Author Topic: Chapter 21: Discussion  (Read 165399 times)

Tropico

Re: Chapter 21: Discussion
« Reply #60 on: April 26, 2009, 12:16:48 pm »
Wow, very nice and unexpected (for me at least), good to see Maytag growing as a character.

erana

« Reply #61 on: April 26, 2009, 06:27:47 pm »
Thats the beautiful thing about Maytag and Bernadette. Although they come from opposite ends of the spectrum, they're not trying to force either of their own ideals upon the other but rather they're pushing themselves to tolerate and accept each other.  Certainly, Maytag has expressed how she would like to have Bern be more liberal and share an open relationship with her, just as Bern has now expressed that she'd like Maytag to settle down with her alone. But neither has forced their thinking upon the other.

They are, however, voluntarily compromising on their beliefs and actions because of their love for one another.  Maytag understands that while Bern can tolerate her sexual escapades, it still hurts her, just as Bern has come to understand that while Maytag can tone down her urges, it makes her feel trapped.  So they're working together to find a common ground where Maytag can pose for nude drawings and have her nights on the town while Bern can still feel like their affections and bond is something unique and special between them.

I must congratulate you, Charles.  :-* You have expressed my own views so perfectly that you spared me a hundred words of my usual verbosity, to be replaced by a simple "I agree".

Enkida

• Collared Pet
    • View Profile
    • Baldur's Gate Portraits
« Reply #62 on: April 27, 2009, 12:55:07 am »
Forget all that.  I want to know what happened to Bloody Mary.  I'm kind of hoping but not expecting that the little face-wrapped magician girl-woman (I forgot her name) won't get her.
2 kids = no more comics, but you can still find me doing BG portraits now and then

charles

• Harem Master
  • LAWNMOWER MASACRE
    • MSN Messenger - charles_wilkinson@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • google profile
    • Email
« Reply #63 on: April 27, 2009, 01:09:45 am »
@Enikida: There was a side-story on Bloody Mary posted here not long ago which followed what became of her, but it's been removed now and will be included as exclusive content for the printed "Book 4" when it comes out.

I will say that she was still alive by that story's end so its possible that she'll show up again later in the comic (maybe even this very chapter).
CLAN OF THE CATS IS MAKING A COMEBACK! JUNE 8th.  BE THERE!

charles

• Harem Master
  • LAWNMOWER MASACRE
    • View Profile
    • google profile
    • Email
« Reply #64 on: April 27, 2009, 04:55:46 pm »
*APPLAUDS*

Beautiful Brion, just beautiful.

CrystalDragonSpaceMarine

• Eternal Lover
  • Show me your enemies.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #65 on: April 27, 2009, 05:02:55 pm »
*cue*

AWWWWwww...

Xshu

« Reply #66 on: April 27, 2009, 08:54:37 pm »
What they said.

Razzly

• Erotic
  • Contrast.
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 28, 2009, 03:38:55 am »
Great.  :-*
Winner of Brion Foulke's "cute little panda"-award.
"Mutta rukous on vain mutina tuulessa, ei sitä kukaan kuule..."

crazy_razor

• Slave Groupie
  • i feel like i can dream, too.
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
    • Email
« Reply #68 on: April 28, 2009, 02:32:32 pm »
Bern's hands look really nicely drawn on this page. Good on ya, Brion.
Also they are saying all this stuff in front of everyone else in the carriage. Awwwwwkwarrrd....

erana

« Reply #69 on: April 29, 2009, 03:25:58 am »
Crest seems to be taking to this "oh, dear, my plan to get Maytag totally got obsolete" situation better than Nessy's "oh, crap, my plan to bag Maytag totally backfired" complaining.

Maybe I'm reading too much in Crest's lack of angsty reaction at realizing that now he'lll probably never get his crush, but seems coherent with the character (read: spine) growth he's shown since Lady Bernadette :-* is teaching him. He's not just able to rally Vajra to overcome fear and help Bern: he's also able to rally himself to take a huge romantic blow with some dignity. 

Nessy, OTOH... She just out-emoed Emo Crest big time. I half expect her running to update her SorceryJournal account with "F*** my life" comments and/or bad poetry. No idea if Brion has any character growth planned for her, but she still acts pretty inmature. (Even though she had a few wake-up calls to maturity in the last few chapters, she seems to have hit the "snooze" button).

