Author Topic: Chapter 21: Discussion  (Read 165444 times)

Hans

• Rose Petal Acolyte
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Chapter 21: Discussion
« Reply #690 on: June 26, 2009, 01:36:39 am »
How do the know May as Jester Girl? Well, maybe Moss told them.

Enkida

• Collared Pet
    • View Profile
    • Baldur's Gate Portraits
« Reply #691 on: June 26, 2009, 04:17:17 am »
Nice colouring on the cover!  Although I now think this x300%:

2 kids = no more comics, but you can still find me doing BG portraits now and then

Trombonefellow

• Rose Petal Acolyte
  • Push Ki
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Trombonefellow
    • View Profile
    • Twilight Key
    • Email
« Reply #692 on: June 26, 2009, 06:12:44 am »

I have a boner...*plays a song*

Dragonizer

« Reply #693 on: June 26, 2009, 08:22:28 am »
Sooo, how 'bout them evil twins, eh? Anybody got any guesses why they, um, captured May and Bern?

DragonPowered

« Reply #694 on: June 26, 2009, 09:29:30 am »
Well that was completely unexpected.  May and Bern trapped in a scroll, no clothes, no weapons.  Just what does one do to pass the time while trapped in a scroll?  And being rolled up like that, does it make your hair curly?  I guess Bern will be alright, since she's already kinda flat...

savagesparrow

« Reply #695 on: June 26, 2009, 09:38:28 am »

Nice catch! Him and Pygar from Barbarella were the inspiration for the character, so I colored him to match ^^ And thanks guys!!

--sparrow

DeviousKit

« Reply #696 on: June 26, 2009, 09:48:05 am »
Sooo, how 'bout them evil twins, eh? Anybody got any guesses why they, um, captured May and Bern?

To perform terrible acts of experimentation of course!
Maytag could stand to lose a leg while she's at it.
*points at lame pun*

Razzly

• Erotic
  • Contrast.
    • View Profile
« Reply #697 on: June 26, 2009, 11:02:16 am »
New page: AUUUUGHHHH!
Winner of Brion Foulke's "cute little panda"-award.
"Mutta rukous on vain mutina tuulessa, ei sitä kukaan kuule..."

Valenthesial

« Reply #698 on: June 26, 2009, 11:02:35 am »
Well that was completely unexpected.  May and Bern trapped in a scroll, no clothes, no weapons.  Just what does one do to pass the time while trapped in a scroll?  And being rolled up like that, does it make your hair curly?  I guess Bern will be alright, since she's already kinda flat...

A few things I figured (or at least think I've figured) so far after reading chapter 21, page 30:

[walloftext]

1. Those scrolls have been shown at least 3 times in a past as a teleportation method. So it's most likely the case this time as well.
Meaning: they aren't locked literally inside a scroll, but rather been transported to someplace else, most likely behind bars.

2. Having no weapons is only in Bern's case. Maytag have her dimensional bag with her at all times, meaning an ample supply of daggers, grenades and various merchandise which should be useful for escaping a conventional prison cell.

3. The question about who the culprit is:
- As was mentioned previously in this thread (before the rape&alcohol debate) glyph's eyes seems to be painted differently.
- Moreover, glyph doesn't know (as far as we can tell) those two new and mysterious "associates" of Moss, so if one of them was setting the portal behind the door - I assume that the other one disguised herself as glyph, rather than it being the actual glyph (can't be 100% on this, but I'm pretty positive).

4. Why and for what would they kidnap them?
- Mentioned earlier on the conversation of Moss with his "associates": "the things you do are a lot worse than spying... I never do anything to anyone that I haven't already done to myself!". Too cryptic to tell for the time being, but relatively speaking it could be worse.
- She might be what they are looking for? someone who can resist spells (enchantments in particular)?
- Moss's involvement is obvious. they couldn't have known Maytag as a Jester without his knowledge.
- Moss's agenda is reaching the 4th level of sorcery and one can assume he's still seeking it with his associates.
- Moss already mentioned he's going to visit/help his uncle back in book 0. It would be interesting to know what has transpired since then and how he got to know those two, maybe there is a remote connection to why they are seeking Maytag or her unique abilities.

