Author Topic: Flipside fan coloring  (Read 21196 times)

charles

• Harem Master
  • LAWNMOWER MASACRE
    • MSN Messenger - charles_wilkinson@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • google profile
    • Email
Re: Flipside fan coloring
« Reply #30 on: July 05, 2009, 06:58:20 am »
@Deatzh: Take it to your rage thread.
CLAN OF THE CATS IS MAKING A COMEBACK! JUNE 8th.  BE THERE!

Selan

• Heavenly Orgasmic
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 05, 2009, 10:57:31 am »
@Deatzh: Take it to your rage thread.

I don't think any of us should butt in on this...
That's the mods job... If the mod doesn't mind then it's fine.. Not our section hun ;)

BTW please do not reply to this post as this is also not a thread to discuss anything but the topic that it's about... And that's basicly what they where doing in the first place.

Tropico

« Reply #32 on: July 05, 2009, 02:17:39 pm »
That's the mods job... If the mod doesn't mind then it's fine.. Not our section hun ;)

No offense dude, but saying that? Also the mod's job. Not your section either, hun.

@Valenthesial: You're doing a fine job, keep going. As you probably know, Brion has said time and time again that he is just fine with people coloring his work and displaying it on the forum, in fact he has encouraged it on more than one occasion. You do the right thing by not listening to a pathetic artsy-fartsy prima donna who seems just desperate to prove to the world that she knows more than everyone.

@Deatzh: You may believe you are just chock-full of super-important and valuable insights about art, but that doesn't change that fact that nobody cares :) You're angry that he just blew off your original advice... but that's fine, because you deserve to have your original advice blown off by everybody, because your "advice" is nothing but a braggart's worthless self-serving drivel, that is of no use to anybody, much less someone who is really making an effort to improve.

@Valenthesial again: Dude... waiting for the next one, and make her a blonde this time ;)
« Last Edit: July 05, 2009, 02:25:24 pm by Tropico »

charles

• Harem Master
  • LAWNMOWER MASACRE
    • View Profile
    • google profile
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: July 05, 2009, 02:35:22 pm »
@Tropico:  I think we all need to stop stoking this fire now.  Goes for me to.

@Valenthesial: I feel a seperate discussion is forming in your colouring thread about how appropriate it is to colour other's art without their permission or informing them first (among other discussions).  If you see this as a seperate line of discussion, you may wish to ask that Deatzh (as the mod of this area) seperates the appropriate posts and redirects them either to "The Debate Room" or the "Talk to the Moderators" area for further discussion and debate on these topics there.

Pozf

• Nymphomaniac!!
  • What is a man?
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 05, 2009, 02:38:25 pm »
you may wish to ask that Deatzh (as the mod of this area)

Wrong area Charles :P.

Only Brion has mod capability here in the Flipside discussion.
'Science is on the march. Don't get in its way.'

charles

• Harem Master
  • LAWNMOWER MASACRE
    • View Profile
    • google profile
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: July 05, 2009, 02:57:15 pm »
*lol* I just presumed this thread must be part of the "Artist's Den" *LOL* :-[

Valenthesial

« Reply #36 on: July 06, 2009, 11:30:56 am »
*lol* I just presumed this thread must be part of the "Artist's Den" *LOL* :-[

rofl. I might have chosen the wrong forum for it then?
As I was viewing it (and I guess I still am), it is flipside related since it is directly involved with the actual comic.

I guess I wasn't really thinking of it as "art" when I begun this (also wasn't that familiar with the forum structure as I just newly joined when posting this ;))
If I'm not bothering anyone by being in this forum part, I'd rather stay here. It's rather comfy in here! (maybe except for the occasional storm coming in  ;D)

charles

• Harem Master
  • LAWNMOWER MASACRE
    • View Profile
    • google profile
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: July 06, 2009, 07:15:12 pm »
Humility is one of the greatest displays of courage.

Now HUGS!

I'm looking forward to the next cover page.  Maybe we can all give it a crack and see what we come up with.

Brion Foulke

• Administrator
  • Experimental
    • AOL Instant Messenger - flipsider99
    • View Profile
    • www.flipsidecomics.com
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: July 07, 2009, 09:20:47 pm »
Thanks for apologizing, Deatzh.

Sorry, I've been in L.A. for the last week, so I haven't been paying any attention to this thread.  But I just want to state a few things for the record:

Delusions' colors are mostly the official colors, with a few minor exceptions (Like Bern's scarf / clothes on the chapter 10 cover.)  Of course, you are free to interpret the colors any way you like in your own version.  I have no problem with you using my lineart as a practice exercise for your coloring, and posting it here for critique.  If it's good enough, there's always the chance that I'll use it.  That is how Karla became one of my colorists after all, when she submitted her own colored version of chapter 4's cover.

Valenthesial, I'm not really much of a colorist myself, but I do know a little bit about it.  It looks like you've put a lot of effort into those color pieces, and I appreciate that.  However, there are some basic things you need to brush up on.  Your shading needs a lot of work, it doesn't have any "depth" so it tends to make the characters look flat, especially on the skin tones.  For example, Suspiria's leg in the pic from chapter 13 looks really bad because you've just added a solid line of shading to the right side; it makes her leg look flat, instead of rounded like it should look.  Also, a big problem with most of your shading is that you seem to be using black for shadows.  Generally this tends to create an ugly look... take a look at a lot of colorists and you'll notice that they use colors for shadows, almost never black.  This is also why the scarf on the banner you colored looks kind of ugly, because of the heavy black shading.