Also, Crest got cute puppy eyes in panel 2 :)

charles

• Harem Master
  • LAWNMOWER MASACRE
    • View Profile
    • google profile
    • Email
« Reply #70 on: April 29, 2009, 06:35:38 am »
Best Gaijin Manga lesbian kiss EVER.

Too many try to put sexuality into it, but this is just beautiful to behold.

Poor Inverness.  She's lost without her Kin.

Oddball

• Nymphomaniac!!
  • Me the 13th Duke of Wymbourne are they quite mad!
    • MSN Messenger - oddballsco@hotmail.co.uk
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - oddball24sco
    • View Profile
    • Myspace Profile
    • Email
« Reply #71 on: April 29, 2009, 06:40:32 am »
Get the feeling Nessy is going to go on a rampage soon. (should of stayed at home in the Loch)
What good is dreaming it if you don't actually do it?.

Pozf

• Nymphomaniac!!
  • What is a man?
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 29, 2009, 09:18:01 am »
She's surprisingly adorable when shes not being a complete asshat.
'Science is on the march. Don't get in its way.'

RoninAngel

• Eternal Lover
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #73 on: April 29, 2009, 09:56:03 am »
I feel bad for suspira. But I am glad everyone else is happy for now.
I got 99 problems but a nymphomaniac jester girl ain't one.

UmberIsSexy

• Erotic
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 29, 2009, 10:26:00 am »
I don't know...like Ronin was saying earlier, I think May just died a little inside.  And by a little I mean a lot.  I don't really see this as a happy point in the comic.  Well I guess technically, she cut out that part of herself about a week ago, but I think you can't do something like that without dying a little.

edit more: However, it may be worth it.  I sure hope so.  I mean, I probably would have made the same decision.  I mean, it's Bern we're talking about here.

Will she fail though and go back on her best intentions?  I think she's strong enough to see it through, and values honesty enough to not go behind Bern's back (again ::)), but will her spirit get the best of her?

edit: As for Nessy, I think she's justified in feeling jealous.  Sure, she vocalized it, which may not have been totally polite or whatnot, but May and Bern also just sapped around gratuitously about their relationship and then made out in front of everyone.  It's a comic - everyone's obviously vocalizing and expressing and slapping truth spells on each other more publicly than real people might.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2009, 10:39:19 am by UmberIsSexy »

RoninAngel

• Eternal Lover
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #75 on: April 29, 2009, 10:39:16 am »
Why do people keep calling Suspira "Iverness" or "Nessy" or whatever?  :'(

UmberIsSexy

• Erotic
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 29, 2009, 10:42:34 am »

Pozf

• Nymphomaniac!!
  • What is a man?
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 29, 2009, 10:43:34 am »
I might be mistaken but Nessy was Kin's nickname for her, and I think that Iverness is her actual name?

Edit: Damn you I was gonna do that

UmberIsSexy

• Erotic
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 29, 2009, 10:45:07 am »
 ;D

Pozf

• Nymphomaniac!!
  • What is a man?
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 29, 2009, 10:52:47 am »
I don't know...like Ronin was saying earlier, I think May just died a little inside.  And by a little I mean a lot.  I don't really see this as a happy point in the comic.  Well I guess technically, she cut out that part of herself about a week ago, but I think you can't do something like that without dying a little.

Even if she did die some inside (which she probably did) she was under the influence of the nagelring spell, which does not Force truth but strongly compels it. So we can assume shes being truthful, meaning she is obviously willing to give up apart of herself for he love. From what I've observed from movies, life, and other random things, this is definitely an "aww, how sweet" moment.

UmberIsSexy

• Erotic
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: April 29, 2009, 11:01:57 am »
Yeah I'm just not sure if I support monogamy as a natural human condition, while I do believe the best way to be a whole, healthy, complete, and powerful person is to live within one's nature.

Something like that anyway.

I feel like relationships are psychologically healthier in small doses.  Life is more about our relationship to ourselves than our faithfulness to another.  For a free bird to be caged in the spirit of "love", which is really just another word for "need" or at least codependency, seems more like a tragedy to me.

But having said all that, I probably would have made the same choice, so *shrug*.  In fact, I made almost that same choice in my life, with some differences, but very similar.  So I hope it works out for May because maybe that means there's hope for me.  But in the end, I have to say I was happier and healthier when I was single.  What I gained is a sense of purpose and commitment, but those feel more like heavy weights to bear than sources of great happiness.  *shrug* I dunno, I have mixed feelings...

edit: no, I shouldn't say I have mixed feelings...I have thoughts that tell me that I'm better off being a productive, upstanding, normal, whatever, member of society.  My feelings pretty much hate it all the time, even though I do love my SO.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2009, 11:07:50 am by UmberIsSexy »

Pozf

• Nymphomaniac!!
  • What is a man?
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 29, 2009, 11:21:13 am »
1. "even though I do love my SO." SO?