5. Weird trap. Rape attempt or capture attempt?
They weren't sure that Maytag would resist the enchantment. So what they were really trying to achieve here?
If she resisted, she would get captured. if she did not, they would - well, have sex? seems they have unreasonable motives.
I suppose a trap like setting a portal on the curtained doorway would work only if your target is in a rush, but there SHOULD be better ways to scare your target than try to rape it... At least imo :)

[/walloftext]

Tropico

« Reply #699 on: June 26, 2009, 11:14:17 am »
I don't understand why the twin would have needed to disguise herself as Glyph to do this.

I mean what possible point is there to being Glyph in the whole scheme? She could have just as easily been herself and the same thing would have happened.

Also, him knowing to call May "jester girl" points me towards thinking that this IS in fact the real Glyph and that he's been a part of this all along. Maybe in cahoots with the twins or maybe in cahoots with the entire inn staff (remember how he defended the inn as not being so weird and perfectly OK for them to sleep in it! aha!).

Valenthesial

« Reply #700 on: June 26, 2009, 11:35:39 am »
I don't understand why the twin would have needed to disguise herself as Glyph to do this.

I mean what possible point is there to being Glyph in the whole scheme? She could have just as easily been herself and the same thing would have happened.

Also, him knowing to call May "jester girl" points me towards thinking that this IS in fact the real Glyph and that he's been a part of this all along. Maybe in cahoots with the twins or maybe in cahoots with the entire inn staff (remember how he defended the inn as not being so weird and perfectly OK for them to sleep in it! aha!).

Well, I don't find any errors in your logic. It still could be the real glyph.

However, I seem to be carried away by the conspiracy theory about glyph:
I'm surprised no one has said anything about Glyph's eyes.

Normal Glyph's eyes:

More normal Glyph's eyes:

Glyph eyes now:

Twin's eyes:

Another justification:
In the last panel, "Glyph" said: "That jester girl, Maytag was her name...? she resisted..." implying that he can barely remember her name.

Notice that in the previous chapter Nagelring with the truth spell, he had plenty opportunities to catch her name as she and Bern were busy confessing their love for each other over and over again :P So I really doubt that he's not even sure about her name at this point and knows her more as a Jester than as Maytag.
If this is indeed the real glyph - it must mean he's not just blond, but also really really dumb. Seems he can't remember a girl's name, only how she looks when naked.

I still think it's a disguised twin. Not sure about the reasoning behind looking like glyph. Maybe for framing him / turning Bern&May against their only source for fast transportation to Eschellon / turning them against the Phalanx. It's not impossible that the twins and/or Moss are somewhat opposed to the Phalanx/Conclave.

Brion Foulke

• Administrator
  • Experimental
    • AOL Instant Messenger - flipsider99
    • View Profile
    • www.flipsidecomics.com
    • Email
« Reply #701 on: June 26, 2009, 12:35:21 pm »
There has been a change to the dialog of today's page's last panel.  Please disregard the old version.

Valenthesial

« Reply #702 on: June 26, 2009, 12:52:55 pm »
There has been a change to the dialog of today's page's last panel.  Please disregard the old version.

oki!
I this easily leads to the fact that it is not Glyph, but rather the other twin.
However, it can also mean that Moss isn't in league with them, as he didn't tell them her name / about her being a jester.

Keep up the good work Brion! I'm impatiently waiting to see the next page :)

Foof

« Reply #703 on: June 26, 2009, 09:27:34 pm »
Oooh, Glyph's a bad boy.
Now, I don't see why it can't be Glyph.  We don't know him very well, he did just come in.  Not to mention...it was his idea to come to the Bed and Breakfast!

...But then I looked down and saw Princess Zeal's post.  You're RIGHT!  Good eye. >3  It must be! Those seductresses!

Tropico

« Reply #704 on: June 28, 2009, 09:05:43 am »
...But then I looked down and saw Princess Zeal's post.  You're RIGHT!  Good eye. >3  It must be! Those seductresses!

Yeah, but why?? Why did she need to be Glyph? Looking like Glyph accomplished nothing! She could have been anyone (short of Moss maybe) and had the exact same thing happen.

