Groupie
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2009, 06:22:18 pm »
If any of you have taken social psychology you may have come across Robert Sternberg & his triangular theory of love. Granted, like most ideas it isn't perfect but it's my favorite breakdown/view of love.

I stole this spiffy diagram from Wikipedia's article on this theory where you can read about it more indepth.

Each side of the triangle is a broad category that most relationships fall under. I think of true love as the center of that triangle. It's got a fair bit of everything, in relative proportion. Granted relationships aren't like cakes. You don't get to just buy all the ingredients, let it bake & enjoy lovey dovey bliss the rest of your life. Hence the need to not leave relationships on autopilot & to work to make sure that passion doesn't totally die out or that intimacy gets lost. But to extend my food metaphor I think there are some people who have a much bigger taste for some of those ingredients than others. So, um, yeah. I see true love as those three traits combined.
We're all living in Plato's cave, and we've papered the walls with fictions.

CrystalDragonSpaceMarine

• Eternal Lover
  • Show me your enemies.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2009, 06:47:26 pm »
Oh, you humans and your need for diagrams to explain yourselves.

CrystalDragonSpaceMarine

• Eternal Lover
  • Show me your enemies.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2009, 09:32:50 pm »
But it makes sense and is awesome and STUFF.

Despite not being perfect, of course, since 'love' is such a broad thing.

Like my sexy shoulders.

BROAD SHOULDERS ANYONE?

Man, why you always gotta yell when you come into the room like that...

I'LL TAKE YOUR BROAD SHOULDERS!

((yeah, that was my Deatzh impersonation everybody,

WASN'T IT GREAT?))

:P

RoninAngel

• Eternal Lover
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2009, 01:39:02 pm »
The love I most respect is the kind you get just from being with someone for a long time, and putting up with thier bullshit. Where you become like "I honestly don't know what life would be like without this person."  :D

charles

• Harem Master
  • LAWNMOWER MASACRE
    • View Profile
    • google profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2009, 03:48:49 pm »
Answer: Probably better  :o

RoninAngel

• Eternal Lover
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2009, 04:43:17 pm »
Speak for yourself.  :-\
I get depressed if I'm alone too much.  :(

akashayi

« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2009, 05:14:19 pm »
Could take the annoyingly postmodern approach and say that it is what you make of it. :P

does it really matter?

RoninAngel

• Eternal Lover
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2009, 05:23:47 pm »
Speaking of Posmodern Love; Have you guys ever watched Me and You and Everyone We Know?!?!

I love this movie! Bursting with gushy goodness!  :-*
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Me_and_You_and_Everyone_We_Know

CrystalDragonSpaceMarine

• Eternal Lover
  • Show me your enemies.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2009, 05:51:10 pm »
Speak for yourself.  :-\
I get depressed if I'm alone too much.  :(

I get depressed if I'm alone too much...

But I get even *more* depressed around other people.

RoninAngel

• Eternal Lover
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2009, 05:52:40 pm »
How very emo of you.  ::)

CrystalDragonSpaceMarine

• Eternal Lover
  • Show me your enemies.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2009, 08:28:28 pm »

Hey, if you had to be surrounded with inferior beings all day, you'd feel a bit down too.

UmberIsSexy

• Erotic
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2009, 01:28:06 am »
God damn this thread moved too fast...you people suck.

:D

wow it's late...

RoninAngel

• Eternal Lover
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: May 06, 2009, 08:25:19 am »

Hey, if you had to be surrounded with inferior beings all day, you'd feel a bit down too.
That's why I'm selective in the company I keep. And if your refering to humanity in genral, they're not going to change so may as well change your perspective.  :-\

Oddball

• Nymphomaniac!!
  • Me the 13th Duke of Wymbourne are they quite mad!
    • MSN Messenger - oddballsco@hotmail.co.uk
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - oddball24sco
    • View Profile
    • Myspace Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: May 06, 2009, 08:32:04 am »
hud on we suck? WTF?
What good is dreaming it if you don't actually do it?.

RoninAngel

• Eternal Lover
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: May 06, 2009, 09:07:44 am »
Engrish please!  ;)