Yeah I'm just not sure if I support monogamy as a natural human condition, while I do believe the best way to be a whole, healthy, complete, and powerful person is to live within one's nature.

B. I'm not really sure how if it's human nature or not really makes a difference in this particular situation >.>;

And finally point Orange. Pie

UmberIsSexy

• Erotic
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 29, 2009, 11:26:27 am »
1. SO: significant other.  My wifey.  I do "love" her a lot - she's a good egg and we're very compatible.  I still say that what we usually call "love" is mostly need though.

B. Just trying to explain why I see it more as a tragic moment than a happy one.  It's bittersweet at best to me.  Just my own feeling.  The rest of my post was meant to tie that statement together with my overall view of the situation.  However, I should say that monogamy does seem to come perfectly naturally to some people.

Malki

« Reply #83 on: April 29, 2009, 11:30:47 am »
I wish Crest and Suspi would end up together. I dunno but I have a feeling like it's SO obvious.
And he DOES need to catch a break at some point... >.>

EDIT:
Maybe I'm reading too much in Crest's lack of angsty reaction at realizing that now he'lll probably never get his crush, but seems coherent with the character (read: spine) growth he's shown since Lady Bernadette :-* is teaching him. He's not just able to rally Vajra to overcome fear and help Bern: he's also able to rally himself to take a huge romantic blow with some dignity. 
Well technically he has been her student for just over a week now, so I don't know if it's correct to assume it was her influence. I think it was just the extraordionary situations he's been put in lately that forced him to take actions.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2009, 11:36:17 am by Malki »

akashayi

« Reply #84 on: April 29, 2009, 01:31:56 pm »
Crest has puppy dog eyes! Or cute hamster eyes. Completely unexpected and utterly compelling. He's such a voyeuristic fanboy!

,,,,,,,,,, o_O

o_O

It's also good that at this point Suspiria is too drained to throw a proper Suspiria tantrum.

contreras

• Tender Young Virgin
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #85 on: April 29, 2009, 02:08:21 pm »
the little face-wrapped magician girl-woman (I forgot her name)

Genkai

RoninAngel

• Eternal Lover
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #86 on: April 29, 2009, 02:58:09 pm »
Crest has puppy dog eyes! Or cute hamster eyes. Completely unexpected and utterly compelling. He's such a voyeuristic fanboy!

,,,,,,,,,, o_O

o_O

It's also good that at this point Suspiria is too drained to throw a proper Suspiria tantrum.
So are you.
So am I.
So is just about everyone here.

Watching chicks make out inspires the exact same reaction in me, and proud of it.  ;)
« Last Edit: April 29, 2009, 05:00:52 pm by RoninAngel »

charles

• Harem Master
  • LAWNMOWER MASACRE
    • View Profile
    • google profile
    • Email
« Reply #87 on: April 29, 2009, 04:44:00 pm »
Bandage Face = Qtalda

@Malki:  There's some information in the printed books that makes be think a relationship between Crest and Suspira would be disasterous.  It does seem like a good match on the surface but this tid bit of information made me realise just where it would lead.  But that doesn't mean that both of them can't grow and become a better match.  Inverness hasn't shown growth in as far as we've seen her, but only a few years ago, she was described as a shy, quiet girl before her powers begun to manifest.

It wouldn't surprise me if she's looked down on as a commoner at the University.  I get the impression that only the rich can afford to put their children through the education of the University, unless they become a Vespel sorcerer.  Inverness has had a free ride, thanks to the breaking of her seals without disolving tests.

Tropico

« Reply #88 on: April 29, 2009, 04:46:54 pm »
Whoa, little of the insensitive with the PDA right in the face (and they're sitting across from her in a cart, so literally RIGHT in the face) of the girl who just had her partner/boyfriend killed.

Or has enough comic-time already passed for her to have gotten over him?

Otherwise I agree Crest's face was a poem in this one, and with good reason.

Pozf

• Nymphomaniac!!
  • What is a man?
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: April 29, 2009, 04:49:23 pm »
Or has enough comic-time already passed for her to have gotten over him?

It's probably only been like a day, maybe two.