In fact it's better because it's MORE likely that they would run away from a stranger than from someone they know (and actually now that I mention it... why DID Maytag run from Glyph? She knows him... she should have been like "Hey Glyph WTF man, stop" or something).
« Last Edit: June 28, 2009, 09:09:52 am by Tropico »

Valenthesial

« Reply #705 on: June 28, 2009, 10:03:59 am »

Yeah, but why?? Why did she need to be Glyph? Looking like Glyph accomplished nothing! She could have been anyone (short of Moss maybe) and had the exact same thing happen. In fact it's better because it's MORE likely that they would run away from a stranger than from someone they know

That is indeed an interesting question...
my ideas:
- She may have believed it is needed to be a male rather than female to scare them away.
- She may have wanted to frame Glyph (as to sever the link between them and the Phalanx, which is most likely opposed to Moss/Twins). Note that they WANT something from Maytag and think she might be useful.
- The fact that they wanted to kidnap them and think that having spell resistance raises their worth, could lead to their involvement with the Thin Man and/or Thin Man like experiments on girls. That is still a bit a far shot at the time being.

Quote from: Tropico
(and actually now that I mention it... why DID Maytag run from Glyph? She knows him... she should have been like "Hey Glyph WTF man, stop" or something).
He clearly meant war at that point. Maytag isn't the type to say "hey stop!" to someone who tries to rape/murder Bern. She would either throw her daggers at him, or thinking that she is in a disadvantage would try to escape.

Maytag knew at that point that glyph (she only thinks it's glyph though) is a powerful sorcerer and went far enough as in to cast spells on them. Saying "hey wtf stop" would just be a waste of time when someone attacks you. May proved in the past that she knows her way around combat/immediate-threat situations and wouldn't use any unnecessary actions which could have harsh reprecautions on someone as important to her as Bernadette.

Tropico

« Reply #706 on: June 28, 2009, 03:43:10 pm »
- She may have wanted to frame Glyph (as to sever the link between them and the Phalanx, which is most likely opposed to Moss/Twins). Note that they WANT something from Maytag and think she might be useful.
- The fact that they wanted to kidnap them and think that having spell resistance raises their worth, could lead to their involvement with the Thin Man and/or Thin Man like experiments on girls. That is still a bit a far shot at the time being.

Ah, I had not considered either of these... very interesting...

He clearly meant war at that point. Maytag isn't the type to say "hey stop!" to someone who tries to rape/murder Bern. She would either throw her daggers at him, or thinking that she is in a disadvantage would try to escape.

Well, he clearly meant war because -we- saw him step into the water with the all the intention, but she didn't see that... I was assuming she'd think he was also just under a spell. But on the other hand it is logical to conclude that if Bern is under a spell and making out with Glyph, that it was Glyph who cast the spell in the first place, yes (especially after the cart incident).

RoninAngel

• Eternal Lover
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #707 on: June 28, 2009, 08:57:39 pm »
So Maytag and Bernedette are captured!
Maybe this is Crest and Suspira's chance to actually, I don't know... do something! :D

YAY! EXTRAINIOUS SUPPORTING CAST!  ;) :P :D
I got 99 problems but a nymphomaniac jester girl ain't one.

charles

• Harem Master
  • LAWNMOWER MASACRE
    • MSN Messenger - charles_wilkinson@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • google profile
    • Email
« Reply #708 on: June 28, 2009, 09:58:45 pm »
@RoninAngel: That could be good. Although I suspect it will focus on Maytag and her ability to resist mind-altering spells.  There was that theory about enchantments on the mind, deteriorating due to the mind's link to magick, so maybe Maytag's mind is more developed in this ability or there's more to it that she's stumbled upon or been blessed with.

Alternatively, she could simply be more skilled simply because of a greater familiarity with mind-altering magicks (her own aphrodisiac potions, etc).

If we do focus on Suspira and Crest then I guess Suspira should be fairly well recovered after that rest, so I can't imagine she'd be too drained to pull some powerful magicks.  I still haven't seen any magick from the twins.  The possession of Glyph is done with potion (probably added to his sandwiches) while the portal map could easily be something enchanted.  *meh* It wouldn't surprise me if Crest and Suspira simply sleep through this whole event *LOL*
CLAN OF THE CATS IS MAKING A COMEBACK! JUNE 8th.  BE THERE!

Foof

« Reply #709 on: June 29, 2009, 12:36:25 am »
My answer would have been pretty close to what Valenthesial said.  About framing Glyph and all.  Besides, it was someone they knew and the girls probably assumed Crest didn't look like the kind of guy to do that.  They're evil twins, I'm sure they can smell confidence...and fear.  And sandwiches.

charles

• Harem Master
  • LAWNMOWER MASACRE
    • MSN Messenger - charles_wilkinson@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • google profile
    • Email
« Reply #710 on: June 29, 2009, 01:44:41 am »
Intermission Maytag has her left arm! YAY! *lol*

Go Crest! You can do it boyo!
CLAN OF THE CATS IS MAKING A COMEBACK! JUNE 8th.  BE THERE!