Quite frankly, I'm no expert so I can't offer you much more than basic advice.  The best advice I can give you is to go on the web and study up on some of the great colorists out there, and try to learn from them.  It won't happen overnight, but I can tell that you have the fortitude to stick with it, if you keep practicing you will eventually get there.  You have the talent, you just need more experience.  I hope this criticism is useful to you, and please feel free to keep posting your coloring exercises here on the forum if you'd like.

As for people who have been rude in this thread, I will chat with them in PM about it.  Please try to keep things civil.

Brion Foulke

• Administrator
  • Experimental
    • AOL Instant Messenger - flipsider99
    • View Profile
    • www.flipsidecomics.com
    • Email
« Reply #40 on: July 08, 2009, 02:32:05 am »
Uh, I should have said, almost *all* of the chapter covers are official.  There are a few minor exceptions, but usually the colors are dictated by me.

Smiles

• Nymphomaniac!!
  • Easter is gonna be great!Heard he will Rise Again!
    • View Profile
    • AnimeCentral
    • Email
« Reply #41 on: July 10, 2009, 10:12:09 pm »
I love all the neat colorings and ideas for colorings of the fab world of flipside.

I thought  Valenthesial was doing a good job with it. really. everyone has to start somewhere. I wouldn't get near that in color intensity on my own.
 Good point about minimizing the use of black for shading. try more earthy tones. ;) or darker shades of the same color.

And i like playing with different colors on the same characters myself. when I get a coloring book I usually make a copy first so I can use multiple color variances. then I can pick my favorites. :-*... it's been a while since I colored anything that wasn't my own.  makes me reminisce my neopets days...
Just loving it! :-*
let's sit and chat a while and see if I don't make you smile .;)

Chag4

• Kinky
  • PM of awkwardness
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 11, 2009, 03:00:25 pm »
I like the green for Nessy's hair.
If it goes right with all the other colourings, it should feel natural even though green isn't a natural hair colour in "the real world".
Just plodding along.

charles

• Harem Master
  • LAWNMOWER MASACRE
    • View Profile
    • google profile
    • Email
« Reply #43 on: July 11, 2009, 05:16:51 pm »
I had a thought the other day that maybe she could have a different pastel colour for her hair depending on her mood.  Both times we've seen colour in her hair, it's been in her "normal/neutral" hair style.  The only difference is that in one, she was casting a spell (so it was still the normal style but just very long).

Smiles

• Nymphomaniac!!
    • View Profile
    • AnimeCentral
    • Email
« Reply #44 on: July 12, 2009, 12:26:16 am »
well I kinda imagined her hair changing colors as well as styles as it changes with her mood. *shrugs* maybe that's just me though.

Toga

« Reply #45 on: July 23, 2009, 03:21:50 am »
Prett sweet colouring there, Valen. Love the detail on Nessy's hair.

Yahappynow

« Reply #46 on: August 04, 2009, 05:50:28 pm »
Hey so I'm doing a Crest cosplay... it's almost finished - I went with the dark blue/electric blue on the shirt as I mostly see it, except for the Chapter 13 cover... but I choose to attribute that to the purple haze he's chillin' in.  I used the Bloody Mary colored panels for a lot of my reference, even though the coloring is sort of tweaked for lighting.  For instance, Crest's goggles (which I made from brass, in keeping with every other coloring) are grey in this lighting.  I went with a grey for the bag-belt and backpack, as it seemed legit.  The sword, however is currently wood-stain colored sitting at my bench.

Thus I ask opinions on its coloring, or any references I missed.  I know the blade is a steel color, but that was all but given.  I can tell the grip has some kind of wrapping, which I would assume to be some sort of color, but I have no idea of the rest of the hilt.  Even in the greyscale frames it switches freely between black and white.  Any thoughts?

EDIT: what I've done so far http://www.cosplay.com/photo/2192384/
« Last Edit: August 04, 2009, 08:59:45 pm by Yahappynow »

Yahappynow

« Reply #47 on: August 06, 2009, 11:41:54 pm »
That, and my own fan coloring:

Razzly

• Erotic
  • Contrast.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 07, 2009, 01:15:21 pm »
That's actually really, really funny... Made me chuckle out loud here.
Winner of Brion Foulke's "cute little panda"-award.
"Mutta rukous on vain mutina tuulessa, ei sitä kukaan kuule..."

Smiles

• Nymphomaniac!!
    • View Profile
    • AnimeCentral
    • Email
« Reply #49 on: August 17, 2009, 09:07:34 am »
that's cool happy. it's really dark. i like the section of Bern covering her mouth.

Yahappynow

« Reply #50 on: August 17, 2009, 03:27:24 pm »
Well that's actually a colored panel... I just added the shoop -___-

ury

« Reply #51 on: August 23, 2009, 09:14:07 am »
Some thoughts on the colored banner:
Isn't Suspirias arms and neck disappearing a bit with your coloring? In the uncolored version, it is clear that she has her arms stretched above her head, and I think they should have a skin toning instead of being black, blue and green. The full panel is shown in chapter 14, p 23, and gives a better idea about what is hair, what is skin and what is just background.
And in your version, Bloody Mary's forehead has turned the same color as her hair.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2009, 09:42:07 am by ury »