Tropico

« Reply #711 on: June 29, 2009, 06:18:09 am »
LOL! That Crest thing is HILARIOUS :D

Even funnier cause I can totally picture "real" Crest thinking and doing something like that in the real comic.

Tropico

« Reply #712 on: June 29, 2009, 06:25:01 am »
It wouldn't surprise me if Crest and Suspira simply sleep through this whole event *LOL*

No..! I'd really like Suspiria to come into the spotlight again in this next cap... I think she's an awesome character for how "so flawed yet with potential" she is.

Crest, I can't see doing anything but providing a "You go girl!" squad to Suspi so, either way.

If this is in fact a disguised twin posing as Glyph, then it would be cool to see a Glyph/Suspiria detective-duo sort of thing.

And of course Moss could very well decide to help May from their history together, which would also be cool... Moss is another Suspiria-like character who is great to watch.

The only thing I'm -not- hoping for is "yet another Maytag sits down and explains how amazingly free-thinking and liberal minded she is" sequence...
« Last Edit: June 29, 2009, 06:30:45 am by Tropico »

Valenthesial

« Reply #713 on: June 29, 2009, 10:00:56 am »

No..! I'd really like Suspiria to come into the spotlight again in this next cap... I think she's an awesome character for how "so flawed yet with potential" she is.

Crest, I can't see doing anything but providing a "You go girl!" squad to Suspi so, either way.

She's my favorite char :P
Well, to be honest, she is rather unstable emotionally at the moment. You might be forgetting that not much time has passed since Kin got killed. Crest might be insecure, but he seems sensible enough, unlike a character I truly hate known as "Glyph".

I guess I would bet exactly on the Crest being the "You go girl!" squad to Inverness and those two actually TRYING to do something, Glyph too uncaring to bother (or maybe trying to hit on the Twins, as he seems to be doing on any female character so far),
while the end result ofc will be Maytag saving the day, not anyone else :D

But hey, that's how it should be! Maytag seemed to be capable of doing things that level 3 sorcerers are barely achieve, with just her strength of personality.

I hoping we can get more of Suspiria + advancement on the mainplot (aka what the heck Mr. thin man is up to? trying to make the perfect killing machine in order to do what?).

Kanazaka

• Hot Streaker
    • View Profile
« Reply #714 on: August 12, 2009, 02:11:46 pm »
Do you think the evil twins might be bisexual?  It's of no importance, but I just got that vibe from them.  And I think that the seduction might have just been a ploy to capture Bernadette and Maytag, with no rape intended or forthcoming.  Overall, good chapter, but I'd like to see more battle sequences in the next one  :).

SAGG

• Red Light Worker
    • View Profile
« Reply #715 on: August 14, 2009, 01:14:08 pm »
Suspiria, why are you asking Crest what the hosts are like? He's just as much of a stranger as you are.  ???

Hans

• Rose Petal Acolyte
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #716 on: August 16, 2009, 08:07:57 am »
Suspiria, why are you asking Crest what the hosts are like? He's just as much of a stranger as you are.  ???
Crest already met the hosts, Suspiria not. She was asleep at that time.

Yahappynow

« Reply #717 on: August 16, 2009, 08:07:32 pm »
Those scrolls have been shown at least 3 times in a past as a teleportation method. So it's most likely the case this time as well.
Meaning: they aren't locked literally inside a scroll, but rather been transported to someplace else, most likely behind bars.

Now you're thinking with portals!

Enkida

• Collared Pet
    • View Profile
    • Baldur's Gate Portraits
« Reply #718 on: August 28, 2009, 02:51:51 pm »
After reading the last couple of pages I can see why Maytag thought Crest reminded her a little of herself.  He has a bit of the same attitude doesn't he?  Except as far as I can see, he doesn't have the joker suit or the infinite bag of magic tricks to back it up.  It's nice Crest character development in all, I'm starting to actually like him as his own character rather than think of him as "the new Regina."
2 kids = no more comics, but you can still find me doing BG portraits now and then

Yahappynow

« Reply #719 on: August 28, 2009, 08:17:10 pm »
I don't want to double someone else's post, but do we know that Suspi says "Let's check the neck one..."?